1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Lower separator plate worn

Posted by GSX_Dan, Apr 24, 2019

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. GSX_Dan

GSX_Dan Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    My lower valvebody separator plate has a worn/ovaled hole where the pic says "1/4"steel checkball". I can't find any to buy and all my spares also have worn holes.

Does anyone know where to buy one(the small plate)? Or if there's a fix such as drilling it out larger to make it round again? What if I leave it alone? what does that checkball affect?
    Screenshot_20190424-153948.png

2. Crackerman

Crackerman Proven Member

Joined Feb 28, 2018
    Alvord, Texas
    I have seen guys peen the hole closed (smaller i.d.) , and drill it to proper size with a step drill bit (round vs triangular shaped hole of a typical drill bit.)

3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Leave it alone, it will be fine.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  4. 1990TSIAWDTALON

1990TSIAWDTALON Moderator

Joined Nov 14, 2013
    Independence, Kansas
    If it was working fine, leave it as Matt says. If not, get the correct measurement for that hole, put a shotgun shell lead shot on the hole and pound it in then file it flat and drill out to the correct measurement....or get a different plate. I have seen it done, and I believe the 175 shift kit has some little round "plugs" in it for alterations to the plate, if my memory still serves me correctly. It could have been on a different platform but I think that was in my sons shift kit when I did it for him.
    Really, if it was ok......leave it be as stated.

Street Build 4K  27

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · automatic · 1G DSM

662  14

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM

497  18

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 701  7

1998 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 5K  11  25

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    13.620 @ 108.460 · 1G DSM
  5. GSX_Dan

GSX_Dan Proven Member

Joined Jun 27, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I will leave it alone for now and keep hunting for a new or undamaged plate. If it turns out to be a noticable problem with shifting or holding a gear engaged/clutch pressure I will attempt the mentioned repairs.

My research indicates that checkballs inside a valvebody have 2 functions: a) to control the apply/release pressure(like valves) in which case it doesn't matter much on a drag trans, b) as shuttles, or to change flow direction, in which case they're critical. So which one is this little guy? (the shift kit doesn't provide a thorolon ball for this)

6. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    It acts as a pop-off/check valve.

Drag Race Build 3K  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM