1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

turbosax2's Eclipse GSX

Rating:
5/5,
Year:
Model/Trim:
Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support Morrison Fabrication
  1. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    This thread is going to be for my summer project. My goal is to do maintenance, cleaning, and a few upgrades. The highlight of my project is relocating the fuse box to the interior and rewiring the engine bay. To this point the most technical thing I had done to a car is change a clutch, so I'm still a noob. Most of this is brand new to me and I'm still learning. Tearing down the engine was a great experience and the vfaq's for changing a timing belt and doing a balance shaft elimination make soooo much more sense now. I've done quite a bit of wiring on my brothers car hiding wires in the engine bay, but nothing of this magnitude. Honestly, I'm a bit scared :coy: but I know I'll make it through. So hopefully this thread will be to help any of you who might want to do this.

Let's get you all caught up...

This is my 1999 GSX, purchased bone stock December of last year.

IMG_5175.JPG

interior 005.JPG

interior 001.JPG

She sat under a cover all winter and most of spring. I only drove her once every few weeks.

eric's car 008.jpg

Work began June 1st. My brother has the in-progress shots of us taking out the engine and tearing it down. He's on vacation so I'll post them later.

IMG_5205.JPG

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014

3K  24

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.543 @ 100.000 · 2G DSM
  2. CPHunter

CPHunter Proven Member

Joined Aug 3, 2004
    Winnetka, California
    Nice Progress so far, keep up the good work

3. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    With the engine bay empty, I turned my attention to the interior. Time to remove the dash and all the heating and a/c components.

IMG_5456.JPG

[​IMG]

IMG_5748.JPG

I also removed all the padding on the firewall. The sound deadening under the front seats was removed because I could easily take it off just with my hands. Check out the size of this piece!

IMG_5800.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

The rest of the interior will be removed either this week or next week, everything will be cleaned, the carpet padding will be removed, the sound deadening will be removed, and then everything minus the dash and seats will be reinstalled for now. I'm going for the "hidden" weight loss approach.

Both the ecu wiring harness and fuse box wiring harness were removed from the car.

IMG_5834.JPG

And here is how she sits now.

IMG_5828.JPG

IMG_5835.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG

3K  24

4. DSMunknown

DSMunknown Proven Member

Joined Sep 16, 2004
    Worcester, Massachusetts
    Good to see you can follow directions. LOL

5. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Step 1: remove engine - check

Step 2: identify all connectors - check
    http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...047-2g-engine-bay-electrical-connections.html
    Brian is on vacation now but will finish that up when he returns.

Step 3: remove dash - check
    I took a bunch of pictures of the removal so I will be making a tech article when I get some free time. Removing the dash and hvac system wasn't hard at all - just took some patience.

Step 4: take measurements of both harnesses - I'm going to start this tonight.

Now you're all caught up.

Here are my plans for the rewire.

The fuse box will be bolted to the firewall inside the cabin. I've seen people relocate the fuse box to the glove box before, but that just wasn't really appealing to me. So I figured why not ditch the hvac, save some weight, and open up a ton of space to mount the fuse box. The plan is to be able to access the fuse box by dropping the glove box down (takes about 5 seconds).

The following connectors and their wiring will be eliminated:
    1. Manifold Differential Pressure (MDP) sensor
    11. Auto-Cruise Control Vacuum Pump (Cruise Control Actuator)
    13. Fuel Pressure Solenoid (FPS) Valve
    14. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Control Solenoid
    16. Brake Fluid Level Switch
    18. Hood Switch
    19. Dual Pressure Switch (AC)
    20. Capacitor (Noise Condenser)
    27. Evaporative Purge Solenoid
    28. Theft Alarm Horn (Anthony knows!)
    30. Turbocharger Waste Gate Solenoid Valve [Boost Control Solenoid (BCS)]
    35. EVAP Emission Purge Control Solenoid Valve
    36. Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor
    43. Left Fog Light
    44. Right Fog Light
    52. Fuel Pump Check Connector
    Rear o2 sensor
    I may ditch abs, still undecided.

Before anyone asks, yes I know I will throw about a thousand check engine lights. No, I don't have any way to turn them off but I will get dsmlink in the future so it's cool for now. Also, I drive my car less than 5000 miles a year so I am exempt from emissions in PA. I can't afford to relocate my battery now but it is in the plans once I get more money.

The following will be relocated to the interior (probably mounted to the firewall inside the cabin):
    7. Ignition Power Transistor
    51. Ignition Suppression Resistor (Fuel Injector Resistor Box)

My goal is to avoid running any wires underneath the radiator. If you look at the pictures above you can see where the wires run into the cabin on the driver and passenger sides behind the fenders. I will be splitting the engine bay in half and running the wires on their respective sides.

I think that about covers it for now. I could get really fancy with this whole project and use mil spec wiring, expensive bulkhead connectors and fancy heat shrink but I don't see the need to spend the money for those sorts of things. Would it be nice? Sure, but I can't justify the costs right now. Also, I will be using wiring loom for the whole harness. It's nice to wrap the entire harness in electrical tape but I know for sure this harness will be changing with the addition of gauges, sensors, etc. so no use in making it hard for me to change. I also want the harness to be relatively easy to remove.

Please feel free to ask questions and leave comments!

3K  24

6. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Thanks!

I just got the harnesses removed this afternoon so I figured it's about time I start this thread. :thumb:

3K  24

7. Flash

Flash Proven Member

Joined Nov 30, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    Ditch that sound deadening mat against the firewall. Clean things up a bit.

2K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  8. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Joined Oct 15, 2006
    Glad to see you finally started this thread. :thumb:

I can't wait to see the car when I come home and start tearing those harnesses apart!

3K  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    12.529 @ 110.820 · 2G DSM
  9. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Are you talking about the engine bay side of the firewall? I was thinking about getting rid of that mat but I don't know how bad the difference in paint underneath will be. Maybe I'll peel some back and take a peek to see how it would look.

Hurry up and get home! We got work to do!

3K  24

10. kmoore

kmoore Proven Member

Joined Mar 8, 2006
    St, Louis, Missouri
    If it is anything like mine, then the paint is fine. I say ditch it too.

Are you relocating the battery as well?

797  0

manual · 2G DSM
  11. beating4g63s

beating4g63s Proven Member

Joined Oct 31, 2004
    port arthur, Texas
    that is one clean gsx, I've been thinking of relocating my fuse box lately to the same spot but I live in texas and no a/c is like a prison sentence and I've spent 3 years with out it in my first dsm.

12. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Do you have any good pictures of your car without the mat on?

I won't be relocating the battery yet because of money, but it's in the plans for the near future.

3K  24

13. Flash

Flash Proven Member

Joined Nov 30, 2003
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    If you remove the mat and the paint underneath is bad, just get some gold heat reflective foil to stick on.

I like the direction your build is going. :thumb:

2K  0

· 2G DSM
  14. crimsondragon

crimsondragon Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2006
    Phillipsburg, New Jersey
    Seems like a lot of work. I find pulling out intake, intercooler pipes, battery, and any stuff like that to be hard work as it is. If you're a noob then I must be an idiot.

Street Build 2K  6

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  15. BoostedinSoFla

BoostedinSoFla Proven Member

Joined Nov 1, 2006
    South Florida, Florida
    You and your brother are some crazy dudes. Lol. I could never tear into a car that mint especially when there was nothing wrong with it in the first place. Anyways I subscribed, this should be fun.

1K  0

10.245 @ 135.440 · 2G DSM
  16. Atuca

Atuca Supporting Member

Joined Jan 6, 2007
    Central Valley, California
    I want to do this >.<

I would love to relocate my fuse box, my battery, get rid of unused sensors, remove my A/C and heater, cruise control, yea basicly everything you are doing. I don't like the idea of my car with one seat, no carpet, no dash, but I do like the idea of tidying up. Convincing the girl to let me get rid of the heater is being difficult, but I deffinately like the idea.

Looking foward to the finished look. and the work involved.

621  1

600 whp · 500 lb/ft · 2G DSM

2K  0

manual · 2G DSM
  17. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 13, 2004
    North Bay Area, California
    Awesome summer project, Eric. I'll agree you're one adventurous dude.
    With the new harness, will you be using the same gauge wire as the stock harness? Like you said though, without getting too fancy, of course.

Great pics btw.

1K  0

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  18. JeanDSM

JeanDSM Proven Member

Joined Jun 23, 2004
    Yabucoa, Puerto, Puerto Rico
    right now im on the same proyect, i bouth a spare fuse box and engine harness....
    dont forget the detals like how to remove the brake switch light without getting the light on the dash....

284  0

manual · 2G DSM
  19. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Eh, I think the gold foil would be downgrading. Sure it's upgrading in terms of keeping heat from getting in the cabin but it would look like crap.

We all gotta start somewhere! Obviously it is a must that this isn't my dd, so I can take my time and figure things out as I go.

I'll take that as a compliment :) Since I cleaned up the wires in my brothers engine bay I've really wanted to relocate the fuse box. One day I was trying to figure out where I should put it, and I dropped the glove box down and saw all the hvac stuff back there. A lightbulb went off in my head and I decided to ditch it and put the fuse box there. I tore the engine down because the crank seal was leaking a little. I figured why not replace all the gaskets and do a bse while I'm in there. I constantly hear "why are you ruining a perfectly good car" from my mom though ROFL

Thanks!

I'm not sure how many wires will need to be extended. I figure I can use all the wires that I'm removing to extend the ones that need it. But I will of course be using the same gauge wire as factory, probably just Radio Shack stuff or whatever. Heat shrink is a big thing to me though - I have some pretty good stuff that is especially for automotive applications and it resists chemicals and such. It's not the best but it's better than your normal heat shrink.

Good luck on your project!

I did some testing on my car before it went down and when I removed the brake fluid sensor, the brake light didn't come on in the dash. Does yours act differently?

3K  24

20. kmoore

kmoore Proven Member

Joined Mar 8, 2006
    St, Louis, Missouri
    I don't have any GOOD pictures but I guess this is the closest thing (I only did the left side when I was installing the filter/fuel line):

EngineBayShots2008009.jpg

It really is not bad AT ALL. And yours is a 99 so it should be even cleaner. It will most deffinately clean it up though. RIP IT OUT!!!

797  0

manual · 2G DSM
  21. crimsondragon

crimsondragon Proven Member

Joined Dec 17, 2006
    Phillipsburg, New Jersey
    Lucky to have a brother. Extra help and a mind when things go wrong. Two heads are better than one. I occassionally can get help from a friend but only in emergency situations.

Street Build 2K  6

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    manual · 2G DSM
  22. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    That does look pretty good, plus I'll save some weight :) I'll check it out today weather permitting and see how it looks.

Yup, it's pretty nice most of the time. Unfortunately, Brian will be moving to Philly in a few weeks so he won't be around to help anymore :cry:

3K  24

23. cmspaz

cmspaz Proven Member

Joined May 21, 2008
    Plymouth, Minnesota
    I'm so jealous... I can't wait to have a DD that isn't my Talon... I'd really like to be able to just tear into it, and if nothing else, at least get my engine bay cleaned up. It's pretty bad in there right now.

24. 99gst_racer

99gst_racer Moderator

Joined Apr 5, 2003
    Coloma, Michigan
    I pulled mine off of my '99 last winter. The paint behind it was fine, and seems to match the rest just fine too. Though much of the rest of the paint in my engine bay isn't too pretty. I'd definitely recommend removing it though. The engine bay looks so much better without it.

Cool thread, btw. Hopefully it will give me some inspiration to get my ass in gear and finish my own car. ;)

Street Build 5K  67

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    609.8 whp · 541.2 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  25. turbosax2

turbosax2 Moderator

Joined Nov 19, 2006
    Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks for the good suggestion, Grant!

The mat was really easy to remove. I basically just started ripping and pulling at it and it tore off easily. Until I got to the section of it near the brake booster. A piece got wedged in around the brake booster and wouldn't come out - it didn't help that my fingers couldn't fit in to grab it either. I ended up loosening the 4 nuts for the brake booster from inside the car (up where the brake pedal is close to the firewall). I loosened them enough so I could slide the booster out about 1/2" and that was enough to free the piece.

My firewall looks like swiss cheese LOL

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5864.JPG

3K  24