The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

My 1991 Eagle Talon AWD: From the beginning

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Underdog_

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 14, 2010
Knoxville, Tennessee
Hello All,

To start off at the very beginning, some of you may know me from my website where over the last 12 years or so I've been faithfully documenting my car hobby, with special focus on the Mitsubishis and DSMs. I currently own a 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD Turbo a 1992 DIY Turbocharged Mazda Miata (that's powered by a DSM ECU), but I'm most known for my old sleeper 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage with a 4G63 swap. I've also owned a 1991 Eclipse Turbo, 1989 Starion (swapped a 4G63 in that) and a 2003 Lancer Evolution. I recently returned back to my old muscle car roots, picking up a 1987 Buick Grand National. Feel free to visit my websites, I've got videos, pictures, build stories and lots more! Here are a few pictures for ya:

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_4788a.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0542a.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

Of course I've been capturing all of these shenanigans on video too!

1991 Eagle Talon AWD 0-130 mph acceleration run - YouTube

1991 Eagle Talon drag run 10/27/07 - YouTube

Dyno day for Sunflower, my chicken yellow '92 Miata
1992 Turbo Mazda Miata: Dyno Test - April 2011 - YouTube

Drag racing the old Mirage back in 2002.
11 second Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo - YouTube

One last humble submission- my 4G63 Mirage vs. my '03 Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution Vs. 1989 Mirage Turbo Sleeper - YouTube

Ok, with all of that said, I created this journal to document my Talon upgrades and racing results from the beginning-on. I wish I would've posted all of this stuff here sooner, but better late than never I suppose. I hope someone finds some helpful tidbits in here, as this site has been a great resource to me over the years.

I found my talon back in July of 2005, while browsing the old Se>DSM.Org website. I knew I had found a unique car and luckily it was still for sale when I found it. I knew I had to act fast, so I jumped on the next Greyhound bus to Atlanta and picked it up. You can read that whole story here.

Here it is back in 2005, 4x4 off-road ride height and all!
pass_side.jpg

It was wonderfully stock, and very well taken care of by the owner who had it since 1992.
dash.jpg

Even this sucker was still in it's rightful home. Behold the pleasurizer 9000!
mega_shifter.jpg

Here's something you don't see much anymore
engine_1.jpg

I even got these with it!
dsm_bible.jpg

manual.jpg

Good to see you posting on this site! I've been reading your turbomirage.com website for years, well before you started the blogging. Overall, you're an inspiration to us all and because of that, I'm building my own 89 original turbo Mirage! Thanks and good luck!

Amazingly clean cars man. I have wanted to own each of those at some point, so far just a talon.

Thanks for checking it out everyone! I appreciate it.

91stocker Thank you!

92 GSR-4 Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words! I've been a member of a few DSM sites for a long time, but between work, kids, etc. I haven't had much time to post much in the last 4-5 years, other than keeping up my websites. Good luck to you and your Turbo Mirage! It will definitely be a bunch of fun for ya. PM me some pictures!

sobmurda Thanks! I've wanted a Grand National since I was 12 years old. I love mine, it rides like a Cadillac, but can break the tires loose and get sideways at 60mph! ROFL The engine is so much different than a high-strung turbo 4. The GN turbo 6 is more like a diesel with it's big low-end torque, modest redline and gritty engine note.

david9291 Thank you! Good luck on picking up your future toys!

ilco187 I had no idea that folks were claiming to own my car! Are they saying my websites and stuff are theirs too? Since you are presenting this to the group with such skepticism and fervor, I think it's only fair that you provide some examples. I would personally love to see this. Oh and let me assure you that this is me and those derps are definitely not me. To put any doubt to rest, here's what's out in The Turbo Garage as we speak.

IMG_2334a.jpg

Thanks again everyone, and now it's update time!

It's August 2005 and now that I've found this awesome stock DSM after years of searching, it's time to take care of some of the things that have been neglected over the years. As you could see from the pictures above, the top of the engine looked clean, but there were some huge oil leaks that had been oozing down under for some time. Mainly the valve cover and cam seals, which when left unattended can make a HUGE mess!
IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

The whole timing belt area was a sludge factory!
IMG_0606.jpg

After many hours of cleaning and cursing, it was looking much better!
IMG_0609.jpg

While I was doing the timing belt job and throwing in a set of used 264/272 HKS cams, I gave the valve cover a nice shot of dupli color red paint. I'm amazed how well the Dupli-Color ceramic paints hold up. I painted this back in 2005 and it still looks great in 2012.
IMG_0611.jpg

I also picked up a set of 2G wheels, which I've always thought look right at home on the 1Gs.
IMG_0612.jpg

This was my garage back then, the Evo had daily driver duty while the Talon hovered just inches above the ground. :)
IMG_0615.jpg

During that time I also found an old (now antique) Buschur Racing front mount intercooler.
IMG_0619.jpg

It was the same intercooler that had been on Marc Hallman's Talon! You can see it here going for a wild ride. This was how to setup a DSM drag suspension back in the day. :hellyeah:
hallmanlaunch.jpg

While I was working on everything, I also took some time to stiffen up the motor mounts with my ho-made motor mount inserts. It's easy, cheap and works great! here's a how-to that I wrote up.
IMG_0699.jpg

Like many DSMs of this vintage, it too suffered from "saggy headliner". I ripped the whole mess out and made a clean, non-saggy new one.
IMG_0695.jpg

At this point I was in DSM heaven! Front end off, parts everywhere, you know what I'm talkin' about!
IMG_0703.jpg

My trusty bolt organizer/ice cube tray. I learned this from a mechanic years ago and still find it helpful today. But honestly, a true DSM'er has these memorized! LOL
IMG_0705.jpg

Bin-o-crap was growing by the day. I still have all of the old stock parts off of this car, I wonder if I'll ever bolt them back on? Who knows, I may have the sudden urge to have cruise control again someday...but probably not.
IMG_0704.jpg

You can read the full post of these updates with more photos and dry commentary here. and here. and here.

Thanks for reading, there's lots more to come as we get move from the past to the present.

Last edited:
If i could i would but they have since been banned and left the site, ive seen 2 upload these same pics to the gallery sayin it is there's and when i call it out that its not they remove the pics.

If i could i would but they have since been banned and left the site, ive seen 2 upload these same pics to the gallery sayin it is there's and when i call it out that its not they remove the pics.

Crazy! Well, I'm not sure what one would gain by grabbing car pictures off of someones else's site and uploading them to a gallery to call their own, it seems really bizarre. Thanks for the heads-up on that.

Guess what? It's update time!

Ok, now it's October 2005 and the parts are still flyin.

As I tore apart the console pieces that allow access to the ECU, I could feel the anticipation building. I had no clue if this was an EPROM car or not. As I finally got to the ECUs 'bat-like' position under the dash, I unbolted it from its perch and brought it to the workbench. I carefully unscrewed and removed the cover and there it was! The virgin chip lay ready for its horsepower sacrifice. I quickly sent it off to David at DSMlink for cap replacement and a general clean-up.
IMG_0708.jpg

The next task was to drop the filthy stock transmission and install a new ACT clutch, flywheel and pressure plate.
IMG_0714.jpg

Here's the new clutch parts bolted up and ready to disappear inside the bellhousing.
IMG_0755.jpg

After the transmission was bolted back in, the transfer case was reattached and filled with some new lifeblood.
IMG_0762.jpg

In this picture the driveline is all back in place and we're making fast progress!
IMG_0768.jpg

I needed a good 3" exhaust to get back on the road, so I started browsing various DSM forums to see if there was any good used setups out there when I found these gems! A used Megan Racing downpipe and catback system that was never even opened!

IMG_0725.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

I needed an off-road pipe, so I ordered some 3 inch flanges and got a piece of 3 inch pipe from a local exhaust shop. After test fitting it on the car, I tacked it into place with my welder, then took it off the car and welded it up for good. This completed the exhaust system, which had a throaty roar that sounded excellent!
IMG_0784.jpg

Next up on the task list was to change out the stock fuel pump for the venerable Walbro 255hp. I cracked open the fuel pump access panel and...WASPS!!!! AAAHHH!!!! Once I casually strolled back to my garage, like I meant to run out of there like my butt was on fire, I installed the new fuel pump and buttoned it all back up.
IMG_0793.jpg

The last few underhood to-dos were finished and I double and triple checked everything before calling it ready to roll. Here's a look of the engine bay before and after the months of work.
engine_1.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

After this was done it was time to fire it up. It settled right into a lopey idle and after checking a few basics I took if for its first drive. It felt so good to be behind the wheel of a DSM again! I couldn't lean on it since I was still breaking the clutch in, but it felt very powerful and responsive too. Here's a few pictures of it all cleaned up.

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

Thanks for reading! More to come...

Good to see your still in the game! This is Emodsm from the old TBDSM days.

Your cars are always super clean and well built, I look forward to reading more about the GN, like you i have always wanted one too...someday!

I just picked up an auto 91 awd and maybe picking up another 90 gsx just like the one i had way back.

nice, i seen your website but i want to see the full details.. clean talon you got i love it

emo1010 Hey man! Great to hear from you! I really miss the old TBDSM days. That was a great little group we had there. Congrats on your recent find(s) and good luck on them. The AWD autos are getting rare! Please post up some pictures or something on here. As for the GN, it's a great time to get one, the prices are very reasonable right now. Best of luck to you Eric, we need a TBDSM reunion.

rowdygst Thanks! I'm just summarizing the history here, the full details of everything I've ever done to the car are on my website. I'll post up more detail once I get to the present day stuff. If there are other questions you have or something else you'd like to see, just shoot me a PM.

Oh, and it's Update Time!

After getting the Talon done, it shared daily driving duties and did so very well. It was powerful and got suprisingly good fuel economy. Right at the end of 2005 I took it to the local 1/8 mile track (no 1/4 mile around here) to see what it could do in daily driver mode. My best was an 8.24 at 89mph, but the sixty foots were pretty lame for an AWD. The all season tires and stock suspension made non-tire smoking launches difficult at best.
IMG_0887.jpg

In August 2006, I had sold my Evo 8 and was driving the Talon to work almost every day. This amount of seat time in the car made brought some issues to light and I decided to make the car a bit more tame and tolerable. These mods included a quieter muffler, a Supra sidemount intercooler (so the A/C would work well again) a smaller 16g turbo and ditching the HKS VPC for a 2G MAF sensor. This wasn't exactly a highlight in the car's history, but it did make it far more comfortable for the 80+ mile a day journey. You can read more about this here.

In September of 2006, I'd finally grown tired of looking at/sitting on the shredded stock leather driver seat and decided to do something about it. I went from this:
stockseat.jpg

To this! A set of Neon SRT-4 seats. You can read all about this here.
seat_installed2.jpg

As time went by I grew to love this old beast more and more. It was sneaky fast, even on the 16g, and made a great daily driver too. But the stock, high mileage engine was starting to show its age. At idle or after a warm startup, a big puff of oil smoke would appear, signaling a tired old engine that needed attention. It still ran great and had good compression, but the james bond cloud that would appear behind me at stoplights wasn't too cool.

One night this came to me in a dream. I jumped out of bed and created this gif.
switcheroo2.jpg

The plan was to pull the awesome built engine out of my '89 Mirage (which was overkill for that little FWD beast) and swap it into the Talon. I mentioned overkill- here's what the mirage did with just a 20g on medium boost. It was a freaking death trap!

Front Wheel Drive Sucks! - YouTube

The stock 220k mile Talon Motor would get rebuilt and slid into the Mirage with a 16g turbo. During this process I would also ditch the smaller turbo, intercooler and injectors since the Talon was no longer serving exclusive daily driver duty. I picked up a low mileage FP Red and this spacious 28″ x 10.5″ Garrett intercooler to complement the package.
IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

Within a couple days I had both engines removed, swapping essential parts like flywheels, engine mount brackets and thermostat housings from one engine to the other. Then the stock Talon engine (which will be bolted into the Mirage after a rebuild) was placed on an engine stand and slid into a corner for a few months.

IMG_2458.jpg

I didn't take many photos through this process, but it was both fun and challenging as many small details had to be attended to. Here's the built engine on the hoist, ready to be placed on my budget temporary engine stand. ROFL The stock 220k mile Talon engine was plucked soon after this and placed on a proper engine stand.
IMG_2463.jpg

To travel back in time a bit, here is the Buschur Racing stage 3 short block being prepped for the cylinder head install back in 2004. This will make a great setup in the AWD Talon!
engine1.jpg

Speaking of the cylinder head, here's a couple close-ups in all its o-ringed glory.
head1.jpg

Almost ready to be bolted into the Starion back in the day. You can see the various RWD friendly bits installed at the time, such as the intake manifold, transmission adapter plate, flipped turbo mounting, revised coolant setup and lots more.
engine3.jpg

engine5.jpg

Here's what it looked like just before installing it into the Starion with the 2 speed powerglide hanging on for dear life.
engine_trans.jpg

So to recap, this awesome built motor started in here:
engine1.jpg

Then was swapped into the Mirage:
eng2.jpg

Then it's home in the Talon (to this day):
IMG_2789.jpg

One thing is for sure, the performance increase over the old stock engine was stunning! I took it to the track later in 2007 and it cranked out a 7.43 second run at 100mph in the 1/8 mile on 93 octane, A/C, etc. You can see that video in the first post of this thread. It suprised lots of people at the local hometown track that day! You can read all about that here.

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_5500a.jpg

Thanks for reading! Lots more to come!

Lol I want to know who else is claiming this car for their own.

Allright, Update Time!

Let's fast forward to September 2010- I've been enjoying the heck out of the car and liked the setup so much that I didn't change a thing for three years. While I was enjoying the car, there was one thing that I was missing real bad- drag racing on a full 1/4 mile track. We've only got 1/8 miles around here and I really missed the higher speeds.

Well, it took a long time, but I finally got the chance. Months before my trek to the track, I had read about a popular program called the "Bristol Street Fights." This was a series of street-tire only events that were run like a test and tune with some other fun stuff thrown in to draw spectators. For those that don't know, Bristol Dragway is pretty locked down. They have regular bracket races, but not much else.

When you come up over the hill about a mile from the dragway, the giant Bristol Motor Speedway appears over the horizon- and let me tell ya, it's a spectacle!
IMG_4870.jpg

Everything was big and intimidating here. Look at this timing tower! I'm used to small cinder block shacks next to the burnout pit, you actually drive through this monster.
IMG_4873.jpg

This is the million dollar view- if this doesn't get your heart pumping, nothing will.
IMG_4877.jpg

After a long wait, it was time for my first run. I pulled up to the line, drove around the water box and staged. I brought the revs up and left the line with a perfect launch. All four wheels bit the the track hard and even spun a little, but it never felt better. First gear was over in a blink and at 9500 rpm I banged second. The car was pulling very hard and as I went to get third gear, the shifter felt strange and with a nasty thwack, there was no third gear for me to grab. My mind raced, I tried fourth - nothing, then I was able to slide it into fifth and finish my run. I drove the car down the long return road while diagnosing the transmission issues. After a quick asessment, I had no first, second, third or fourth gear. Damn. 130 miles from home and only 5th gear to get there.

I parked the car in the pits and took apart the console to see what was going on with the shifter. It was loose and sloppy and it was all because of a cheap little plastic bushing at the shifter pivot point. Was this the reason for the broken transmission and botched run? It's possible, but sending 500+hp through a stock 200,000 mile transmission for years probably had more to do with it. With the sun quickly heading toward the horizon, I rigged up a zip tie to serve as a bushing so I could attempt the drive home. I made it, but it was a tough, long ride.

Sometimes you need to walk away from a car project, just to calm down and think about your next steps. So that's what I did - I parked the car and didn't think about it for about a month. After that, I had renewed energy and looked forward to fixing this and getting the car back on the road. So I put it up on jackstands (some call this the natural position of the DSM automobile) and tore into it
IMG_6434.jpg

I got the transmission out in record time. Not too bad for only doing it one other time when I first got the car.
IMG_6439.jpg

Here she is. Wounded, but still tough enough to bring me all the way back home. Luckily there was no external damage to the case that I could see.
IMG_6443.jpg

So now that I had my transmission out on the garage floor, what do I do with it? Over the years I've slowly challenged myself to tackle increasingly complex automotive jobs. It all started with porting the 14b turbo on my Eclipse back in 1999. That was a big deal back then, precision work compared to working on my old V8 Trans Am. From there it was cam swaps, timing belts, engine swaps, welding, etc. Surely I was ready to tackle a transmission rebuild on my own...right? So I consulted with someone y'all might know and he set me straight:
the_healing_final.jpg

After that sage advice, the next day I was on the phone with the legend himself, Mr. John Shepherd, to put together a good plan for this wounded lump of aluminum. I wrapped it up and sent it off a couple days later.
IMG_6451.jpg

While the transmission was in Ohio getting unicorn tears sprinkled on it, I took the opportunity to replace the clutch disc, flywheel and install a scattershield.
IMG_0015.jpg

Here's the factory Mitsubishi steel shifter bushing that replaces the plastic crap that dissolved away to nothing in my car.
Picture068.jpg

Finally the day had come!
IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Here's the car back together with it's fresh transmission. The transmission is 100 times better than my old wore out lump and it's nice to have piece of mind that I can trust this thing. Now I can shift at 9500 rpm with confidence! Thanks ShepTrans!
IMG_2200.jpg

You can see more details and photos on these updates here, here and here.

Update time!

So now that I've got my spanking new Shep-ified transmission bolted in and the Talon back on the road after that horrible night in Bristol, what should I do next? Go back to Bristol, of course! Why? It was out of my hands - I had to turn this around and triumph over what was a disastrous first visit.

This time around the clouds followed me the entire way there. An omen, perhaps?
IMG_3965.jpg

The good news is the rain didn't last too long that evening. In fact, the weather just kept getting nicer - and as time went by we were treated with a beautiful sunset behind the enormous Bristol Motor Speedway.
IMG_0759.jpg

Finally they called the racers to the staging lanes. As it was getting closer to my turn, I had some butterflies, but to help myself overcome the fear of breaking something right off the bat, I had turned the boost down and was going to short shift and generally take it easy. Ok, I'm being waved to the burnout box!

Before I could stage, the starter pulled us back. The car that ran in front of me dropped a bit of metal (what it looked like to me) on the track and the crew went to clean it up. This time was akin to 'icing' the kicker in pro football. So I took the picture you see below to remember that tense and overwhelming moment that felt like an eternity.

On this first run, I brought the revs up and feathered the clutch as I always do to ensure a good, smooth launch. Instantly the engine was banging off the rev limiter and the car was sliding sideways! I took a second to regroup, threw it into second and completed the run. My timeslip was terrible.
IMG_0760.jpg

After talking to lots of folks in the pits who seemed very impressed with my four wheel burnout, I decided to take it much easier on my second run. As I pulled up to the line, the nerves had calmed down and I eased the car off the line. I took it easy throughout the run by shifting slow and short shifting (again) and ended up with a decent 12.1@120mph. Not too bad, given the very conservative tune on 93 octane. For the next run I checked out the datalog and cranked up the boost a bit more and leaned out the fuel curve accordingly.

There was quite a sizable group of people waiting to see my next run and I definitely gave them a show! I pulled up to the line, brought the RPMs up and instantly the tires were spinning again. It was literally like being on ice! Then...just watch the video to see what happens next:

1991 Eagle Talon 1/4 mile drag racing - Bristol Dragway 2010 - YouTube

So if you just watched the video, that nice sound of a gunshot inside the car was the wimpy 3 bolt rear differential meeting its maker. I checked it out in the pits and saw some of the blood red Redline gear oil on the outside of the housing and decided to try to get it home. It was deja vu from the last time I raced and broke stuff here! I drove it out of the track very gently, listening closely for any weird noises and preparing myself for any other loud noises, or worse.

As I came to the highway, it started to rain. Let me rephrase that - rain is gentle and soothing, this was a freakin Tennessee monsoon. After a two and a half hour ride that felt like an eternity, I pulled into my garage and shut the car off. Once again my trusty Talon had brought me home after what I would consider major driveline breakage. As I lay in bed, I was already planning on swapping in the stronger 4 bolt rear that I have had in an old bin for the last five years.

Moving on to January 2011 I had swapped in the stronger 4 bolt rear long ago and was enjoying the car immensely. I even took it to the track in late 2010 on a nice, cool night to see if I could better my 1/8 mile time of 7.40@100mph. Well, I didn't improve my ET due to wheelspin (again) but I did reach 104mph, which felt great.

But there was something else that needed attention badly. This was my engine management and datalogging solution:
IMG_4534.jpg

Hard to believe you can make 500+hp on a 2.0L engine with that stuff, but somehow it happened. So what could possibly replace that rats nest of wires and doo-dads? This! The innovative, powerful and easy to use ECMLink!
IMG_4523.jpg

Here's the ECMLink EPROM chip/flash storage plugged in and ready to go to work. This is an ingenious solution to our old ECUs lack of flexibility.
IMG_4504.jpg

I picked up the barely used Lancer Evolution MAF sensor off of the EvoM forums. They can usually be had for $50-$75 and are easy to find. I got mine with a nice air filter adapter (not shown here). I also picked up a used MAF pigtail from the local junkyard, that I spliced into my existing DSM harness. I already had 3" coupling on the car, so the Evo Maf slid right on.
IMG_4542.jpg

I had read the excellent ECMLink Wiki prior to installing the software, so I was already pretty familiar with the interface and the basic configuration. After changing a few things and saving them to the ECU (cool!), I decided to try and fire it up. I wasn't sure what to expect (after years of crappy idling and "carburetor like" behavior with the VPC when it was cold. To my utter delight, she fired up and settled down to a nice 1100 rpm cold idle immediately! How great is that! What's more, I pulled out onto the street and it drove as smooth as silk! This is all with no fine tuning whatsoever. I was kicking myself for not doing this years ago!

Here's my Dell laptop running ECMLink, with one of my initial datalogs displayed. The datalogging tool is such a massive upgrade compared to what I had before, it's just crazy.
IMG_4646.jpg

Thanks for reading and you can see the full versions of these stories here and here.

Update time!

Let's jump to January 2012. The Talon has been parked for most of 2011 due to the usual life stuff- new baby, busy job, etc. In fact, this was the most action it had seen all summer- used as a lowly paint drying rack for my Grand National front end bits and pieces.
IMG_0604a.jpg

It probably would've stayed parked but a local DSM get together motivated me to yank it out of the garage and get it running again. So I jump started it and moved it over to my new garage for a much needed clean up.
IMG_2328a.jpg

While I was out driving, I snapped a few pictures of the old machine all cleaned up:
IMG_2372a.jpg

IMG_2374a.jpg

IMG_2373a.jpg

You can read the full update of this and the local DSM/Evo meet here.

Moving on to early February 2012, after driving the Talon more often, I got bit by the bug. Oh, you know the one...the "wouldn't 100 more horsepower just be perfect" bug. ROFL Honestly though, out of my car toys, the Talon was the best suited for taking to the next performance level- it had a solid, built engine, great transmission and the right engine management. I just needed to upgrade a few items to prepare for the next performance boost.

And that started by pulling it in the garage and making parts fly!
IMG_2418.jpg

No turning back now!
IMG_2420.jpg

Well that was fast! We now have a big hole in the engine bay waiting for shiny new bits. However, there's tons of turbo-related work to do before then. Like switching my water/alcohol injection to a water/methanol mix, adding a new methanol-friendly resevoir, fabricating an entirely new downpipe and turbo discharge pipe, just to name a few.
IMG_2425.jpg

Shortly after the tear-down day, parts started arriving! This was the first to roll in: the ERL cast stainless T3 flanged turbo manifold for the Mitsubishi 4G63 engine. I looked at every T3 header/manifold offering and chose this one for a bunch of reasons such as good fit, budget-friendly price and high strength. Here are a few angles of it.
IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

Comparison to the Evo3 Manifold
IMG_2468.jpg

You can't have more air without more fuel, so here we have the Jay Racing Pro Series PT341 fuel pump, fuel pump re-wire kit, Golan -06AN high flow fuel filter, a set of gently used FIC Bluemax 1250cc injectors and the various AN fittings needed.
IMG_2471.jpg

The next job was re-wiring and installing the new fuel pump. This is a gigantic remote, no?
IMG_2472.jpg

Here's the old 2005 vintage Walbro 255 next to the new JayRacing Pro Series PT341. Since they're practically identical, installation was a snap.
IMG_2479.jpg

Here's some of my old fuel delivery items. The 850cc injectors will be sold, while the fuel line will end up in my DSM stockpile somewhere. Hard to believe I made the power I did through that puny fuel setup!
IMG_2486.jpg

After cursing up a storm while cutting the braided stainless line and attaching the fittings, here's the finished product - a new, high flowing fuel filter and fuel rail feed line assembly to satisfy those thirsty injectors.
IMG_2494.jpg

That's all for now! To see more pictures and info on the "turbo upgrade" post, click me!

wow! nice build man........nice garage to! love that you got a the hard top on the early miata, shame they didn't come up with that earlier!

Thank you! Yes, the hard top makes the Miata a great little coupe. Much quieter, more headroom and a nice big rear window. BTW, this is the factory hard top that came with the car in 1992.

Thanks a ton for the views and comments everyone! It's motivating me to get out there and get this stuff done. :hellyeah:

ezspooling Thanks! Thanks also for the tool tip, I'll definitely pick one of those up if I do my whole fuel system that way.

9!'clipseDOHC Thank you for the kind words, I really do appreciate it!

nice cars, I was wondering what turbo kit that is on the miata? It looks really clean

nice cars, I was wondering what turbo kit that is on the miata? It looks really clean

Thank you! The turbo setup on the Miata is all DIY. It is T3 based and uses the inexpensive and surprisingly good/durable Ebay cast manifold for the 1.6l engine. I've got all of the details on my Miata website.

Thank you! The turbo setup on the Miata is all DIY. It is T3 based and uses the inexpensive and surprisingly good/durable Ebay cast manifold for the 1.6l engine. I've got all of the details on my Miata website.

Great read on your Miata site. I also subscribe to all the mainstream car magazines as well as all the other tuner magazines. I've enjoyed reading your writeups and pictures more than the magazines, thanks for sharing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back