1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Manifold burning altenators

Posted by Buddy2, Jul 11, 2020

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    I just wanted to create thread about this common issue with these cars. This is a problem that will create alot of frustration untill you really get problem pointed out in to altenator (having volt meter in dash is a great idea). Melting altenators has bring alot of idle and tuning issues to me once it starts to burn. I do use head shield on my downpipe but i still managed to fry another altenator in 2 years. This time i will be shielding new altenator better and installing volt meter in dash.

My findings on my current altenator is that it was charging battery enought to keep my car going for a long time but slowly i got issues with my tune even my battery light did not pop up yet. it was still charging some while i was driving but totally dead ad idle in the end and finally battery light came on at idle.

I opened this altenator to actually try to pinpoint the problem with heat and if its actually possible to fix old ones instead of buying new.

This is what i found inside altenator. Some solders are actually melted from the heat and voltage regulator has bad connection on other side. What im going to try is re solder all connections and try if it starts working with old regulator. I really dont know much about electricity so these are just my ideas. I noticed when you solder altenator coil wires in make sure they are enough deep or your cooling blade will hit that coil wire. I just used small scredriver to bend them down once i noticed this.

I basicly just resoldered every connection and tried the altenator whitout changing new voltage regulator. Now car is charging 13.2v at iddle or cruise so the voltageregulator is mostlikely toast i think. I will try to put in new regulator as these are around 30$ but i allready have new altenator on the way so this is just experiement.

In europe its pretty hard to find these altenators allready so its pretty important to keep them from burning in future for me.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020

349  9

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    CAM280 likes this.
  2. frosh29

frosh29 Proven Member

Joined Jul 29, 2004
    Wallington, New Jersey
    This is great info!

Thanks
    Scott

Street Build 270  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 463  1

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  3. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    That's why I make alternator heat shields and wrap the o2 housings.

Buddy2 and ThunderChild like this.
  4. Mham2k

Mham2k Proven Member

Joined Feb 8, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I went through about 5 alternators then I created a heat shield, wrapped it in exhaust wrap and stuck it between the alternator and o2 housing/downpipe and this one has been good for about 3 years. Simple fix to a very annoying problem.

Street Build 507  1

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    Doubleot, ist dwa and Buddy2 like this.
  5. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    Absolutely! The amount of frustration when your car craps as altenator starts its path of death. I plugged volt meter in to cicar lighter and will be keeping it on in future. I think there is good spot to install heatshield from powersteering pump bolts.

349  9

awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Supporting VIP

Joined Jan 5, 2012
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I made one out of aluminum, bolts to the dipstick bolt and one of the bosses just above the oil pan rail. Pic doesn't show it greatly, but I know it works as I can actually touch the alternator case now after a drive.
    IMG_20200630_160615.jpg

Street Build 813  3

1990 Plymouth Laser N/T
    fwd · manual · 1G DSM

758  8

1987 Toyota Pickup/Hilux
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 1K  7

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  0

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM

Street Build 3K  10

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Bud92gsx, talon77, d1prospect and 4 others like this.
  7. mitsubishikid

mitsubishikid Proven Member

Joined Jun 8, 2009
    Turlock, California
    i plan to use some heat shielding from German cars at my local parts yard, the stuff has little round dimple like craters in it to help reduce temps, looks like the stuff in the ebay link below, it is used on lots of bmw mercedes audi/vw cars even on the transmission tunnels, if you need a large piece, and it keeps temps down i plan to wrap it on the exhaust manifold https://www.ebay.com/i/153894046600...MIj9OwsqvG6gIVEhLnCh3YlwmZEAQYBSABEgL-SPD_BwE

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020

1K  0

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 1G DSM
  8. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    I thought I was killing alt, but the guy rebuilding them for me said I was melting the insides. I made a shield, actually ran a cool air duct to it wrapped and heat coated the o2 problem solved.

Run a 150 amp alt with a diode trick to fool it give me an extra .5v. Ground wire off the alt case to the frame, and an extra 8ga wire from the fuse block to the power terminal of the alt. Lots of good voltage.

I have one on both my 1gs.

I have an extra heart shield for sale, pm for details. 20200712_020221.jpg 20200712_020228.jpg 20200107_160834.jpg

9. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    The factory location for the alternator is a terrible place, water/salt/crud from the highway, heat from the exhaust and oil from the leaky power steering system, the best place for them is in the back of the engine where the a/c used to be.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  10. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    Damn you got some clean enginebays!! i bend some thin aluminium that i just hanged from lower powersteering bolt. I will put something on that altenator power cable bolts as it could have really bad things to happen if the shield hits it in any situation.
    Altenator heat shield.jpg

349  9

awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You NEED the orange rubber B+ cover on your alternator like right now, I have seen a fire from what your doing.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    ist dwa likes this.
  12. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    Yes i know as i said that up there. I have battery disconnected from vehicle as im wating my new altenator to arrive.

349  9

awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  13. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    I know what you SAID, I dont know how seriously you might know that it is from a safety standpoint,,you seemed to be not all that concerned about it as if you might get to it at some point and it really should be gotten to immediately, thats all that I was getting at.

Drag Race Build 4K  24

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  14. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    Ok cool thanks. I do know what happens when you put allen key between battery terminals and how dangerous it is. I just did not see a point connecting battery as i will be switching new altenator once it arrives.

349  9

awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. ist dwa

ist dwa Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2009
    Centerville, Ohio
    Doubleot likes this.
  16. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    Yes. Those are actually better than orginal as they cover the whole wire. I did some retesting and installed new regulator yesterday in this unit but voltage remained at 13.2. I was pretty sure it would fix but nope.

Hopefully new alt will be here in few days.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020

349  9

awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  17. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    I just installed a new alternator and i'm pretty certain it's toast already LOL I'm going to warranty it out and build a heat shield before I reinstall.

Street Build 3K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    279.1 whp · 325.3 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Buddy2 likes this.
  18. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    Sound like a plan :) i got my new altenator today and installed. Only problem was that even it was same number than my last one it had too wide mounting point so i had to use some spacer there. Mostlikely i have now 2 working altenators as i was dump and noticed cicared lighter only receives 13.2v all the time and thats where i just plugged volt gauge in to while fixing another altenator that was not charging. 14.2 at battery now. Lets see how long lifetime for thisone ahead (prolly more than motor anyway)

349  9

awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  19. Doubleot

Doubleot Proven Member

Joined Mar 15, 2009
    Spanish Fork, Utah
    Tested my alternator and battery yesterday, turns out my battery is junk now LOL 6 years old I guess it lived a good life.

Street Build 3K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    279.1 whp · 325.3 lb/ft · 2G DSM
  20. Buddy2

Buddy2 Proven Member

Joined Oct 7, 2013
    Helsinki, Europe
    Update.
    So far good with heat shield installation. Been driving car for couple of weeks and no problems. Only thing that is bad with mounting headshield only from ps pump is that it does vibrate when revving engine 4k rpm here. Will make another support point to headshield.

349  9

awd · manual · 1G DSM

155  0

manual · 1G DSM

633  8

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    Doubleot likes this.