The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New here

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toasterbath

Probationary Member
Jan 23, 2019
Sicamous, BC_Canada
I am new to this forum and have been looking at joining for a bit now. I dont own a DSM yet but i will be looking at buying a motor. I have been looking at stroker kits and bored over pistons for the 420a. I havent been looking at 4g's because i am scared how much a block might be(i live in bc/canada). What is the better hp to cost motor for a n/a build. I will do a boost build in the future. I am hoping for a compression ration of 10 to 1. Also the block will be in a longitudinal config. Sorry for this big wall of text.

I havent been looking at 4g prices for that reason. The application is a bit custom. And what type of transmissions mate up to a 4g in a longitudinal config, I know the 420a as the pt cruiser trans and sone others. I am getting a job this summer so i can build the motor. This project is to see how far can I go before I can do no more.

You can find some RWD conversion parts for the 4G63, but you might be right about there being more options for the 420A. I'm not sure. @95GSXracer might have some more info on the RWD 4G63 stuff, at least some keyword search suggestions and maybe some links to good info.

So i just looked up on cimotorsports and found a block for 3k. I am geussing thats USD and thats a bit to much for rn. Is there any really big power boosting mods for a n/a 420a?

You will find all that type of info in the 420A Tech forums here on the site:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/categories/420a-dsm-tech.31/

Quite a bit of info posted in there over the years, which I'm sure you will find useful for what you're doing. Do some searches and post some questions in there.

So i just looked at local pick and pulls and they want 400-1k for a 2.0l motor. I didnt know as their website didnt say anything. Now for the 420a, can i use a ECC block and buy 420a parts or do I need to buy the 420a block for the parts. I read on wikipedia that they're the same but then i saw a thread on needing a 420a alternator for a 420a. I am so good at making walls of text.

I guess we would need more info on what you're doing to help more. Afaik, the 420a doesn't have any more (if any at all) rwd/longitudinal options for transmissions than the 4g does. There is definitely a bigger aftermarket for 4g motors IMO.

You might consider looking through the classifieds on here, or trying to buy a complete car to start with so you have plenty of parts to choose from while beginning.

A 3rd gen or 4th gen eclipse might be a decent option for donors, but only 1g wide-block truck motors have the rwd trans option AFAIK, and they're getting rarer by the day.

Bill hincher is still making adapter bellhousings for 4g rwd applications, from t56, r154 and t5 iirc, as well as gm automatics, he's got some good options.

@dsmcrzy might be able to help more for 420a transmission options.

I am just building the engine this summer, I am only gonna make 3k this summer and I live in canada so a 4g is pretty close to my limit. If a transmission and block are getting rarer by the day then its gonna be super rare in canada which in turn means i have to spend more on that then engine parts. I have seen some 9.5 to 1 pistons for the 420a but I need to find a cylinder head and head gasket that will work with a piston bored .040 over. I have also found stroker kits and other pieces to the puzzle.

you could get a newer evo 4G and do that swap or use that engine and go complete custom and RWD that thing! but be warned you are entering a big budget build if you do this so it depends on how much you are willing to spend to do it right

If you want to do a Chrysler motor vs a 4g, then some cars that are similar would be: Plymouth Neons, Chrysler Cirrus, Dodge Stratus, Plymouth Breeze. All but the Neons will be 2.4 motors typically, but could be used in the same manner since this is a custom project. Other cars with a more powerful setup to start would be a Chrysler PTcruiser turbo (I believe badged as a GT), usually equipped with a 2.4 dohc turbo motor, and fairly stout overall. I see them constantly for 500-1k USD on my local Craigslist for cars that run but need work, or run great with bacd transmissions. Getting a whole car is much easier for customs projects as you have all the engine running gear, wiring, ecu etc etc that you can pillage from the parts car. This is what I'm doing with a 2010 crown Vic motor for my Toyota pickup: bought whole car, stripped/sold what I didn't need, kept anything engine/pcm/harness related.

A rwd transmission will be the hardest part, as I don't recall any rwd transmissions the fit the Chrysler motors, so custom will be needed.

What I was referring to as rare in my previous post were rwd transmissions for 4g motors, mostly due to the fact they use wide-block (there are wide and narrow 4g motors) style bellhousings, and are getting rare to find. You could look for Mitsubishi Mighty Max, Dodge Ram 50 or the like trucks from the late 80s/early 90s, most should come with either a 4g63 2.0 or 4g64/G4CS 2.4, usually all sohc unless swapped already.

Once again, parts will be far cheaper for 4g aftermarket performance stuff, but at least you have some stuff to research into. I would highly recommend doing tons of research before even attempting to buy, as you don't want to get into a situation where u buy a dud and get stuck with it, several hundred dollars wasted.

Edit: for instance on a PT Cruiser Turbo, running/driving

https://moseslake.craigslist.org/cto/d/moses-lake-pt-cruiser-turbo-2003/6781839099.html

I don't really want a soccer mom engine powering my build (2.4 dohc in pt and srt4 are from jeeps and the caravan). I have been looking at lancers and evos around where i am and they want 400-1k CAN for a 2.0l. They dont say what block it is so its hard to say what motor it is. The only photos they have are of the trashed lancers. Is there another car that has the 4g63? I have found parts that are cheap for a n/a 420a, cant say the same for the mom motor. Not trying to come off mean to people that run the 2.4 but all i find are turbo parts, low compression pistons and turbo cams. My limit is 3k. I am ok with having a motor that sits over the winter withsome parts on it but i dont want a empty shell of a beast sitting there.

Ok, I lied. It said US price and the CAN dollar aint that good compared to the US dollar. Sorry for the high dosage of eye cancer. Does these prices look right to you guys and gals or are they wanting to much?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back