The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Need help car is idling at over 2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterMatt209

Proven Member
Jan 17, 2015
Danville, Indiana
I’ll add the video here of how the car is idling anyone have any idea why it would be like this? I can’t even shift into reverse to move my car because the rpm is way too high. Fuel pressure is right at 43. Car is a 95 GSX

Here is a link to the video:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ this was my thought exactly. The rock steady idle that is so high is most likely due to the throttle plate. If not, use the list I wrote out to start.

Just rebuilt my throttle body with new sensors and still have the same problem

Out of curiosity, who rebuilt the throttle body? I've had my throttle body rebuilt twice. The first time, a buddy did it and really f*cked it up. Second time, Steve Monroe did it and was absolutely amazing in providing me with TONS of info on what was wrong AND any other questions that I had.

Worst choice I made was trying to "save" money and having someone who claimed they knew how to rebuild them rebuild my throttle body. Spent money twice trying to save money LOL, lesson learned.

What I can say is I'm glad I checked and eliminated all the other issues I had before actually getting to the main issue which was the throttle body. My idle was rock steady at 2200 rpm. Had a HUGE FIAV leak. Fixed that. Then had HUGE injector leaks. Fixed that. Found a small vacuum leak. Fixed that. SUSPECTED my isc drivers were going bad upon pulling my ecu for inspection. Tested the isc as well before I sent it out to make sure and although it tested fine, the ecu had some melted glue looking substance and I thought it might have been acid or something. Sent it to ecm link and they sent it back saying no issues whatsoever. So, as you can see, little by little, I eliminated everything up until FINALLY finding out from messing with my throttle body while my car idled that the throttle body was the issue. Pulled the throttle body and inspected in the light to see that the spacing around the throttle plate when closed was much larger than that of my stock throttle body. Finally, when that got fixed, BAM! Issue solved. Was a PITA and stressful because of the need for driving my car but let me tell you, the learning process was amazing and the sense of accomplishment I felt after it was all done was great as well.

Looking at his original video, why wasn't he getting idle surge? I thought the computer cut fuel at 2krpm when it reads the idle switch closed.

edit:
You have a dead steady idle over 1500 rpm. Here is what that tells me is likely. The air is likely metered. its not possible for the car to idle steady over 1500 IF everything is correct. From experience id say your throttle is open. Here is why I think so. For idle to be above 1500 the ecu must not think the throttle is closed. On a 1g there is a switch. On a 2g its throttle position. Physically check and make sure throttle is closed. Physically push on it. If it closes and idle drops you need to adjust your throttle cable OR the spring, plate, etc have a problem that isnt letting it close. If you are sure throttle is closing then its likely you have at least the following issues. Tps is misadjusted because ecu thinks throttle is open. And isc or fiav have problems. If that idle wasn't so steady id say you have a vacuum leak. Since its so steady i dont think so. Maybe this will get you started. BTW I saw you wtb ad for tps and isc. Unless youve diagnosed those parts as bad youre jumping the gun. Isc drivers in ecu could cause this too but that wouldnt be your only problem. If ecu thought throttle was closed you would have a cycling idle.

I like this train of thought. If the computer isn't cutting fuel, it might mean the idle switch isn't closed, or the computer isn't reading it as such.

Last edited:
Looking at his original video, why wasn't he getting idle surge? I thought the computer cut fuel at 2krpm when it reads the idle switch closed.

edit:

I like this train of thought. If the computer isn't cutting fuel, it might mean the idle switch isn't closed, or the computer isn't reading it as such.
It isn't 2k. It's 1500. On a 2g there is no throttle closed switch like the 1g. It's done through the TPS from my understanding.

It isn't 2k. It's 1500. On a 2g there is no throttle closed switch like the 1g. It's done through the TPS from my understanding.

Ah, okay; he should definitely be experiencing surge if he's idling at 2200. I think you're on the right track with either the TPS, or the throttle cable being out of adjustment, or the throttle plate physically not closing because of carbon build up or something.

I suppose it could also be two problems, misadjusted TPS not allowing the computer to see the throttle plate is closed, and an actual intake/throttle body leak that's causing the high RPM.

Yup, you're right the idle switch is combined with the TPS on a 2g.

Last edited:
Is your throttle plate in backwards? Somewhere in here I read you rebuilt it. If it's in backwards the contour won't close completely to the inside of the throttle body.

Is your throttle plate in backwards? Somewhere in here I read you rebuilt it. If it's in backwards the contour won't close completely to the inside of the throttle body.

I rebuilt it and had an arrow and lots of pictures to get it back together correctly. However, I know I’m not the first to mess with the throttle body just based on a few things not being right like the throttle spring wasn’t on correctly before. I got the idle down but now I have a different issue. Here is a link to what my car is doing now guys: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/car-driving-funny.517347/#post-153687442

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back