The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Mi 6466 broken shaft...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boost Solution

Proven Member
Apr 22, 2013
Venezuela, South_America
hi i buy a new 6466 bb vband .82 turbo for mi Street/Strip car

I tune it to 30 psi with 90 percent duty cycle the car throw 620 whp on mustang dyno and ran 9.91 perfecly also gave several passes on the street.

I improve my fuel system and change my rods turn the boost up to 40psi and make 801 whp at 40 psi on dynojet whit a nice flat power-band. I tried it on the street, oil pressure, afr, egt everything perfect. I take the car to the track, rolling out of the tree the car ran 9.77 at 156mph with 40-44 psi boost.
for the next pass I start with two steep, spinning first gear, second perfect when I'm in third gear the car star to lose boost and suddenly turbo snap the shaft :confused:

the Dyno run https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQERb_AXrQ

the death off the turbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nXfuNCEb7g

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

"Make a ton of power...but not for very long." Seems to be the case with many PTE customers these days.

Shaft broke on the compressor side directly behind the compressor wheel- this means the problem was 100% the fault of the compressor. If it were a quality control issue (bad turbine), it would have broken where the "step" is at the thrust collar, or the turbine wheel itself would have broken off and left the compressor side completely intact.

So either the compressor was horribly out-of-balance from the get-go, one of the compressor blades sheared off on it's own without the turbo injesting something and put the wheel out-of-balance enough for it to eat itself, or the turbo failed from foreign object damage. Of course if you talk to PTE they're going to call it F.O.D. and blame it 100% on you whether their Chinese compressor wheel failed on it's own or not....that's how they operate. ;)

Dang I was kinda considering this turbo also. I guess the fp super 94 will have to end up doing the trick. Sucks to hear about, but I'm glad you posted this thread.

Not the first one of those that has done that.

I will add this here for you to look at:

Inside A Precision 6262 Turbocharger

Good Read! Thanks for sharing! I'm lucky i haven't had an issue with my pte or my last few. However, i hardy drive the car anymore and do not use mobile one on it. I do agree that fp and other brands out preform precision day in and day out as far as reliability, but my car budget is not what it used to be haha.

OP: what oil do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP: what oil do you use?
Oil type in a ball bearing turbo isn't nearly as crucial as a journal bearing unit. Ball bearings can survive on even the smallest amount of oil because the shaft is always fully-supported by the bearings.

I'd be more-concerned about the lack of coolant ports on these ball bearing PTE turbos. Coolant is required in all ball bearing turbos because the oil quantity is so small there's nothing to act as a heat sink and draw heat out of the cartridge. This inability to stay cool is evident by the severe discoloration on the bearing cartridge in the far right of the O.P.'s photo here:

...as well as the bluing on the outside of the center housing shown in the link from turbodirect above:

Oddly enough, the bearing cartridge in the turbodirect example which failed shows the exact same heat discoloration as the O.P.'s turbo:

In short- if you're going to be pushing a turbo like this to the max and you want the absolute best return on your investment, DON'T buy a coolantless ball bearing turbo from Precision. Go for something offered by FP or a Garrett GTX unit instead.

Last edited:
All the more definite proof we need to say that Precision makes garbage turbos, seen it too many times on peoples car in town. Precision cant always say these people made an "installation error" or "improper oiling",the pattern is very consistent of imminent failure. Cheap parts, plagirizing design, and supplying copycat components.Garrett,MHI and Holset have higher quality control, why people stray away to save a few bucks ..ill never know. I used to make fun of Turbonetics reliability, i dont know if i should anymore...

To be somewhat fair, all turbos are copies of some other turbo leading back to GE, or whoever was first to successfully use one on an internal combustion engine. The real question here is why won't they change the CHRA design for their ball bearing turbos to accommodate water cooling.

The real question here is why won't they change the CHRA design for their ball bearing turbos to accommodate water cooling.
Actually, ball bearing PTE turbos used to be water-cooled using a Garrett T3-design center housing. The real question here is why the hell did they abandon a proven design to build an obvious pile of garbage aside from ease if installation?

Actually, ball bearing PTE turbos used to be water-cooled using a Garrett T3-design center housing. The real question here is why the hell did they abandon a proven design to build an obvious pile of garbage aside from ease if installation?
According to the article posted above in beginning of this thread, it mentions Garrett stopped supplying PTE period, so they had to rely on sourcing other inferior desgins. I was not aware of that or if that information is true though

According to the article posted above in beginning of this thread, it mentions Garrett stopped supplying PTE period, so they had to rely on sourcing other inferior desgins. I was not aware of that or if that information is true though
Note that "Garrett T3-design" doesn't mean Garrett actually built the housing or the parts it contains.

PTE was canceled as a Garrett customer at the end of 2008 as noted by this information, yet they still continued to produce turbos like the SC6152RE using a Garrett T3-design ball bearing center housing. It wasn't until recently when the billet HP/PT-series was introduced that the absence of coolant ports began showing up on PTE ball bearing turbos.

Note that "Garrett T3-design" doesn't mean Garrett actually built the housing or the parts it contains.

PTE was canceled as a Garrett customer at the end of 2008 as noted by this information, yet they still continued to produce turbos like the SC6152RE using a Garrett T3-design ball bearing center housing. It wasn't until recently when the billet HP/PT-series was introduced that the absence of coolant ports began showing up on PTE ball bearing turbos.
Thanks for clarifying justin. Makes sense now.. Speaking of absence, if only poor quality and self destruction were absent as well...but lets not tell that to the public :shhh: (PTE customer service script) :toobad:

Plus one for holset quality control.

This doesnt nearly have enough views
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4hibZFtRddk&desktop_uri=/watch?v=4hibZFtRddk

All the more definite proof we need to say that Precision makes garbage turbos, seen it too many times on peoples car in town. Precision cant always say these people made an "installation error" or "improper oiling",the pattern is very consistent of imminent failure. Cheap parts, plagirizing design, and supplying copycat components.Garrett,MHI and Holset have higher quality control, why people stray away to save a few bucks ..ill never know. I used to make fun of Turbonetics reliability, i dont know if i should anymore...

This

I am not questioning PTEs quality, i think theres enough stories out there to be convinced. Had i read more before i bought i wouldnt have got a PTE. That said, I know there BB units never caught much flack, its always the JB versions that have a bad rep.
Have they improved their quality control since 08? I bought mine last year, only put 4500 miles on it but its in great shape. And i was pushing the limits for sure. Not heavy abuse or 1/4 mile but "spirited driving" over 30psi. I wonder if i just got lucky with mine.
It seems like their chra design is shit though and i do know their dsm housings are restrictive in comparison to others. I just wonder what their failure rates really are, PTE is the only one who actually knows it. Gotta be twice as high as garrett or holset.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back