The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Need help car is idling at over 2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMatt209

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2015
Danville, Indiana
I’ll add the video here of how the car is idling anyone have any idea why it would be like this? I can’t even shift into reverse to move my car because the rpm is way too high. Fuel pressure is right at 43. Car is a 95 GSX

Here is a link to the video:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exhaust almost sounds like it’s popping a little or soemthing. Not loud but I can feel it and hear it

Spray soapy water on throttle body and intake manifold while system is pressurized... you have a leak somewhere...

Okay I don’t think my coupler was very good I’m gonna run to Lowe’s and create a new one. Hopefully get this thing running better. But if it’s a boost leak why would it idle down now?

Shoot a video of the system pressurized and spraying soapy water on the entire intake tract

I am relatively sure you have and intake leak... or maybe a problem with the IAC... high idle means probably between throttle plate and head. I have had this a couple times, and always find a leak between tb and head. Also check tb shaft seals, injector seals and everywhere with a gasket

Yes and the car is now idling down as I’m writing this the rpm is now 1800

How long does it take for the rpm to go down too 1800? Once a car gets to operating temp, it's normal for the idle speed (rpm) to go down.

First thing first, do a proper boost leak test. That's the best way to start. Also, what mods are on the car? Have you replaced any of the parts that are bolt ons? Even little things such as gaskets?

Rabenne is thinking the same thing I'm thinking. It's highly likely that those factors may be contributing to or even fully responsible for your high idle.

I am relatively sure you have and intake leak... or maybe a problem with the IAC... high idle means probably between throttle plate and head. I have had this a couple times, and always find a leak between tb and head. Also check tb shaft seals, injector seals and everywhere with a gasket
How long does it take for the rpm to go down too 1800? Once a car gets to operating temp, it's normal for the idle speed (rpm) to go down.

First thing first, do a proper boost leak test. That's the best way to start. Also, what mods are on the car? Have you replaced any of the parts that are bolt ons? Even little things such as gaskets?

Rabenne is thinking the same thing I'm thinking. It's highly likely that those factors may be contributing to or even fully responsible for your high idle.

Okay thank you both for the input I’m going to the store now to build a new tester. Would I be able to check the injector seals while doing the boost leak test? Or is that some other method? Glad you guys are helping me out, it’s not my fault thank god but as far as I know the car has a small 16g installed an aftermarket BOV that is adjustable, and a FPR I think it is, it’s between the fuel rail and fuel line and I can check the pressure. I just got the car 2 days ago and was not acting like this at all, however they did have the system non recirculated, the guy had the hose that goes from the BOV to the Intake so I put that back on.

You could also check the iac... it should extend and retract when you switch the key on, iirc

I had a broken wire going to mine at one point and it also caused a high idle...

I’ve thought that could be the problem too when I was researching earlier, you say it extend and retract. The IAC is under the TB correct?

That is the correct component. I know somewhere there is a more detailed description of this test... ill see if I can find it for you

http://www.v8eaters.com/ISC.html
This shows how to check individual coils... if you have a multimeter...

If coils are okay, remove the iac and look for movement when you switch on the key. It should move out, then retract.

Good luck

Thank you hopefully the boost leak test takes care of it but if not, I’ll look into the ISC

The black thing that is unplugged is what is leaking. Does anyone know if this part uses a gasket, o ring, or sealant?

99% sure its an oring, but hopefully someone smart will chime in for you...

That is the IAC btw. Below that is your egr valve.

Thank you I found a YouTube video verifying it’s an o-ring. But I don’t know what size, I do have a 24 hour autozone near me so hopefully someone can get me a size or soemthing so I can see if they have it

Update: I believe i found a source here on dsmtuners that say it is a #28 o-ring. Correct me if I’m wrong

My 90 laser would idle at 1800 and 2k rpm my isc drivers where fried. Do 2gs have issues with leaking caps like 1gs do?

I don’t think they have the problem as bad the brown cap ones leaked in the older models I believe and then they switched to the black caps which were better. I just installled the IAC o ring and new biss screw o ring which were leaking before. The car is idling right now between 2000 and 2500 fluctuating a little bit. I’m not sure where to go from here

Okay I did an ISC Test here is the video. Can anyone tell me if this means it’s good or bad?

I'd start with checking the throttle cable and tps. I forget, do 2g's have adjustable stopper on throttle body?

I'd start with checking the throttle cable and tps. I forget, do 2g's have adjustable stopper on throttle body?

Yes they do have adjustable stopper. Should the throttle plate be completely vertical? Or should some light be shining through? I believe the throttle cable is okay, the idle fluctuates.

It should be vertical with very little light coming through if you have it off. I didn’t know the idle was fluctuating. You prob have a leak. Easiest boost leak tester for small turbos.

If you have the tb off, check the marks inside. It should line up to the farthest mark

If you have the tb off, check the marks inside. It should line up to the farthest mark

I had it off the plate should be perfect based off your description very very little light coming through and I did compare the position to my other 2g. I performed a boost leak test earlier and fixed a leak at the ISC due to no o ring at all and a Biss screw o ring. Both leaks fixed and same issue

Replace your ISC anyway because it's cracked all the way to the sealing ring.

Replace your ISC anyway because it's cracked all the way to the sealing ring.

Correct. But that's not his. Just a random YT clip.

My bad. That is his.

I have a spare brand new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back