The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Not starting

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New update:

While the MAP sensors work, the car is still running extremely, extremely rich. Came to find out that the MAP sensor is reading max pressure while the ignition is just turned to 'on'. Both sensors showed that and while applying vacuum directly to the sensor, I did manage to get a -16 in/hg reading.

Altering the altitude setting didn't change anything.

It would be cool if anyone could have some insight as to what would cause that to happen.

I am going to send out the ECU tomorrow to verify that the board and the chip itself is fine.

I also decided to check for more DTC codes and checking the Evap/EGR/MDP caused a P1300 code to show, "Ignition timing circuit adjustment malfunction". The MAP sensor is tied into the MDP circuit.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't assume that both of those sensors I let you barrow are good. Like I said, my buddy pulled them out of 2 wrecked cars he had sitting at his shop. He got the cars wrecked and said they ran, but couldn't guarantee that the sensors were perfect. I'm guessing that at least one of them is functional, but just keep that in the back of your mind.

Will do Nate, I'm thinking of just getting a new electronic boost gauge setup and use its MAP sensor for both gauge and logging. The wiring would be hooked up directly at the ECU to eliminate wiring harness issues.

On that note, I sent the shop info on the wiring and all accioated sensors/ECU pins that are linked through the MDP wiring.

I found it odd my TPS voltage randomly lowered to 0.61v from 0.64v. It may havjust been bumped but the TPS does connect to the MDP and this the MAP sensor.

I have a new GM-style OmniPower 4 bar if you need it for testing.

Thanks Eric, unfortunatly I already sent out the ECU so it's not viable to do now. I also went ahead and ordered an AEM digital boost gauge. I'll just be hooking up the supplied MAP sensor to the ECU for logging and doing so will eliminate a lot of questionable items.

I've also wanted to upgrade to it anyway so when's better than now :p

Brian, I still do want to test out the PTU some more since I am receiving that P1300 code. I doubt it came on since I had the check box for grounding the timing pin. It's just an odd code to be getting right now.

Yes, but I need to also verify the chip is fine as well.

I just need to wait for my ECU to com back from ECMTuning for verification and it should hopefully start up. The new MAP sensor works well as it should.

I'm just concerned at the fact I lost a jug of oil somehow.

Filled it up after the build. Shop tried running it with the bad MAP which caused MASSIVE amounts of smoke for I don't know how long. ECU was injecting fuel idle with a WOT air signalfrom the MAP.

They said it smelled like fuel,however I was practically empty on oil. No leaks anywhere,I didn't mess with valves when the head was off but there are new valve seals.

Haven't done a compression test yet nor did I check the turbo yet either. I hope the head gasket sealed properly; did a 4 step torque process on my L19 studs.

Got the car started with the new MAP sensor provided from the AEM digital boost gauge I installed.

I'm now dealing with insane idle surge and before anything has been done, we decided that it's most likely from:

1. Coolant needing final filling since it wasn't ran before. Reading 88* when it's 50* out.
2. Fuel saturated oil causing vapors to be sucked into the intake. Which is also noted by a large negative combined FT %.
3. Timing possibly, needs adjusted with the light since 1g CAS has been removed.

My guess is that I lost a lot of oil last time from it being burned out. Reasoning is since the oil is saturated with fuel and the walls were washed, there wasn't such a good seal for the rings allowing oil to get by.

There was very little smoke on this start.

Also for anyone that may be interested, you can use (at least AEM) the MAP sensor being tied into the gauge and ECU for speed density use. I don't know if it's the voltage or what, but I had to adjust the altitude to 1050' for a 0.0 reading on Link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I'm not sure. I'm still using mine that was on the vehicle. I never got around to testing it out to see if there are any variances between the two which I think I may still do however.

Well I found my idle surge problems as well today.

My IAC was acting funny so I replaced it with a smoother operating spare I have. I reset my throttle cable and stop screw position. I found multiple boost leaks.

BISS oring
#1 lower injector seal
Intake manifold gasket

I have no clue as to how the IM gasket is leaking. It's a brand new Felpro gasket and it was copper sprayed. I tightened all the bolts with enough hand pressure to be at or above the 8.7-11 ft/lb torque and I got the 2 outside nuts to 26 ft/lbs.

My only guess is either I should tighten some more or the flange surface is warped. Maybe a thicker gasket would work better?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back