The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

New Tranny, New problems....Grind/Drag in 1st gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byrd

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Charlotte, North_Carolina
Ok,

Well Vinman and I installed the Premium Transmission from Jackstransmissions on Sunday and it went relatively smooth until the startup and drive. Keep in mind we didn't touch the clutch at all during install, simply bell housing/transfer off and new stuff on. My symptoms:

1. From a stop in neutral, nothing
2. Clutch in, rev.... nothing
3. Clutch in, rev, clutch out like normal I get a grinding/jumbling noise. As soon as I get going though the noise goes away (about 2,750-3,000 rpm). When I hit the gas and near boost the grinding sound comes back also.

I haven't had this noise in 3rd-5th at all. Only in 1st and a little in 2nd. Once I'm in 2nd gear and downshift to first there's no noise in first. :steaming:

Here's what I've done to try and fix:
1. Bled the slave cylinder completely. Submerged in gear oil while buddy pushing the clutch in numerous times. Are these things known to be bi*** to bleed and I need to go out and do it more or what?
2. Adjusted Clutch using this movie
3. The clutch fork isn't hitting the bellhousing at all.
4. The slave is relatively new, and seems to be working right but I may need a new one so it can adjust to this tranny?

1. Can a master cylinder be bled in a 1g? I was searching for the bleeder valve and couldn't find it in the engine compartment and it didn't look feasible under the dash.

2. Could the clutch fork be bent even though I didn't have this problem with the old trans?

3. Could it be the install of the transfer case to the trans? they were both 22 spline and although a bi*** to get in she went.

4. Could it be just that's it's a new transmission and it needs to get broken in and all crazy sounds should be written off as normal? At first there were weird almost whistling noises with the grind but now it's just in first and a little in second.

I'm using shockproof heavy weight and valvoline 80w90 in a 50/50 mix in the trans and heavy weight in the transfercase. The clutch seems to be dragging but I don't know anything about trannies and this noise makes me cringe.

Any help?! I'm going to also call jack and if I can't figure it out it's going to a transmission shop and I really don't want to have to spend any more then I already have.

Thanks,
Alex

first, you might bleed your slave cylinder in DOT3 oil, Not in gear oil. No you cannot bleed the master cylinder, its the same thing than a break system. The master cylinder don't need the be bleed cause it could'nt have air in it since the line is after the master and goes through the slave. so the air is located in the line and need to be expulsed by the slave.

and what about your TOB, how many miles on it?

Thanks for the response. It looked to be ok and it has <5K easy miles on it. It didn't do it with the old transmission and we used the same TOB.

I meant DOT oil I just had gear oil on my mind. Have you had experience with a bad TOB? I'll look into it.

yes i'm just actually having trouble with my TOB and i'm waiting for a new one from extreme psi. Symptoms was silly sound in neutral and knocking sound too. when i was sligthly pushing on the cluth pedal silly noise was really more loud and knocking sound the same. when clutch fully on the floor then, no sound at all. When i was driving there was always a consistent silly sound, due to the bearing having slight contact with the pressure plate

I would call up Jack and tell him what is happening before you drive it anymore. He is very knowledgeable and will help you out expecially since you did business with him.

Here's a vid guys. Turn your speakers up loud to hear it.

The whiring sound you hear in reverse was the same sound I got in first when I first started the car after the install, it's since gone away going forward though.

I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff so please let me know what you think.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is throwing me for loops.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back