The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Maximum Amount of Power?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want an up-to-date fact. What's the maximum amount of horsepower and torque that I should run to my 420a? You can see my current specs and setup in my DSM profile. I have multiple performance parts and forged parts that are meant to take a beating. But I am concerned about my block. What's the breaking point? Am I close? Should I stop striving for more power?

I few member on here have made a little over 400hp with forged internals.

I've seen neons running 500-600hp on a built 420a. The block and crank can take alot of power. What will take it out is when some other part breaks and grenades the engine.

like if the engine drops a valve cause the timing belt broke when your were at higher RPMs so the valve breaks instead of bends

Or if your car isn't tuned properly causing pre-ignition and detonation.

Yeah, just keep going as long as you feel comfortable. The point I am trying to make is with all the "how much power can I make with X? others made Y", parts are no guarantee. You can pop a motor at low power with forged internals, all they do is increase your buffer zone when on a bad tune or when something else lies, like a wideband.
Inevitably, it all comes down to the tune and truth in the feedback you get.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back