The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

1G No spark in cylinder 3, but 4,2,1 have spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLYMOUTH TURBO

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2008
lake forest, California
I have been having a problem with a no start since 3 weeks ago,had no spark in 2&3,replaced te CAS,coilpack power transistor now I don't spark in cylinder 3 only,what should I look for,I need help

Yeah try the coilpack and wires 1st.

I don't think its my coilpack,I swapped over a good one,I don't inderstand how there is spark in 4,2,1, but not 3,but 2&3 coil works together,so I'm confusedWTF,btw I bought new ngk spark plugs/wires no difference

Could it really be an injector driver in my ecu causing this problem,my caps are in mint condition,what does the injector driver look like

I don't think its my coilpack,I swapped over a good one,I don't inderstand how there is spark in 4,2,1, but not 3,but 2&3 coil works together,so I'm confusedWTF,btw I bought new ngk spark plugs/wires no difference

Reset the ECU and check for spark on 3 again. Your correct that the ignition is paired by cylinders. If you still have the same problem you should start looking for shorts of the secondary to ground. You won't get spark on 2 unless there is some path to ground other than the plug on 3.

Have you put the old coil back in?

Reset the ECU and check for spark on 3 again. Your correct that the ignition is paired by cylinders. If you still have the same problem you should start looking for shorts of the secondary to ground. You won't get spark on 2 unless there is some path to ground other than the plug on 3.

Have you put the old coil back in?

Were is the secondary ground located at, my original coilpack was bad,it didn't have spark in 2&3

Were is the secondary ground located at, my original coilpack was bad,it didn't have spark in 2&3

Seriously?

The ignition coil is a transformer and has two parts. The primary is the low voltage winding that is connected to the battery and grounded by the power transistor to charge the magnetic field. The secondary is the high voltage winding and runs to the two spark plugs. When the current in the primary is turn off the voltage in the secondary rises until it exceeds the breakdown voltage at the spark plug gap and then a spark is formed allowing the secondary winding to discharge.

Our cars use what's called a wasted spark. The secondary sits between the two spark plugs and when the coil is fired two sparks are created, one from the ground electrode (block) to the center electrode of the plug in one cylinder and another from the center electrode of the plug to the ground electrode (block).

So the secondary on the coil is between the two spark plug towers on a coil and the primary is the terminals on the bottom. The diagnostic procedure has you measure the resistance between the connectors but in this case you looking for resistance between the tower and ground. It's should be infinite. You may also have an internal short.

It sounds like you threw parts (and possibly used parts) at the problem rather than debug it. When you do that you don't usually know what the problem really was. Are you sure both the coil and transistor were really bad. Did you put the original parts back on after the replacement didn't fix the problem?

oddly I had the same problem and soon after my starter went out. I replaced the starter and so far so good. Check for oil near your starter and also make sure your battery to chassis and intake grounds are good and clean. nevermind no good

Last edited:
personal experience with the ecu going bad exact same problem, just grab one off ebay for cheap and swap them out it worked for me

i had no spark one cylinder 3 swapped out the ecu and kept going almost 2 years no problems... this was with a 90 Plymouth laser

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back