The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

MegaSquirt, Bought used and serverally confused..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xI Dsmman Ix

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Hey guys,
I bought this MegaSquirt EMS from David-b, Ive actually bought a lot from him haha :D. Anyway, I got MSnS off his hands and I'm a bit weary of installing it myself, I've read many posts on it and even turned Bullets Tutorial into my bible for the past few weeks. Well, what I'm questioning is the harness I bought from him doesn't have the injector clips nor the vac line that I believe plugs into the back of the EMS itself. I believe I'm capable of installing it but I'm sure there's some of you like me that is scared as all hell your gonna mess something up and not have a car for awhile. I believe its MS1 with the v2.2 retrofit, I don't know if you guys remember what David-b had, but I know its good. I also believe it's maker was RSAutosport but I'm not sure. I guess Megasquirt should be bought new so you know exactly what comes with it. Any who, I was wondering if you guys could help a guy out with the install process and even the questions I asked. I wanted to install it tomorrow because it is my day off! So I hope you Megasquirt guru's jump on my post!
Thank you in advance guys!

-Miguel

Injector clips are not part of the harness as it is application dependent. Also, the vac line is any old vac line. You really would not want to reuse an old one would you?

The install is straight forward but not if you are not comfortable with soldering wire connections and reading a schematic. Have you referenced the Megasquirt wiring diagram?

Check here for links on information.

2GNT.com - Megasquirt_Resources_and_Information

Injector clips are not part of the harness as it is application dependent. Also, the vac line is any old vac line. You really would not want to reuse an old one would you?

The install is straight forward but not if you are not comfortable with soldering wire connections and reading a schematic. Have you referenced the Megasquirt wiring diagram?

Check here for links on information.

2GNT.com - Megasquirt_Resources_and_Information

I don't mind soldering at all, just a little scared I'm going to cut the wrong wires. So can I just disconnect the injector harness and use that? I have FIC 650 cc injectors that are going in with them. Let me get my unit out of my car so we can make sure what I have.

This is what it looks like
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The big chip has the code :MSV30 BG
I also see that in the middle it says: Megasquirt v2.2 copyright 2001 bowling and grippo

Last edited:
That is a v2.2 board.

You can splice your injector connections into the stock harness if your FIC injectors use the same injector clips.

A good central place to tap into is at the ECU where the two 40 pin connectors are. Locate which wires you need via the FSM and use T-Taps where the connection must remain at the OEM ECU or cut and solder where it is not.

That is a v2.2 board.

You can splice your injector connections into the stock harness if your FIC injectors use the same injector clips.

A good central place to tap into is at the ECU where the two 40 pin connectors are. Locate which wires you need via the FSM and use T-Taps where the connection must remain at the OEM ECU or cut and solder where it is not.

So its MSnS 2? AndI need to wire it up closest to the ecu? I have no idea what pins do what so I'm very clueless there. What about Bullets tutorial? He didn't do it at the ecu. I'm very confused now haha. The injectors are for the 420a.

So its MSnS 2? AndI need to wire it up closest to the ecu? I have no idea what pins do what so I'm very clueless there. What about Bullets tutorial? He didn't do it at the ecu. I'm very confused now haha. The injectors are for the 420a.

Yes, it's a v2.2 board and an MS1 chip.

It doesn't necessarily need to be wired in near the ECU, but that's generally the easiest location since all the wires you'll need are there. Do not, however, install the ECU there -- it must be installed inside the cabin -- only make your connections there.

Take a look at a wiring diagram for the 420A:

http://www.symtechlabs.com/support/docs/MSWiringGuide.pdf

VelocitàPaola;152377233 said:
Yes, it's a v2.2 board and an MS1 chip.

It doesn't necessarily need to be wired in near the ECU, but that's generally the easiest location since all the wires you'll need are there. Do not, however, install the ECU there -- it must be installed inside the cabin -- only make your connections there.

Take a look at a wiring diagram for the 420A:

http://www.symtechlabs.com/support/docs/MSWiringGuide.pdf

So should I use bullets way or near the ecu? How am I suppose to know what the signal wires are such as the TPS and other sensors? Can you please send me the link to Bullets tutorial? I can access it on my laptop. And With the MS1 Can I get stuff like 2step and extras?

So should I use bullets way or near the ecu? How am I suppose to know what the signal wires are such as the TPS and other sensors? Can you please send me the link to Bullets tutorial? I can access it on my laptop. And With the MS1 Can I get stuff like 2step and extras?

It doesn't particularly matter where you install the ECU, just do what's easiest for you.

You'll need to look at the factory service manual to determine which wire does what:

Download Useful Files - SymTech Laboratories

Here's Bullett's installation guide (it seems like you've already seen this, so I don't know why you needed a link):

2GNT.com - MSnS Install

You can add many of the extras with MS1, but it'll be difficult with the v2.2 board -- it doesn't really have any room to install them.

Alrighty I have an update, I have all the sensors wired up, I have the injectors wired up but here comes my questions, It says on my sheet of installation that I need a 2 amp fuse and two 5 amp fuses between the power for the injectors. Well I didn't have the harness so went straight off my stock harness, I didn't touch the power so do I need these fuses? Also I'm in need of some help to hook up the 4g63 Transistor because its different then Marks in his tutorial. All is good because of Vel and Code. Hope you guys can help me finish this up and maybe help me with a tune? Haha.
Thanks guys

-Miguel

VelocitàPaola;152377723 said:
Take two pictures of the sides of the ECU (including the two endplates); yours might have internal ignitors.

The fuel injectors should have their own fuses, but you definitely need to use that 2A fuse.

You can find base maps here:

MSQ File Repository - SymTech Laboratories

Alright, heres the sides of it. Where would I place the fuse? Just on the power line before the relays? Thanks for the Maps.

Alright, heres the sides of it. Where would I place the fuse? Just on the power line before the relays? Thanks for the Maps.

Also I'm having trouble with the Crankshaft position sensor, it says the wire is coaxial, I cant seem to find this wire in my harness..

It doesn't appear like you don't have any internal ignitors installed; you'll need to install them or use an external ignitors (i.e. 4G63 ignitor).

Also I'm having trouble with the Crankshaft position sensor, it says the wire is coaxial, I cant seem to find this wire in my harness..
You probably don't have the exact same harness. Yours may not use a coaxial cable.

VelocitàPaola;152377909 said:
It doesn't appear like you don't have any internal ignitors installed; you'll need to install them or use an external ignitors (i.e. 4G63 ignitor).

You probably don't have the exact same harness. Yours may not use a coaxial cable.

Well I can't find the wire for the crankshaft position sensor, and I know I'm gonna need this wired up, what should I look for? Also I have the transistor but its abit different then Marks in his tutorial.

Which wire need to be solder to the Megasquirt coming out? Then which one goes to which coil?
Also do I need a 20 amp fuse since I'm splicing the 12v wire into the ASD Relay at the ECU?

Well I can't find the wire for the crankshaft position sensor, and I know I'm gonna need this wired up, what should I look for?

You can...

a.) Use a multimeter and check for continuity between pin 24 and each wire until you find the correct one.
b.) Disassemble the connector and find which wire is connected to pin 24.
c.) Ask the person/company you bought it from.

Also I have the transistor but its abit different then Marks in his tutorial. Which wire need to be solder to the Megasquirt coming out? Then which one goes to which coil?
I'm not sure about the ignitor. You'll have to do some research and determine how it's supposed to be connected. I'm sure the answer lays somewhere in these forums.

As for how it connects to your MegaSquirt ECU, that really depends on how the ECU was configured. It may not be configured properly at all. I can do my best to help you if you take very clear pictures of the top and underside of the board, but you might consider having the ECU professionally serviced.

Also do I need a 20 amp fuse since I'm splicing the 12v wire into the ASD Relay at the ECU?
Most things, like the coil and fuel injectors, already have fuses in the stock fuse block. You don't need to duplicate those fuses if you use that part of the stock wiring. Be sure you do add a 2A fuse to the main +12V power wire for the ECU, though.

You got the crank sensor figured out correct? The "coaxial" wire that was being talked about was the the thicker wire with another wire going through the center of it. For some reason Im thinking it was blue. But it's the thickest wire in that loom.

This is what a coaxial wire looks like

As far as the tranistor, as I said, I never had it hooked up since I was only starting off on the tune with fuel. Stock ECU can handle spark timing up to low 20s psi. I did have it all set to be wired up, but don't remember how it goes. Don't have the car anymore, so don't have anything to look at anymore.

This is the only pic I have with everything wired up before I cut an loomed everything up. Crimps are where MS meet up with ECU. Wires off on the top were not used at the time (or ever I think). This is the best I can do though.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got the crank sensor figured out correct? The "coaxial" wire that was being talked about was the the thicker wire with another wire going through the center of it. For some reason Im thinking it was blue. But it's the thickest wire in that loom.

This is what a coaxial wire looks like

As far as the tranistor, as I said, I never had it hooked up since I was only starting off on the tune with fuel. Stock ECU can handle spark timing up to low 20s psi. I did have it all set to be wired up, but don't remember how it goes. Don't have the car anymore, so don't have anything to look at anymore.

This is the only pic I have with everything wired up before I cut an loomed everything up. Crimps are where MS meet up with ECU. Wires off on the top were not used at the time (or ever I think). This is the best I can do though.
Thanks guys but I got it all figured out last night, and thanks for textin' me back Dave, I found and fixed the crank position sensor wire, just was confuse that it said IGN on the wise of the wire. The MS works perfectly, although I need to put the CLT in now and run the Vac line. I put a base map on there, where should I start to keep it idling?
Thanks again guys, you were a huge help in gettin' my car back together.
-Miguel

VelocitàPaola;152378559 said:
You can...
I'm not sure about the ignitor. You'll have to do some research and determine how it's supposed to be connected. I'm sure the answer lays somewhere in these forums.

As for how it connects to your MegaSquirt ECU, that really depends on how the ECU was configured. It may not be configured properly at all. I can do my best to help you if you take very clear pictures of the top and underside of the board, but you might consider having the ECU professionally serviced.

I'm just gonna tune it for fuel like Dave did, but if you can find this information that would be a HUGE help man
Thanks
-Miguel

I didn't have a good chance to tell you about the 5vref wire when you asked. You don't absolutely need to connect it to the sensors, however I HIGHLY recommend it. On mine, I was having some bad noise coming through on the sensors, which was causing problem with MegaSquirt. The TPS readings on MS were fluctuating between 0%-10%, which makes MS think that you're on the gas, and starts adding/removing fuel. +/-2% is ok, but anything more you start getting bad things happening.

The TPS has 3 wires running to it. The middle should be the signal wire, then the outsides are ground and 5v power. Off hand, I don't remember the colors off hand, but I'm going to assume the ground was black or some variation of black. What I did cut the ground and power wire. I ran one of the grounds from MS directly to the TPS, then the 5vref to it as well. This way, there is no noise coming through the stock ground/power. Then the TPS wire from MS should be connected either at the sensor or ECU (whichever you want). After I did this, the TPS always read 0% at idle and never had any noise anywhere in the signal (proven in the many logs of runs)

I think I said the CLT needs a 5vref but after thinking about it, I don't think so. Just run the CLT wire from MS directly to the new sensor, and the run one of the grounds to it as well. Can ground directly to chassis, but I ran one of the grounds from MS to it. Again, kept the signal clean.

Not sure if you hooked the WBO2 up yet, but I would run the ground wire from that directly to one of the grounds on MS as well.

For the vac source, when you get that line off, I would take some compressed air and blow out the nipple on MS where the line connects. I had some oil blowby coming through. It won't make a difference in the readings, but I just didn't like the oil sitting right by the unit like that.

And lastly, don't start doing any tuning, until you have the TPS, CLT, vac line and WB all connected. MS needs to see those in order to operate correctly. The CLT is used for warmup enrichment and for starting pulses. Should be able to figure out what the rest are needed for :) But make sure those are installed and MS is getting proper readings from them.

Hope this helps some more.

Mostly good information Dave, however, all of the ground wires from the MegaSquirt ECU should be connected directly to chassis ground. None of them should be connected to sensors. The sensors should have new ground wires run to the same point where the MegaSquirt ECU is grounded.

The CLT and IAT sensors just have to connections, one for the signal and one to ground. The signal wire gets connected to the MegaSquirt ECU and the ground wire should be connected to where the MegaSquirt ECU is grounded.

The same goes for the wideband system. Ground it at the same place the MegaSquirt ECU is grounded.

I'm just gonna tune it for fuel like Dave did, but if you can find this information that would be a HUGE help man
Thanks
-Miguel

The information is right here on DSMtuners. I don't have the time to do your legwork for you, but you're certainly welcome to find it yourself.

VelocitàPaola;152381219 said:
The information is right here on DSMtuners. I don't have the time to do your legwork for you, but you're certainly welcome to find it yourself.

You have most certainly done enough work for me Vel, pointing me in the right direction would be a plus, but I think I can handle that. I need a new CLT sensor, do you know what make/model of car it came from? Thats the last question I'll ask regarding me installing MSnS, I swear. ;)

And Dave, Ive done all of this because your text messages really came in handy! I may text you while I'm tuning for reference if that's okay?

Thank you again to you guys for being such a big help in my endeavor.

-Miguel

Edit: Searched 2gnt and found that I could use either a 86 Jeep or Blazer CLT. Haha, Thanks Paul.

VelocitàPaola;152381217 said:
Mostly good information Dave, however, all of the ground wires from the MegaSquirt ECU should be connected directly to chassis ground. None of them should be connected to sensors. The sensors should have new ground wires run to the same point where the MegaSquirt ECU is grounded.

The CLT and IAT sensors just have to connections, one for the signal and one to ground. The signal wire gets connected to the MegaSquirt ECU and the ground wire should be connected to where the MegaSquirt ECU is grounded.

The same goes for the wideband system. Ground it at the same place the MegaSquirt ECU is grounded.

Completely forgot about the IAT in there. But same concept.

I kept having signal noise problems grounding everything where MS was grounded to on the chassis. That car was an electrical nightmare (previous owner half-assed radio, alarm, and god only knows what else; but that's a different story).

As far as the Idle control, the 420a doesn't have a stepper motor, so it doesn't work with MS. In the beginning what I did, was disconnected the IAC from the TB and then just used MS to hold 14.7afr at 0% throttle and adjusted the flapper screw to sit where I needed it.

At higher boost, the IAC will blow open and screw up your idle. What I ended up doing then was pulling the IAC, cracking off the tip, filling the idle passage with pennies then putting the broken IAC back on there to hold the pennies in place. Worked great, and only cost 11¢

I'm glad I could help via text. Been stupid busy so doing what I can. Again, for tuning there's a ton of info online everywhere. I'll do what I can but tuning is nearly impossible via email/txt/forums. You are always welcome to post screen shots or logs from MS here and we can check it out.

Funny, my goal was to get away from MS and DSMs and cars in general, and I'm helping 2 people with MS and working on the Monte Carlo when I find time. Keep getting dragged back in :hellyeah:

As far as the Idle control, the 420a doesn't have a stepper motor, so it doesn't work with MS. In the beginning what I did, was disconnected the IAC from the TB and then just used MS to hold 14.7afr at 0% throttle and adjusted the flapper screw to sit where I needed it.

At higher boost, the IAC will blow open and screw up your idle. What I ended up doing then was pulling the IAC, cracking off the tip, filling the idle passage with pennies then putting the broken IAC back on there to hold the pennies in place. Worked great, and only cost 11¢

Actually, the 420A does have a stepper motor idle air controller. Many MegaSquirt ECU's do not have a stepper motor idle air controller, though. It's not standard hardware, so to speak, and it's only available with MS2+ processors.

If you do integrate this controller into your ECU, you shouldn't have any problems with the IAC moving under heavy boost.

Update: Thanks for all the advice guys, I actually have the car running and driving at the moment, I have a minor exhaust leak that is messing with AFR's but its not messing with the tune to bad. I have another problem that me and Dave tried to figure out. I'm tuning on Tunerstudio MS, I have TPS lag, I calibrated the TPS and I measured how many volts it was getting and it came out to .556v, I do not have the VREF wire install because I believed I wouldn't need it. Also, I downloaded a MSQ that was the same code and everything, but as I downloaded it to the unit, it shut my lights off on the unit and when my car is running it blinks, but when I rev up the engine it blinks faster until the LED's light up all the way. the unit is functioning perfectly. I just found this entirely weird. Check all connections, read up on it, maybe it's a noisy alternator? Not sure there. And to be fair I searched for these problems all over 2gnt and DSMtuners, but I couldnt find anything on the TPS lag on Tunerstudio. Help would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
-Miguel

Edit: The LEDs lit up perfectly before I downloaded that MSQ. I don't know what happened.

You'll have to describe your TPS problem in more detail.

The LED's are supposed to blink. The two outer LED's correspond to ignition events in either cylinder. The center LED can be programmed to indicate whatever you want.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back