1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G NPR Piston Rings won’t fit

Posted by xv_dsm, Dec 10, 2019

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. xv_dsm

xv_dsm Probationary Member

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    North Charleston, South Carolina
    So I finally bought a oem piston since one of the original was damaged and it’s the same size as the others. I went along and purchased some NPR Piston Rings for it but when I went to put the oil rings in, with only 2 in, and they were already tight and the third ring wouldn’t even go in. It did this with the other 3 pistons. I wondering if I’m doing anything wrong or if I should check something else or if I simply have the wrong part. If I have the wrong part then is anybody willing to buy it off me I can’t find the receipt.

Attached Files:

Street Build 169  2

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    It seems you got a wrong set. I assume that you have a set of 2g pistons, the oil rings in the pics won't fit with your 2g pistons. The ring set in the pics is for 1g. You need a ring set for 2g 95-99.

Drag Race Build 1K  2

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    xv_dsm likes this.
  3. xv_dsm

Joined Sep 3, 2019
    @DSMPT I had a feeling that’s what it was for. I read that mitsubishi oem pistons are very reliable do you know how the two work and which one would you prefer ?

Street Build 169  2

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. DSMPT

DSMPT Proven Member

Joined Jun 12, 2014
    Japan / Mexico, Arizona
    2g pistons have higher compression ratio and lager diameter wrist pins than 1g 6 bolt. If you have 2g pistons, get a ring set for 2g pistons. that would be the easiest and cheapest.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019

Drag Race Build 1K  2

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 1K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · automatic · 2G DSM
    xv_dsm likes this.
  5. xv_dsm

Joined Sep 3, 2019