The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

New engine build 2.2 stroker

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom N

Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
The engine in my evo 1 crankwalked so i am building a new one for it.

I have always done high compression 2.0ltr engines before and decided to try something new this time. I am sticking with the 7 bolt.

Going to give the 2.2 a try.
I gathered a list of parts i am going to go with.
Using a 2.0ltr block.
Eagle 94mm crank
Manley 156mm 7 bolt rods part number 14020-4
Manley 2.1ltr 10:1 86mm pistons part number 619210C-4

This should give me a displacement of 2184cc and a rod ratio of 1.659 in a 2.0l block.
I would really like to go with 86.5mm pistons as it would give me 2209cc which would be a actual 2.2ltr but i`m not sure about boring it out that much.

Anyone else here done a 2.2 stroker?
Any reason why I cant bore the block out to 86.5mm?
What is the most people bore these blocks to with out using block filler.
This car will never be a drag only car and i dont see it ever being more than a 500-550hp car.

I just had my Magnus 2.2 done but havn't had a chance to try it yet. 156mm rods are pretty long for the 2.0 block. Pretty sure Manley sells a 2.2 rotating kit.

I just had my Magnus 2.2 done but havn't had a chance to try it yet. 156mm rods are pretty long for the 2.0 block. Pretty sure Manley sells a 2.2 rotating kit.

Yes they do. You have a choice of 150mm rods with matching pistons or 156mm rods with matching pistons. I am not interested in the rod ratio of the 94mm crank with 150mm rods. The 156mm rods give me a rod ratio that is very close to a factory 2.0l.

Also the only manley 94mm crank is one thats over $1000. I do not need more than the eagle forged crank for a 500hp car.

Just curious, but why all the trouble and expense for a car not intended to be above 550HP? You could do a stock block with EVO or even stock pistons/rods to support that power. Another option is to use a 4G64 block and 4G63 crank and keep a good rod ratio. Are you looking for solely top-end power?

"I just want to try it" is a perfectly legitimate answer, I'm just curious about the application behind the build!

Block and crank are ruined from crankwalk. I have to tear the whole thing apart and build a new motor and its not much more to just used forged parts plus I like 10:1 motors. Not really looking to walk a fine line trying to keep a stock motor together at 500-550hp also. EVO 3 pistons are 9:1 which is nice but its not 10:1 and they are known to crack.

So since I have decided I am building a fresh motor with forged internals I decided to simply try something different for me. I am not interested in 2.4 block as I already have everything minus crank, pistons and rods for a 2.0 7 bolt.

Yes they do. You have a choice of 150mm rods with matching pistons or 156mm rods with matching pistons. I am not interested in the rod ratio of the 94mm crank with 150mm rods. The 156mm rods give me a rod ratio that is very close to a factory 2.0l.

Also the only manley 94mm crank is one thats over $1000. I do not need more than the eagle forged crank for a 500hp car.

I thought the option for 156mm with Manley was for the 4G64 block. I have the 92mm crank with 150mm rods and wrist pins are moved up 3mm I believe while the stroker pistons are moved 6mm. In a 4G63 block thats going to be some super short piston skirts.

In a 4G63 block thats going to be some super short piston skirts.

The skirt doesn't have to be short, but the compression height sure will be though. -Should be somewhere around a couple of cunthairs over an inch from pin center to crown on that combo, -and then take another 8-17cc's out of the top (depending on comp ratio desired) and the piston ought to be preeeetttty lightweight... :hmm:

The skirt doesn't have to be short, but the compression height sure will be though. -Should be somewhere around a couple of cunthairs over an inch from pin center to crown on that combo, -and then take another 8-17cc's out of the top (depending on comp ratio desired) and the piston ought to be preeeetttty lightweight... :hmm:

I plan to use 10:1 pistons.
I'm hoping this set up will work out well.
Displacement closer to a 2.3 with a rod ratio close to a 2.0

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back