The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

making a hood scoop

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amskater

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 4, 2007
LA, California
I was thinking about making a little hood scoop right above my short ram filter on my drivers side. Has anyone Else done this and how much of a difference would it make getting more air into my filter. Just looking for some advice

It wouldn't do much in the way getting just air, but it may help in getting cool air.

It won't necessarily get more air, just because you would need to construct a ram-air system that sections off that part of your engine bay so any incoming air is forced through the intake.

Us turbo guys have several versions of modifications to get cooler air, including scoops, removing the one headlight, cutting through the bottom sheet metal just behind the headlight, and routing to the outside area by the bottom of the bumper.

I do not know what your actual gains will be with an N/T, but it should help slightly.

ive always wanted to get a dsm hood with the hump on the passenger side and somehow fabricate a hood scoop going to the turbo.. i guess thats another project for another day :cool: . as for a n/a hood scoop i think its nice as long as its functional. many people have them for better air circulation in the engine bay. just my .02

a functional hood scoop is what I would like to make seeing people put on non-functional scoops doesn't make sense to me. I saw a 1g with holes cut out to get air into the short ram that looked like a good idea too

its a waste of time/money. i had a 2g n/t they make a pipe that makes it come out in the bumper my fiter sat at the lower drivers side opening if you know what i mean worked great

thanks for the reply and if I was to also construct a ram-air system that forces air into the filter would would you recommend this mod or would this not be worth it
Ram air works great- over two-hundred miles an hour. Otherwise, cool air is good, and you're usually better-off ducting it in from the bumper than cutting holes in the sheet metal. There's a tech article and several threads and techniques for this.

yes it was 2 inch or 2.5 inch piping i forget now it was about 6 years ago when i had the car

My buddy has the cold air intake on his talon N/T where the filter is located right on the front of the drivers side bumper. Looks good and is probably the best solution for the coldest air since its not traveling throught the engine bay.

Ramair does indeed work at speeds much lower than mentioned. I tested the intake pressure of my intercooler hood scoop on my WRX and at ~80 mph measured 8-10" water static air pressure. Autospeed.com did an entire article about cold air intakes and actually did a ram air pickup. Again, they measured roughly +9" water of intake static pressure at around 140 kph (88 mph). That is roughly 1/4-1/3 of a psi at a reasonable speed, which is a big gain.

You would need to make your piping pretty big to avoid any flow losses, probably 4" smooth bore aluminum pipe or pvc to make it work. Cold air intake alone on my GSX is worth about +10 h.p.

If your going to source high pressure zones for ducting air to airfilters or heat exchangers etc, then I'd suggest getting a Magnehelic Differential pressure gauge in the 0-100" range from Mcmaster or directly from Dwyer and start laying the vacuum tubing on the areas of the car that you want to measure pressure.

The area you want to put a scoop is a low pressure zone, you'd need a very tall scoop to get into a high pressure area, same problem on my STi with the intercooler. YMMV.

It'll look a lot better (stock, not rice) if you just duct your bumper opening up into the underside of that filter. Hell, go crazy and make a box around the filter so it can only draw through the bumper.

I would do the headlight mod. Cut a hole into the headlight and a pvc pipe into it to direct airflow to the filter. Its a petter alternative to taking off your headlight while driving on the street and putting a scoop on the front driver side of the hood. To me it would just look retarded. A scoop and directly behind it, a hump.:rolleyes:

It'll look a lot better (stock, not rice) if you just duct your bumper opening up into the underside of that filter. Hell, go crazy and make a box around the filter so it can only draw through the bumper.
I like that Idea ducting air from the bumper to my filter . has anyone seen a write up on this? and lasthope05 I can see what your saying it would a little weird with the hump so the scoop idea has been scraped thanks for the advice everyone

Home made hood scoops etc and vents will cause turbulance beneath the hood.. the car was designed a certain way if you want cooler air try one of the many cold air intakes :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back