The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Valve body separator plate dents

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95eclipseSlow

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2007
Taylor, Michigan
Will these small dents on the valve body separator plate cause any problems? This is the larger of the two plates and the dents are on the bottom of the plate (opposite side of what the instructions show). They are not deep, but when I rub my finger across I can definitely feel them. I used a mallet instead of a small hammer when hitting the plug. Just want to make sure I did not ruin a brand new plate :ohdamn:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

May I ask why you were using a hammer in the first place? I don't remember needing one while installing my shift kit. It looks like you chewed up the holes while drilling them out, too. When I drilled mine, I used a block of wood under it and cleaned the burrs off with emery cloth. It looks like you attempted to countersink them.

If those dents bridge a passage, I can see them causing a problem.

I was using a hammer to hit the aluminum plug to expand it. The hole was countersunk to provide for a better fit for the plug. So if those dents do bridge a passage what affect will it have on the trans or it all depends?

pressure loss and maybe erratic gear shifting. maybe no gear at all in some cases. try it and see.. worse case you have to buy a new plate. maybe some clutches if it loses pressure and slips for too long.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back