The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Mr gasket copper exhaust manifold gasket or oem 4 ply exhaust manifold gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontsiboy24

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 28, 2009
60457, Illinois
Which exhaust manifold would be best and hopefully wont leak on me ever again? also i have a 1g 6bolt with a 2g manifold so do i get the 2g studs and nuts then? also when i remove the old manifold gasket do i have to also put a new gasket that goes from the manifold to the turbo?

STM - OEM 4G63 4-PIECE COPER EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET

STM: MR. GASKET COPPER EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET | 4G63

EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts - OEM Exhaust Manifold Gasket (4 Ply) : Mitsubishi Eclipse 90-99

Stick with the oem gasket. I've read bad reviews on the single layer copper gaskets but good ones as well too.

As for the turbo to manifold gasket, if you took apart the manifold and turbo then it would depend on the gasket used. If you have an OEM MLS gasket then you would be fine to reuse it; single layer then replace unless SS, just check to make sure everything lines up fine.

and to replace the exhaust manifold gasket what has to be removed?

You'll need to remove the exhaust manifold which the turbo is bolted onto. You might be able to pull the assembly out far enough to drop a new gasket in, but be prepared for broken exhaust manifold studs. Don't forget to use antisieze on the nuts and copper spray on the gasket.

Get the OEM one from STM (no handling fee)

Keep in mind that the Mr Gasket copper manifold gasket has a much smaller port size than the factory gasket. It matches up to the factory head/manifold port just barely, so if you've ever done any porting to the exhaust runners on the head or the manifold, the copper gasket will need to be opened up a bit.

I would recommend using the OEM 4-layer (the 3rd link in post #1) or the 2-layer MLS gasket for the manifold. And for the turbo to manifold gasket, read this: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...tainless-steel-7cm-turbo-manifold-gasket.html

Keep in mind that the Mr Gasket copper manifold gasket has a much smaller port size than the factory gasket. It matches up to the factory head/manifold port just barely, so if you've ever done any porting to the exhaust runners on the head or the manifold, the copper gasket will need to be opened up a bit.

I would recommend using the OEM 4-layer (the 3rd link in post #1) or the 2-layer MLS gasket for the manifold. And for the turbo to manifold gasket, read this: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...tainless-steel-7cm-turbo-manifold-gasket.html

so u dont recommend this one then=http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/7cm_turbine_inlet.htm

my 2g mani is ported and so is my 1g o2 housing so do i get 7cm?

also for the manifold studs and nuts do i get them for a 2g since i have a 2g manifold?

so u dont recommend this one then=http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/7cm_turbine_inlet.htm

my 2g mani is ported and so is my 1g o2 housing so do i get 7cm?

I agree with Paul. I had one of those become severely distorted to the point of blocking a good portion of the exhaust flow into the turbine. Seems to be more of an issue with the EVO3 turbine housing so you might be ok with the regular Big 16G. Nonetheless I recommend you get an oem mls like this:

Forced Performance Turbochargers: Mitsubishi DSM Turbine Housing Inlet Gasket

RRE also has them, part #GASK-FACT-7CMTURB

If the step in the collector of the manifold and turbine inlet has been removed by porting then get the gasket for the 7cm housing.

also for the manifold studs and nuts do i get them for a 2g since i have a 2g manifold?

Get the studs/nuts to match whatever generation of head you are using regardless of which manifold you are using. If you are using a 1G head then get the 1G kit or 2G kit if you have a 2G head.

I agree with Paul. I had one of those become severely distorted to the point of blocking a good portion of the exhaust flow into the turbine. Seems to be more of an issue with the EVO3 turbine housing so you might be ok with the regular Big 16G. Nonetheless I recommend you get an oem mls like this:

If the step in the collector of the manifold and turbine inlet has been removed by porting then get the gasket for the 7cm housing.

Get the studs/nuts to match whatever generation of head you are using regardless of which manifold you are using. If you are using a 1G head then get the 1G kit or 2G kit if you have a 2G head.

i have a 6bolt motor so i would get the 1g kit even though i have a 2g manifold?

i have a 6bolt motor so i would get the 1g kit even though i have a 2g manifold?

Yes, because there are two studs on the 2g head that are larger than on 1g. Unless of course you want to drill and tap for the larger thread

OEM 2layer ss gaskets work just fine and reused them many times with no leaks.
As romeen said, what oem mitsu actually comes with this 4layer copper manifold gasket?

OEM 2layer ss gaskets work just fine and reused them many times with no leaks.
As romeen said, what oem mitsu actually comes with this 4layer copper manifold gasket?

this is the one i just bought STM - OEM 4G63 4-PIECE COPER EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET

For that turbo inlet gasket link u posted i heard i need a sealing ring with it or no?

No, you can use it without the sealing ring. The sealing ring offers protection from blowing out the gasket and should make the gasket last longer. Another benefit of using the ring is maintaining high exhaust velocity going into the turbine housing=slightly faster spool. So if you still have the step in the manifold collector and the turbine inlet then I would recommend using the sealing ring with the gasket. If the steps have been ported out then using the stock gasket even without the sealing ring is still a better choice IMO than using the aftermarket ss sheet type gasket.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I viewed that link. Looks like a typo, as that gasket is not copper.

oh maybe but the gasket does look copper to me since i have it here in my hands but who knows but now i need washers for the exhaust manifold gasket does anybody know what size washers i need 8mm or 10mm?

No, you can use it without the sealing ring. The sealing ring offers protection from blowing out the gasket and should make the gasket last longer. Another benefit of using the ring is maintaining high exhaust velocity going into the turbine housing=slightly faster spool. So if you still have the step in the manifold collector and the turbine inlet then I would recommend using the sealing ring with the gasket. If the steps have been ported out then using the stock gasket even without the sealing ring is still a better choice IMO than using the aftermarket ss sheet type gasket.

i have the 2g mani ported so i dont need the sealing ring right?

I think Im going to go with the combo from RRE. Its about 3/4 of the way down the page it says "Combo Sale: 4 Layer Gasket and a 7cm SS turbine housing gasket $36 " I live local so I can go pick it up. Il let you guys know how it goes.

RRE's Eclipse Turbo Upgrades
Just so you know, that 7cm gasket is the one we're recommending against. Did you read the link in post #8?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back