The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

MS2 3.0.3 Wideband sync problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Try this to make sure the serial chip works. All the way at the bottom. Follow the setup for the usb to serial just to make sure its good to go. Megasquirt Serial Setup

After that go to the MS2 Extra area and go to downloads. download the 3.1.1 and read the README.txt in the zip folder Megasquirt MSEXTRA Manual Index

Correct, my problem is that when I go to upload I time out.

With the problems I am having I am leaning towards a dead cpu or a dead serial ic.

Its just way to odd, that the car would be running one second, or 6 hours straight for the most part, then the next second, run crappy, Tuner Studio go haywire and now I have 0 communication.

I will use a paper clip or something of that nature and try the jumper method, if that goes to no avail, then i will see about testing for those voltages.

I "DO" have a 5v reference out of the pcm. It seems everything is functioning as it should. EXCEPT for the fact that the fuel pump circuit is commanded aka grounded internally all the time, causing it to run all the time as long as the MS is powered up. AND (2) I have no communication in or out.

I did everything the tutorial stated, which was set baud rate to 115200, lowered the buffers to 1 on both settings, Comm port was 4, so I ok'd it all, opened up the file, ran it, set 1 for MS2, then 1 for debug, N for sayin no to the jumper, turned the key on, hit enter, hit enter to say yes everything is un-plugged, then it times out.
Did you try this, but while placing the bootloader jumper? Also, try setting your adapter to COM1. Sometimes the downloader can be a little fussy with ports other than COM1.

Set Comm port to 1, re-ran the firmware download only this time I choose to use the jumper.

It worked, it erased the existing firmware, and re-loaded the new firmware.

I lost all my settings, and un-lucky for me I didn't save a majority of them. It however saved my VE1 table, but lost everything else including my basic settings.

At least now I communicate with Tuner Studio, and my pump primes then shuts off.

Thanks a ton guys. Can anyone explain why this randomly happened?

^^^ Pft, ya ok :)

But seriously, why would this happen, any way I can avoid this in the future?

As far as I know, having an issue with the MS that causes resets and not fixing the issue, or a plan wrong setting. I had this happen to me a couple of times when I first got the MS1 on the car and turned out I had a engine constant wrong or something, it would reset everytime I turned the car off or cranked the key over a few times(like doing a keydance). Might have not had anything to do with it but thats just my experience with it.

could a high voltage do this? i think hes having an issue with the VR, where the voltages flux from 13-15V where it should be stable. for while driving/idle my voltage is 14.1-14.2 (according to TS)

MS1 chip was pretty buggy. The MS2 Is much more refined and stable. Im sure the reset cam from noise over the data cable or faulty power or ground.

Interesting. His noise filters are off( running my msq) Typically, as ive read, the filters are a "last ditch effort" Im leaning twords pwr/ground issue.

Im wondering if the injectors may be causing this? Depending on how they are wired, same with the VR, I have all my stuff on their own relays ie: Pump, Injectors, coil, VR, etc all have their own relays, to fight any issue like that. Just wondering if that could be one possible source. I wired mine different then what symtech suggests. Im not sure how OP did his.

I wired my MS the exact same way every manufacturer wires a ground controlled computer system.

I have power from fuse box in this case 60a fuse, to my asd relay (60a relay), ground controlled by MS, which receives its 12v power at the same time via same relay. ASD power is sent to a factory distribution block thus divided to power all PCM (MS) controlled devices, in this case; Alt, Injectors, M.S., Coil, Switched winding Fuel pump relay. All sensor grounds run from origin of sensor back to same junction connector (different row) and are grounded via (2) 14 gauge wires to same location MS grounds and Relay grounds are (which also happens to be where my battery grounds to.

The only thing I can think of, is that I noticed upwards of 15.1-3 volts at 3500 rpm, and I had painted and cleared my entire interior, and that maybe when I bolted my VR to the firewall it wasn't making a good enough case ground.

I fixed this by running a jumper ground from same location as all my MS and battery grounds to case of VR.

When I restarted the vehicle this afternoon I was charging at 13.3V, I'll spend some time on the map and rev it up to a fast idle of 3500 and see what my charging voltage is at that point. However I am not phased at a fluctuation in voltage from 13.3-14.5 from idle to raised rpm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back