The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My ducted radiator setup - road racing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+1 great job Beau, also being completely honest I really feel by reading over this thread I got smarter. :hellyeah: haha...oh Im the guy who put that beautiful motor in beau's car...:thumb:

Yes sir! Wouldn't have been able to do it without you, that's for sure.

subbed. wanting to learn more about this and see any future updates

Thanks guys! I'm currently in the middle of several projects on the car. I'm looking to compete in Global Time Attack as well as Redline in 2012. I'll be developing and testing the car this summer/fall in preparation for next season, and I'll definitely keep you guys updated!

Beau

gsxtacy.. is that still the radiator i moced the neck and other things on and made that bracket for?
Good to see my work out there, alhough a little "used" at this point still nice to see :D

If I ever get a Colt, I'd be looking to relocate the radiator to the rear. :shhh:

There is an update to be had haha. He just needs the time to take PROPER pictures of it.

Come on Beau, feed the forum people haha

Update is right!

Sorry guys, I've been super busy and working on the car as much as I can. Really pushing for a 2012 time attack entry in "street" class and things are looking good. Still LOTS to do, but I have until early Spring to get ready before the 2012 season starts.

I'm working at AEM now, so I'll be putting plenty of their latest gadgets on the car. So far the car's been converted over to their Series II EMS (6310) and I couldn't ask for more. I'll be out testing their AQ-1 datalogging system (built-in 3-axis accelerometer, GPS & track mapping software, 1000hz sample rate, 32gb logging) soon as well.

Anyway, I wanted to have the car in a presentable condition for MOD 2011 (Mitsubishi Owners Day) so I turned to a local shop that AEM works with called After Hours Automotive. After seeing some of their other amazing work I knew I was in the right place, and Brian @ After Hours did a hell of a job!

As you can see, the fan is now part of the duct assembly. It was made 100% out of aluminium, and it's significantly lighter AND stronger than my junk prototype I made. My favourite piece is the gurney lip. It's actually 3 pieces of aluminum welded and shaped, but it looks like one perfect formed piece. I don't know how he did it but it's awesome, and all the rivets are fully countersunk. I really don't want to paint it!

For now, I removed the pre-radiator duct until I remake it with a bunch of changes.

Below are some pictures for you guys, and a quick shot of the car with all the ricer decals! :p

More updates to come once I get the car out on track again!

Oh and, the car never made it to MOD... One of the core plugs popped out of the block! Luckily it was just improper install, the engine's 100%. Even more lucky that it didn't pop out in turn 1 at Streets of Willow and blow coolant all over the front tires! Threw in a new one with some Permatex #1 and we're back in business :)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful car! And its awesome to see you live the life ive always wanted! :(
haha jkjk... kind of!

But good luck with everything for the 2012 season, everything so far looks exceptionally well!

Now it looks really sweet with that aluminum piece on the hood. Great work!

Why wouldn't it work for a daily driver, even in theory? If you make the cooling system more efficient it should work better in any situation.

Rain, snow, ice, leaves, dirt, pebbles, and anything else that gets accumulated from street driving would make it not very practical. In CA or something it's probably much more practical than around my area. You'd at least need to leave a slight gap, screen, or some drain holes or something at the bottom for street driving, as well as a screen at the top on the hood.

Last edited:
Looking Good Beau, I always thought something like this could work on a 2g but i never thought anyone would actually go ahead and do it.

It gets the bi**hs.LOL.

Wow OP nice friggin car, super clean and that ducting is absolutely beautiful. Wish they had one for 1g .

I think It's doable on a 1g. Part of me wonders if there could be a way to make a section close off the top... Or just a plug you can toss in there when you park it. (Assuming people don't walk by and steal it. XD)

I believe the tow hook is just for that purpose. To tow hahaha. On a serious note if you don't have a hook on your car that is easily accessable incase something happens to your car on the track you wont be able to run because its required . The faster they can pull an "injured" car off the track and out of the way of other cars the better. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

To the op I love what your doing. Would love to see you start placing in events.

Forgive me for being thick, but of what benefit is the red tow hook sticking out of your hood?

Quote from his thread on link:

eclipsegsx1736 said:
As far as the tow hook, that's the only place I trusted that was solid enough to be towed from. There aren't any strong mounting points on the front of a 2g besides the engine crossmember, and that would interfere with a splitter that I'm going to be adding soon. I've seen other cars with similar hooks and decided to steal the idea

Damn Beau, that came out nice. Making me rethink my plans of modifying the Carbontrix vent's small opening to work for this. That upper lip on the hood is bad ass and exactly what I was wanting to do - I was talking to a CF vendor recently wondering if they could create something like that. Can you send me the dimensions? Hell, can you put me in contact with your fabricator? Would you mind sharing the cost of the entire piece? Does the duct actually cover the entire radiator width?

My mistake, I shouldn't have assumed.

I was going off of this post...

I'm currently waiting on a local friend who will be helping me with some of the sheetmetal work for the duct. I'm planning on making a quick sheetmetal duct locally to test the system out, making any necessary changes, then sending out the finalised template to have it plasma cut and professionally formed by Andrew @ Frontline Fabrication (super95awd on the Link forums).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back