The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Best Exhaust Manifold Gasket for the price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I am running a 4 layer gasket on the GVR4 but that is a different mission.

I have a Felpro exhaust manifold gasket laying around. Would you just copper spray it and be done with it or would you get a new exhaust manifold gasket?

I like to get reusable gaskets whenever possible, but I think that the 4 layer would be overkill for my Stock 1g beater. Still reliability is the goal.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The oem 4 ply is what Mitsu revised their 2ply to. Its whats on all the new 4g63 engines. Its a great gasket and can be resued, I have resued it mutiple times without a problem.

I do love copper gaskets because they help with imperfections on the mating surfaces, but I wouldn't reuse one. I know you can and there are people who have with no ill results, but like a crush washer I prefer to a get a new one.

Thats why I like the oem 4ply one. Proven to work and reuable. It will meet you goals.
Just incase you need it: MR323654

I have never used copper spray either on any of my DSM gaskets.

Last edited:
Ok all thank you.

Some questions now. The gasket that you all link to...how does that compare to the 4 layer which is just 2 bucks more shipped?

....and my1glaser...do you "reuse" the Felpro?

Thanks

In my experience the ffwd one sealed better when dealing with a broken stud. I always recommend repairing broken studs but in the odd chance that you're trying to survive with one the ffwd gasket has sealed mine with zero leaks. The four layer in the same condition leaked. I'd say the same could be true if the manifold surface wasn't perfectly true. The four layer is a great gasket and seals perfectly on a proper setup.

Ok all thank you.

Some questions now. The gasket that you all link to...how does that compare to the 4 layer which is just 2 bucks more shipped?

....and my1glaser...do you "reuse" the Felpro?

Thanks

The copper gasket listed on FFWD website is $28
A 4 ply gasket listed on extremepsi is $24

The copper gasket is fine to use on the manifold to head, but do not use it for the turbo or o2 housing gaskets.

The copper gasket is fine to use on the manifold to head, but do not use it for the turbo or o2 housing gaskets.

And why is that ???? Never had a problem with the copper gaskets when we had them made for us or with the FFWD gaskets in 14 plus years

I don't know about the FFWD copper gasket, but I once owned a Mr. Gasket copper manifold gasket and the port size was tiny. My head had been port matched using an OE MLS gasket and the copper one was alot smaller. It could have been opened up, but it would have cut into the embossed area. Just figured it was worth mentioning.

I've always used OE MLS exhaust manifold gaskets and never had an issue with one.

Last edited:
It seems that the main issue is the bolts backing out so some may have no problems with them. My car was daily driven during that time so maybe constant hot and cold conditions and vibration caused the failure.

Haha, no I don't reuse them, so I have about 4 laying around my garage. I'm sure I could reuse them cause they look fine, but every time I just end up buying a new one. You pay shipping and I'll send you one if you want.

Don't forget to add the 7.xx dollars handling charge over at extremepsi if that is still accurate.

Thanks for being cool like that...that is old school man...wish there were more folks like you.

I am probably going to go with a heavy duty one even for a low psi daily since the price difference seems to be so minor.

Haha, no I don't reuse them, so I have about 4 laying around my garage. I'm sure I could reuse them cause they look fine, but every time I just end up buying a new one. You pay shipping and I'll send you one if you want.

Really? The 11 grade bolts are backing out on you?

New oem "11" bolts with two conical washers for the turbo bolts and one each for the o2 housing.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back