1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G No power no lights good battery

Posted by TSiturbo001, Oct 24, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. TSiturbo001

TSiturbo001 Proven Member

Joined Nov 16, 2002
    Need help troubleshooting this one.. cars 100% dead. No lights, hazards, crank, literally nothing. Battery is good. Terminals are brand new, zero corrosion. Jumped it still nothing. No fuses blown in inside or engine bay. I'm stumped. Car was running fine and was about to start it and it cranked a couple times and then nothing.

2. JeffGS-T97

JeffGS-T97 Supporting Member

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Muncie, Indiana
    Do you have another vehicle to take the battery down to a parts store to get it load tested? I believe almost all the parts stores provide the service for free. I have had that happen before on a battery i thought was good. I would start there.

Street Build 2K  8

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. JKSleepers

JKSleepers Supporting Member

Joined Oct 24, 2020
    Cale May, New Jersey
    I had the exact same issue in mine. Check the ground cable where it connects to the body of the car. If it’s the same issue as mine there is some corrosion there that doesn’t allow the negative terminal to even ground to the car ultimately not allowing the circuit to complete. Without this the car will act as though no battery is even connected. The quick way to check this is to move the cables by hand with the battery connected. If you hear a click and it seems power is back on then that is your issue. I hope this helps.

Road Race Build 234  11

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. TSiturbo001

Joined Nov 16, 2002
    I will try a new battery yes. Did you jump yours and still not see any power though?

5. TSiturbo001

Joined Nov 16, 2002
    The ground to the chassis is clean and tight. I did mess with it already with no luck. Wish it was that easy of a fix haha. Thanks

6. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a blown fuseable link to me, that or the fuseable link wire going from the back of the starter to the fuse box is either loose or corroded or burnt.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. JKSleepers

Joined Oct 24, 2020
    Cale May, New Jersey
    Yes, same exact issue even when trying to jump the car. I see your other post saying you already messed with the wiring with negres. Do you have a multimeter by chance? If so. Do you know how to use one well? If not I can walk you through it. I literally did this two days ago over the phone with someone who had issues with their galant.

Road Race Build 234  11

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. TSiturbo001

Joined Nov 16, 2002
    I dont know much about the electrical system in these, but what am i missing? All fuses are good. It's there somewhere else i should be looking? Is there a large fuse or circuit breaker on these cars i should be looking for? Going to re-check all wiring from battery to fuse box tomorrow.

Yes i have one and will continue on with it tomorrow. I ran out of daylight unfortunately. I appreciate the offer. Might just take u up on that!

9. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    There are two battery boxes, one under the hood and one under the dash, again after checking what the other guy mentioned, I would check the connections on the back of the starter maybe loosen them and then tighten them again, and then look for a burnt wire if all else fails.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    All fuse are good? How did you check them, with your multimeter?

11. JeffGS-T97

Joined Mar 22, 2019
    Muncie, Indiana
    I have a slow charger in the garage that i hooked it to to get a good charge on it over a few hours it didn't help so i took it down to an autozone had them load test it to see if it had good cranking amps and the battery failed when under load. I just do that test first to eliminate a bad battery then i move to the wiring. All of the other suggestions are very good ones as well.

Street Build 2K  8

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. TSiturbo001

Joined Nov 16, 2002
    Battery was toast. Worked fine with a new one. Never expected it to act that way even with a jump AND with it reading 12+ v with a meter. Thanks all for the replies.

JeffGS-T97 and steve like this.
  13. JKSleepers

Joined Oct 24, 2020
    Cale May, New Jersey
    Glad you got it sorted out!

Road Race Build 234  11

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  14. JeffGS-T97

Joined Mar 22, 2019