The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My Fuse Box Relocation and Cleanup Project - Part 23

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbosax2

Nov 19, 2006
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Realistically, I'm hoping to have it running by next summer. I'm a college student and I'm in the marching band, so I can only get home to work on it some weekends. Plus, my friend and I still need to finish the blast cabinet. Plus, I need to save up money to replace the front knuckles, axles, abs sensors, tie rods, and lower control arms. It sucks, but I've accepted that I won't get to drive it for awhile. :toobad:

Don't worry though, I'll keep taking pictures and hopefully within the next couple months I can throw the engine back together and maybe get some wallpaper quality pictures LOL

I guess I'll throw up a rough to-do list:

Have some more things welded
Finish blasting and powdercoating parts
Minor porting and more polishing on turbo
Reassemble turbo
Take care of minor rust on chassis and repaint spots
Paint brake / fuel lines on firewall
Cover up unused holes on firewall
Redo underlining in fender wells
Clean rust off block
Clean lifters and replace cam seals
Reassemble engine (no timing belt on) / flywheel, clutch, manifolds, turbo, etc.
Do some of the wiring with engine on stand
Mate engine with transmission and put only them back in car
More wiring (no wire loom yet, kept open to troubleshoot)
Either pull engine to finish it up and install timing belt, or just do it with engine in car
Modify downpipe/catback and install vband clamp between them
Put rest of stuff in engine bay, fill fluids, start car
Once I confirm all the wiring is good, then I'll pull it out, wire loom it, and reinstall
Save up and buy all suspension stuff, install that
Put interior and body panels back in
Drive car

And I'm hoping that I can afford to relocate the battery and get a Jay Racing alternator relocation kit for a Saturn alternator before I put the engine back in the car. This is convenient to do with the engine out of the car and while I have all the wiring apart. When I relocate the battery I will also rewire the stock fuel pump and install a kill switch. I would also like to get a few gauges (oil pressure, temp, and water temp) so I can do all the wiring now, but I doubt that will happen.

List of stuff to do before engine can be assembled:

Stuff to weld:
Oil pan (return line fitting / oil temp sender 1/8 NPT bung)
O2 housing studs
Throttle body
Turbine crack
(Also delete intake pipe nipples)

Stuff to blast with glass beads:
Main motor mount / trans mount
Water pump (or buy new one)
CAS
Fuel rail
Thermostat housings
Power steering pump
Throttle body elbow / tb / intake manifold
Compressor housing
Oil filter housing
Transmission
Alternator case (or get Saturn alternator)

Stuff to blast then powdercoat (not all of this needs done to assemble engine):

Shift cable levers
Redo cam gears
Redo radiator mounts
Redo timing tins
Oil pan
Some random plate from engine bay
Water pump and power steering pulleys
Some stuff from interior
P/S reservoir
Suspension stuff eventually

Then finish up turbo, I have to touch up the porting on the intake manifold and finish cleaning it with B-12, clean the rust off the block, check to make sure exhaust and intake ports are as clean as they can get, tap a bunch of threads on head, block, and parts, buy oodles of SS hardware, and bug Tyler to get me the tool to put the balance shaft bearings back in. I think that's it. Then we assemble.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back