The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Lets talk Difs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks ACM. I'm glad you're able to put up with the ignorance and repost it. I'm glad it's all in a nice list and the good pic a few posts up should simplify this for anyone who wants to go this route.
I am on the prowl of an evo diff myself as well as something for the center. This has been a great and informative thread.
Need some extra help to try and steal 1st away from the local hotshoe at the rallycross circuit.

Thanks for the breakdown ACM. I'm sure you have posted it but this thread is getting pretty long to sift through for information, this should really get documented elsewhere.

That being said, is there any way to use the 2G non-LSD inner cup in lieu of Evo inner cups? It is very promising that outer dimensions are the same, but if you can't assemble it to any axle that will work, then it unfortunately isnt' any help to us.

Interesting piece of information... I talked to the DSS guy and he told me that the 2G non turbo FWD front inner axle joints are the same as the evo... does someone have axles to confirm this? Perhaps tell us spline count and the engaged shaft/seal diameter?

Would be a really cheap option if so.

I don't know anything about 1Gs, however Jon@TRE indicates the Evo III rear diff works for 90-99 AWD DSMs, with the following caveat :
* Requires the use of non-lsd 4-bolt axles

So presumably that's the answer.

Thanks for the breakdown ACM. I'm sure you have posted it but this thread is getting pretty long to sift through for information, this should really get documented elsewhere.

That being said, is there any way to use the 2G non-LSD inner cup in lieu of Evo inner cups? It is very promising that outer dimensions are the same, but if you can't assemble it to any axle that will work, then it unfortunately isnt' any help to us.

Yeah, unfortunately those axles seem pretty uncommon and not cheap new. Trying to find something that you could presumably find in a junkyard, even.

Regarding non LSD four bolt axles, I have never found a 4 bolt non LSD dif or even been able to look up a part. I have had up to 15 1G cars in my backyard at once, and my friend has literally had about fifty cars in his possession over the years, and have never found a non LSD four bolt rear, it seems that after late 92, all 1G AWD cars have an LSD rear.

There seems to be an option on Rock Auto for them, but they're $140 each (including core charge, not including shipping)

Yep, I found that on their site as well, but if you look closely, it says theyre out of stock and you must send in your own for remanufacturing. I called Rockauto, and they were perplexed as the whole thing just didnt add up when they tried to find the part on their end. I even tried JNZTuning, and he couldnt find any record of them either, and Mitsu of course just wasnt helpful either. 140 is cheap when paying full retail anyway, if the part exists, anyway. The Evo axles can go for 200+ each used, but if you get on their forums, you can usually find a set easily and for less than that. I was fortunate and there was a member here selling the dif and axles so I just bought it all.
Regarding the 2G NT front inboards being compatible with both the dif and rest of the 2G axle, I know a guy who might be able to help me determine this, and I will contact him for you 2G guys, but just in case, everyone whos interested should also try and find this out.

If you had read this page of the thread, you'd know you have the easiest route :)

I skimmed through the first few pages and didn't see anything. I gave up too soon, I just went and re-read and page 4 said it plain as day. Facepalm.

That's pretty damn awesome to know the gear ratio for the rear end are identical between 2G auto and Evos. I can just take the thing, bolt it up and go. :D

Last edited:
if by 'bolt it up' you mean shim the pinion and diff for proper gear contact ;)

And Id feel more comfortable swapping the ring gear off my DSM auto dif onto the EVO diff if it were me, even if it is the same ratio in the case of an auto, cause your DSM ring gear is already "bedded" to your pinion.

And Id feel more comfortable swapping the ring gear off my DSM auto dif onto the EVO diff if it were me, even if it is the same ratio in the case of an auto, cause your DSM ring gear is already "bedded" to your pinion.

Good advice. I think I'm going to do that. You and decathect make very good points. Still pretty cool knowing I don't need the Evo cups or etc.

Anyone have any info on 2G non-turbo FWD inner axle joints? I might go to napa and ask to measure one and i'll report what I find out.

Hello guys!

I'm doing the AWD Swap into my GST. I got the non-LSD rear end and I wanted to put the DSS Level 2 axles with the Evo diff, which reuse the stock cups, however, they're for LSD equipped cars only. Is there any way to do that, do Evo axles have different lengths??

Hello guys!

I'm doing the AWD Swap into my GST. I got the non-LSD rear end and I wanted to put the DSS Level 2 axles with the Evo diff, which reuse the stock cups, however, they're for LSD equipped cars only. Is there any way to do that, do Evo axles have different lengths??
You will need Evo3-9 cups to go with DSS axles.

You will also need the LSD Axle tripod bearing since they are bigger than the non-LSD.

So it's Evo cups -> LSD tripods -> DSS Shaft?

Can it be the Evo's tripod bearings or they have different splines? Didn't someone say that the Evo's cups are the same as Non-LSD cups or am I imagining things?

Non-LSD tripod bearings are smaller than the LSD version, plus they have a different spline count. Non-LSD inners are functionally identical to Evo inners - they are externally identical, but internally they are slightly different.

So it's Evo cups -> LSD tripods -> DSS Shaft?

Can it be the Evo's tripod bearings or they have different splines? Didn't someone say that the Evo's cups are the same as Non-LSD cups or am I imagining things?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back