The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G No spark in cylinders 2 and 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hricik

Probationary Member
May 21, 2013
lehighton, Pennsylvania
i have no spark in cylinder 2 and 3. i have changed the coils, plugs, wires, cas, ignition module, and ecu. does anyone else no what to check for i dont know what else it could be

Did you make sure the parts you changed them with were known good?

Seems like the next step is to check the electrical wires running to and from the cas, coils, ignition module, ecu, etc.

Good luck!

Let me break this down for you:
When your not getting spark on 2 cylinders, it most means 1 thing. Your cas sensor on top left side of the head (97-99) or under camgear (95-96). And your crank sensor, it sits on the timing side down the block on oil pump frontcase.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me break this down for you:
When your not getting spark on 2 cylinders, it most means 1 thing. Your cas sensor on top left side of the head (97-99) or under camgear (95-96). And your crank sensor, it sits on the timing side down the block on oil pump frontcase.
Good luck and keep us updated.

Can someone corroborate this? This is extremely interesting. I did not know that was the case.

This is actually true, I had the same situation as the o.p before. Got me to a point where I had to give up. Did not leave any forums of searching. Accidently i saw it on dsmtalk. It did not make sense at first. i was like ill try it nothing to loose, better than its just going to sit. Cam sensor didnt make change at idle, crank turned it off right away. Took out the intake camgear, and sensor was cracked. Changed the sensor, all pistons were getting spark and ran smooth :)

Its the same idea as the 1g cas

i think the left side of the coil pack is for crank sensor and right side of coilpack is for cas or cam sensor.
To check when the car is idling, unplug the cam/cas sensor and see if any difference. Then clip it back and samething for crank sensor, unclip it and see differnce. One of them should be it, since you changed mostly everything.
THIS IS ALL BS! Don't believe ANY of it. The CAS and CPS are involved in spark production but not at all the way he states. I'm really tempted to report him. One more post like this Night devil and you're through.

Here's the correct spark components and how to test them: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/mai...doesnt-wont-start-merged-2.html#post151265626.

THIS IS ALL BS! Don't believe ANY of it. The CAS and CPS are involved in spark production but not at all the way he states. I'm really tempted to report him. One more post like this Night devil and you're through.

Here's the correct spark components and how to test them: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/mai...doesnt-wont-start-merged-2.html#post151265626.

For me it was not BS as your saying. I actually did it myself and it worked. Im not telling him to get different parts or anything. I told you I found it on dsmtalk, did not make sense to me at first, but i had nothing to loose of trying. I do not know why your taking it to that point but i was trying to help as much as i can, because i was in that spot before. But thanks alot man.

OK for everyone, here's the CAS, CPS skinny.

The CAS (cam angle sensor) determines which cylinder pair to fire (1&4 or 2&3). The CPS (crank position sensor) tells the ECU when to fire, so without CPS no cylinder gets spark. Without the CAS it always defaults to one cylinder pair (either 1&4 or 2&3 I forget).

However there are other things that also can make only 2 cylinders to fire: Bad ECU, one bad power transistor, one bad coil, bad spark plug wire, bad wires between ECU, power transistor, coil, or CAS.

Night devil was just lucky that everything else was working and his CAS wasn't when he disconnected it thus apparently pointing to a bad CAS.

NOTE: If your CAS is working and you disconnect it, you will also only get 2 cylinders to fire which is why this is a bad and misleading test.

Last edited:
You mean everything else was changed to brand new parts because of this problem, even the old ones were couple of months old. New coil pack, new plugs, new plug wires, new power transistor and took the ecu and engine harness from my other car (running) and still same issue, till it was the sensor, that why i told you earlier, i had nothing else to loose. Thank you for clearing my point, now its making a better sense for me and rest of us.

Easy way to save you time is swap coil 1&4 with 2&3, and see where your spark is. If 2&3 have spark but now 1&4 are with out you just sovled your problem.

i had the exsact same problem in my 95. i had to diagnose the coil, then the cas, then i checked the power transister, then swapped ecus, then checked continuity between all the ignition componants. turns out the actual metal runner that goes between the cas was bent and i had to get a new intake cam gear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back