The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

New DSM Gas Record

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiggly

Supporting Vendor
Feb 17, 2003
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I went to a track rental on a fully prepped track earlier today and got a few passes in. Only one pass was a full pass. The first pass isn't worth talking about.

Second pass was lifting at 1/8th:
1.3228 60'
3.6870 330'
5.5769 1/8th - no mph though

Third pass was the winner at ~43psi creeping up to 46psi through the traps:
1.3209 60'
3.6721 330'
5.5619 at 127.79mph 1/8th
7.2022 at 147.46mph 1000'
8.6059 at 163.64mph 1/4

I put another degree of timing in for the fourth pass, but the sun was down and the track went to crap at the top end. It started walking around way too much around the 1000' mark and I had to lift.
1.3230 60'
3.6539 330'
5.5529 at 127.83mph 1/8th
7.1910 at 147.96mph 1000'
8.7087 at 142.96mph 1/4

I think it was on its way to about a 8.58 and better than 164mph if I could have stayed in it. I chose to keep the paint on the metal instead. I think the 8.70 pass backs up the 8.60 though.

We will make it back to the track again before the end of the year. I don't know if we will be on a track that hooks quite as well, but we will try. I think it still has more power at higher boost, this is the highest we've had it so far.

Video Here!

Kevin

Congrats. The engineering you put into your vehicle is amazing. I can't wait to see what else you have in store for your car. I also appreciate what you have done for the DSM community, specifically in relation to us automatic owners running a 6 bolt in a 2G. Oh yeah, how the hell do you get this to hook up under FWD?

YouTube - Kiggly's FWD DSM Record 8.79

d

Holy crap fast, and yes a big thank you, even though i don't think i have needed anything you have created i have read a lot of your input for other shit people have needed and its people like you that keep me around here.
+a billion to an awesome guy. Good luck on your goals for this year.

starting to miss the fun of getting a FWD to hook. Great job!!!!!

Good job Kevin, I better get back to the track soon,been there latley but have got no traction. Keep up the good work,guess i will be chasing you know!!!!Bill

Great pass! Kiggly, can you please help me understand how you are able to get a 74mm turbo to stall without nitrous??? Does the 2.3 make that much of a difference? I know guys that can barely spool a 35R in an auto dsm without nitrous.WTF

The 9.5" Precision Industries converter can be set up loose enough to spool the big turbo. The Borg Warner stuff also seems to spool a little better at low revs than the Garrett stuff. There is a lot of work in the combo to get it going, but it spools pretty well. You can do a lot with cam timing. It barely takes 2 seconds to get to the 2-step. It flash-stalls to about 3300rpm and the 2-step is at 4700rpm right now. Launch was at about 10-11psi, anything more than that and it shakes the tires. It will make 25psi on the 2-step if I want.

Kevin

Freakin sweet man...And you did this on pump gas you said and not E85, or race gas. Or you did, I was just wondering since the title said record on gas???

Of course this is on race gas, NOT pump gas.

Engine:
2.3L Crower rods, Wiseco 1400HD pistons
2g head (my porting) running stock size valves and FP5R/11R cams
My intake and header
Big garrett bar and plate air-air FMIC, Q45TB and 3" piping
Borg Warner S400 74mm turbo with T4 hot side (1.25AR) - sometimes badged as a S374
9k revlimiter for now - it is about 8800 through the traps

Trans:
Precision Industries 9.5" billet converter
My billet aluminum front clutch basket/piston
Translab shift kit with some added tricks
My front diff bearing saddle (OE one breaks during tire shake on 28's)

Special thanks to guys that help me out in one way or another:
FP - Forced Performance Turbochargers
Wiseco - Manufacturer of High Performance Forged Pistons & Performance Parts for Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles, Marine, and Automobiles - Wiseco Piston Inc.
Precision Industries - Precision Industries
Borg Warner/Airwerks - TurboDriven.com - BorgWarner Turbo Systems (their new website is coming soon)
Monkeywrench Racing - Monkeywrench Racing Home Page

What other questions do you have?

Kevin

Engine:
2.3L Crower rods, Wiseco 1400HD pistons
2g head (my porting) running stock size valves and FP5R/11R cams
My intake and header
Big garrett bar and plate air-air FMIC, Q45TB and 3" piping
Borg Warner S400 74mm turbo with T4 hot side (1.25AR) - sometimes badged as a S374

Trans:
Precision Industries 9.5" billet converter
My billet aluminum front clutch basket/piston
Translab shift kit with some added tricks
My front diff bearing saddle (OE one breaks during tire shake on 28's)

Special thanks to guys that help me out in one way or another:
FP - Forced Performance Turbochargers
Wiseco - Manufacturer of High Performance Forged Pistons & Performance Parts for Motorcycles, ATVs, Snowmobiles, Marine, and Automobiles - Wiseco Piston Inc.
Precision Industries - Precision Industries
Borg Warner/Airwerks - TurboDriven.com - BorgWarner Turbo Systems (their new website is coming soon)
Monkeywrench Racing - Monkeywrench Racing Home Page

What other questions do you have?

Kevin

I have one more. At what rpm are your coming through the traps? I'm thinking of going to a 2.3 with my auto AWD, but i've heared issue with people having to go into OD. Do you think the 2.3 is worth it?

Did you do any tricks to the Q45TB? I ran one for a while and it developed leaks around the shaft seals.

I have one more. At what rpm are your coming through the traps? I'm thinking of going to a 2.3 with my auto AWD, but i've heared issue with people having to go into OD. Do you think the 2.3 is worth it?

You quoted his response that had the answer to your question in it :p

Remember he is FWD though, so the gearing could be different between his trans and an auto AWD.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back