The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New to DSM's Help me out lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechanix565

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 19, 2009
Pawtucket, Rhode_Island
so ya guys i used to be big into 5.0 mustangs but i jus bought a talon and im hooked. i got a 90 talon tsi 5 speed only thing is its fwd. o well but heres my question im in the process of rebuilding the motor (im a mechanic) and i saw the balance shaft eliminator kits. how much work is involved in doing that and is it worthwhile? secondly i wanna re use the stock pistons because they are in great shape i had the head ported polished and had a valve job done so stock pistons will be fine i think but would a t4 turbo be a good idea? obviously im puttin a good front mount intercooler in it but i wanna run like 10-15 psi will i burn holes in the stock pistons? and what fuel system upgrades do i need to do and what ecu upgrades do i need for 15 psi? any suggestions to how i can get some cheap power would be awesome thanks guys

I would definitely do the balance shaft eliminator to prevent future problems. If you are rebuoilding the motor it shouldnt be that hard just gotta plug up some holes ROFL. T4 seems like a little big and only 15psi doesnt seem like it's going to be too responsive. maybe just a 16g and more boost so thatway you're not lagging so much. And it could net you 300+ to the wheels , with 650 injectors and a few minor upgrades. just my .02

thanks alot im gonna be honest ive neever built a turbo motor before i always used to stick with v8's how much boost can i run through them stock pistons before i burn a hole through them?

well stock piston hold 400+ hp on 6 bolt motors witch you have. If you took the pistons out get new rings for sure but if you didnt then your fine I would for sure replace main bearings and get main studs. balance shaft eliminator kit isnt to hard to do and its worth do gain a lil hp and have better rev's. You should get mls headgasket and studs before you put the head and for turbo you should do an evo3 16G you would wont this over a T4 turbo if your only staying under 20psi and maybe get a 2g exhaust mani and get it ported and same with o2 housing with 3" exhaust.

ya i got all new rings and bearings for it so i should stud the main and the heads? can i run more than 20psi? or will i start having problems? i want as much power as i can posibly get on them stock pistons. i plan on changning the cams down the road as well. i want to get a nice header and lose the cast iron manifold

Yeah the Evo 3 16g is ## best bet. Like Ova said you are good to 400+ and the turbo will get you decently close and you will love how fast it will spool. since you said cheap horsepower you can get a second gem mani port it, some of the turbo headers are ridiculously overpriced. also some website had a sale on the evo 3 16 g's for 499 which is a great deal . check out that turbo before you decide

so if i get 650 injecotrs, a 16g turbo elimate the balance shafts get a front mount intercooler a header and a 3 inch exhaust with no cat an underdrive crank pulley, upgrade the throttle body, and get it tuned what am i lookin at for power and whats a safe number to run for boost everyday driving

You will have to get at least an Afc or something to control the injectors, and probably a 190 lph pump to be safe you have enough fuel. you should be able to get around 300awhp at a little over 20psi, but every car is different. Make sure to get a good clutch as well . you don't want to be slippin down the road.

I would stick to iorn cast because tubular header will crack unless you get a really good one and those are $$$ but get a 2g one instead of the 1g. 20 psi you would need some kind of tune maybe afc or dsmlink with 550-650 injectors and maybe do clutch and flywheel while your at it.

definately gonna do all that while its apart a stage 1 will be fine right? i hear the aluminum flywheels for the 6 bolts warp easily tho. is there any truth to that?

I would probably go with the act 2600 and a fidanza combo , I have that on one of my car and love it. Also if you ever go to a bigger turbo this clutch will be more than happy to hold it.

It's a bit stiffer than the 2100 and much more than the stock one, but it's not that bad. I could use it as a daily driver if I wanted. if you are shooting for 300+ I would use this clutch. You won't bust your knee trying to press down the pedal , don't worry about that..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back