The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

My Fuse Box Relocation and Cleanup Project - Part 25

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbosax2

Nov 19, 2006
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I've been working on the harnesses the past couple of days. First, I made these two documents to outline my plans for the harnesses.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachments/hangout/89305d1226607145-my-fuse-box-relocation-project-log-ecu-harness.doc
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/attachments/hangout/89306d1226607145-my-fuse-box-relocation-project-log-fuse-box-harness.doc

Then, I started removing and moving connectors on the ecu harness. The process is pretty simple; pick one wire from the connector you want to remove and trace it back to where it ends. If it is a power or ground wire, it will most likely be crimped to other power and ground wires. The factory has these crimped at many places in the harness. You really have no choice but to cut the wire off from the others. I am probably going to go back and replace all the crimps with solder joints later; the wires I cut off left some sharp wires behind and I don't want them damaging other wires. Most of the power wires end up making their way to the ecu power supply, pins 12 and 25. The grounds can either go to chassis ground or the sensor ground at the ecu, pin 92. If the wire ends at a connector, do NOT cut the wire. Remove the pin from the connector.

Here is how to remove pins from the ecu connectors:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...w-remove-replace-pins-harness-connectors.html

You'll see I added a post on there because my ecu connectors are different from other 2g's I've seen; they changed the connector style some year.

Here is how to remove wires from waterproof connectors (found in engine bay):
89307d1226607502-my-fuse-box-relocation-project-log-untitled.jpg

These pins were harder for me to remove than the ecu connectors. Patience, patience, patience. Oh, and the proper tools help too :coy: Try to deal with ONE wire at a time; you will get confused less. When pulling wires through the big rubber firewall grommets BE CAREFUL!! The pins have sharp edges and you can very easily damage other wires when pulling the pins through the grommet. If you're careful you will be fine. Probably the better way to do it is to cut the pins off, but I kinda wanted to keep everything intact "just in case".

Here are the notes I've taken along the way. Most of this probably won't make too much sense but hopefully it helps people who tackle this project. I didn't take great notes on the connectors that are being deleted. This is all for the ecu harness.

Delete:
1. Manifold Differential Pressure (MDP) sensor
3 wires - ground, power, pin
11. Auto-Cruise Control Vacuum Pump (Cruise Control Actuator)
3 wires - all end at pins
13. Fuel Pressure Solenoid (FPS) Valve - save one wire for alternator
2 wires - left red wire for new alternator connector, removed pin from fps connector, other wire ended in pin
14. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Control Solenoid
2 wires - ecu pin 6, power
16. Brake Fluid Level Switch
2 wires - pin, ground
28. Theft Alarm Horn
2 wires - pin, ground
30. Turbocharger Waste Gate Solenoid Valve [Boost Control Solenoid (BCS)]
2 wires - ecu pin 11, power
35. EVAP Emission Purge Control Solenoid Valve
2 wires - pin, power
36. Air Conditioning (A/C) Compressor
3 wires - pin, green wire cut, pin (connector 32, top left)
52. Fuel Pump Check Connector - connect wires together, only delete plug
2 wires to 1 pin - cut off connector, wires go to power transistor and coil pack, must solder them together
Rear O2 Sensor
power, ecu pin 54, green loom (ground strap and ground in gray tape, ecu pin 75)

Move to interior:
7. Ignition Power Transistor
cut blue/black wire to coil pack, must lengthen wire and reconnect
32. Front Wiring Harness and Control Wiring Harness Combination **
33. ? **
51. Ignition Suppression Resistor (Fuel Injector Resistor Box)
53. Windshield Wiper Motor - run through hvac air intake hole
cut chassis ground wire (black), must reconnect

Move to fuse box harness:
12. Volume Airflow Sensor [Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS)] **
1. orange - ecu pin 85
2. green/yellow - cut from same color wire in harness, ecu pin 81
3. blue/yellow - ecu pin 90
4. red/white - ecu pin 19
5. red/blue - ecu pin 72
6. black - cut from grounds on harness, sensor ground, ecu pin 92
7. red - cut from ecu power source, pins 12/25

31. Back-up Light Switch **
2 wires - red and black, pins removed from big blue interior connector (I made myself a little diagram of the blue connector)
39. Heated Oxygen Sensor (Front O2 Sensor)
red - cut wire from ecu power source, pins 12/25
yellow - ecu pin 60
green loom still attahced to ecu harness
I made myself a diagram of the o2 connector

BTW, every instance of "52. Fuel Pump Check Connector" should actually be "52. Engine Speed Detection Connector", I just forgot to change them.

And, of course, a picture of the wires I've removed:
89308d1226608969-my-fuse-box-relocation-project-log-img_6922.jpg

I will reference these diagrams in the future. The one is borrowed and modified from here:
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...0711-relocate-fuse-box-rewire-engine-bay.html

89318d1226635562-my-fuse-box-relocation-project-log-fuse-box.jpg

89319d1226635562-my-fuse-box-relocation-project-log-fuse-box-connectors.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back