1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Maximum Amount of Power?

Posted by BLACK'98DSM, Apr 16, 2019

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I want an up-to-date fact. What's the maximum amount of horsepower and torque that I should run to my 420a? You can see my current specs and setup in my DSM profile. I have multiple performance parts and forged parts that are meant to take a beating. But I am concerned about my block. What's the breaking point? Am I close? Should I stop striving for more power?

Street Build 1K  9

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

225  2

2012 Murray Explorer Dune
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

145  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
  2. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I few member on here have made a little over 400hp with forged internals.

3. dustyboner

dustyboner DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 13, 2016
    abq, New Mexico
    I've seen neons running 500-600hp on a built 420a. The block and crank can take alot of power. What will take it out is when some other part breaks and grenades the engine.

like if the engine drops a valve cause the timing belt broke when your were at higher RPMs so the valve breaks instead of bends

Or if your car isn't tuned properly causing pre-ignition and detonation.

4. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    Keep going until you break LOL. And then rebuild, possibly backing off a little

Street Build 2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. BLACK'98DSM

BLACK'98DSM Proven Member

Joined Feb 9, 2019
    Hoover, Alabama
    The only thing I'm concerned about is my timing belt (it was $25 at RockAuto). But I guess I can get the $90 one and not worry! :cool:

And I guess if it can hold more power, then I will make more power...

Street Build 1K  9

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

225  2

2012 Murray Explorer Dune

145  6

2009 Troy Bilt Bronco
  6. curt-s

curt-s Proven Member

Joined Dec 21, 2008
    Winterville, MB, Canada
    Yeah, just keep going as long as you feel comfortable. The point I am trying to make is with all the "how much power can I make with X? others made Y", parts are no guarantee. You can pop a motor at low power with forged internals, all they do is increase your buffer zone when on a bad tune or when something else lies, like a wideband.
    Inevitably, it all comes down to the tune and truth in the feedback you get.

Street Build 2K  1

1991 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM