The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Let's talk 4G63 Turbo Oil Feed / Supply Locations- ALL TURBO BRANDS

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The only thing that bothers me is i keep getting the run around. I've been told so many different sizes by people running holsets. Some run without a restrictor and its fine. Same with drain line some run -10 an fine. I have a -12 drain line. The -12 fitting is on the stock holset drain fitting. I was told by BEP that the -4an oil fitting will not over-oil the turbo. But still dont have any feed line or restrictors just because im unsure of what to run. I dont want to have to get my turbo rebuilt after a few thousand miles. So i dont want to starve the turbo but dont want to get too much oil. I've been told .075 by jusmx141 who i bought it from. But i still havent seen or talked to anyone running this restrictor with alot of miles on it.

jusmx141 - how did feeding the HX40 from the head go? I can imagine without balance shafts that your oil pressure at the turbo would be about 40psi - which is within specs for HX40 (under load).

Hey guys Blaine from Bullseye Power.. To answer any questions on feed we require a -4 an feed line. Oil Pressure must maintain at least 60 psi at the turbo at normal op rpms. If a restrictor is necessary do not use one smaller than .080

Here's some interesting information to add to this thread.

14B? RESTRICTED in the banjo fitting at the turbo direct from the factory. Here's the two ends of a 1G factory feed line- notice the tiny hole in the first pic compared to the large hole in the second pic of the fitting which connects to the head:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

T25? RESTRICTED in the fitting which the supply line threads into at the filter housing direct from the factory. Notice the tiny hole in the center of the fitting of this example from my totally-stock '97 GSX. The outer ridge of the flat portion where the hole is drilled shows how much larger the 1/4" tube that supplies the turbo actually is:

So both types of factory turbochargers for our cars are fed from their respective sources with restrictors in their oil supply lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slight thread rez. I am putting on a (what looks to be) turbonetics turbo in a couple days. Well, point is it is a t3/t4 and I will be running from OFH. This 4an flange has a restrictor built into it, but will that be too little oil for what I need?
F7 T3/T4 -4 AN REGULATOR Turbo Oil Inlet Flange+Gasket | eBay
And then with that will a 10an drain be too little also? I figure I will probably just be better off concocting my own drain system, since it can never really be TOO big right?

All depends on what your oil pressure at the filter housing is and what the thrust system of the turbo is like as certain thrust systems are more of a parasitic drain, effectively lowering the pressure in the cartridge. You may not need a restrictor at all if you're running a large enough drain and your oil pressure doesn't exceed 70psi. Keep in mind its less-catastrophic to over-oil a turbo than it is to over-restrict.

Like so:

Keep in mind this does not have to be permanent.

hey justin.. what size fittings are those and where did you get them?? I have been looking everywhere for fittings to fit off my stock ofh to a 4an to feed my turbo.... cant find a 90.. cant find anything.. but that set up looks like what i need...

Hey guys Blaine from Bullseye Power.. To answer any questions on feed we require a -4 an feed line. Oil Pressure must maintain at least 60 psi at the turbo at normal op rpms. If a restrictor is necessary do not use one smaller than .080

Whats the max safe oil pressure on a s259?

I just got this turbo and will be using a -4an feed and -10an return.

I have balance shafts removed and plan on feeding from the head, havn't installed a oil pressure gauge yet so not sure how much oil i am gettign from the head.

I know what your thinking this subject has been beat to death, and trust me i have read it all. Ive searched and searched and all i have found is different opinioins and no straight facts. Heres what ive gathered so far.

Im going to be running a PTE 5857 Journal bearing ive read about OFH location, -3and or 4-an lines , some say restrictor and some say no restrictor, then some are using a -10 an feed and some a -12.

i Emailed ExtremePSI to see which kit i should get, heres the response:

Hello Mario,

If you plan to run your oil from the filter housing without a filter, we only have one option for that listed here: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

For the return lines, we have two types. One that is stainless braided and the easier to install push-lock style.

Push-Lock: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

Stainless Braided: EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

You will need to select the correct fittings in the drop down options as well.

Regards,
Hung

what do you guys think, only thing that concerns me is that it does not state what size the oil feed is so ill have to follow up. I also suspect that its the same size as my E16G oil feed just maybe a different fitting?

I run that exact feed unrestricted with the Stainless drain on a journal bearing PTE6262. This is what was recommended to me by Precision and they will honor the warranty if it does fail.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also feed from the OFH.

I'd imagine they're talking about a -4AN feed, which will be like a fire hose at wide-open throttle without some type of restrictor; although if they're offering a warranty, I'd do whatever they tell you in order to make the warranty valid. If oil runs into the exhaust system, it's not your problem.

I'd imagine they're talking about a -4AN feed, which will be like a fire hose at wide-open throttle without some type of restrictor; although if they're offering a warranty, I'd do whatever they tell you in order to make the warranty valid. If oil runs into the exhaust system, it's not your problem.

yea but then i have to endure the headache of uninstalling the turbo send it out , having my car down etc etc . Im basically trying to avoid failure period. so justin what do you recommend ( besides not running a PTE turbo LOL)

*edit: one more thing i have a stock OHF(noport) and stock BS

Question for the experts here.

Trying to figure out weather failure of my turbo can be prevented this time around. I purchased a fresh rebuilt TD05 20G with upgraded "thrust hardware" from a member here on the board. I hooked it up the same way my Original EvoIII turbo was run for 140,000km at boost levels much higher then stock. (car is a original Evo III not dsm), with no issues until I removed it for more power :)

Anyways 2 weeks and 1000km in the compressor wheel started making contact with the intake housing. I emailed the seller and he said it had to be fed from the OFH because of the upgraded thrust and there was nothing he could do. Now I have searched and searched for days with no results on this "upgraded thrust", where you buy it and anything to do with its required pressure ect. Now my problem with just hooking it up to my OFH, like many others is that my BS are removed and I run higher oil pressure then normal. But my head is properly regulated, and every thread I read says if it is infact a Mitsubishi turbo the head should be the oil source and like stated before Mitsubishi reverted back to this for a reason....

So I took it apart and found one thing that did make me wonder. The collar for the thrust was very hard coming off the turbine shaft. In every other turbo I have seen this is not the case and surely it could not of shrunk like this from the heat alone as it barely goes on any part of the shaft without a mallet. Maybe, maybe not im not expert, so this is why I am posting.

Has anyone ever heard of this? So I ordered a rebuild kit from Tradergreg and want to confirm that if "properly" rebuilt I can feed this turbo from the head with the kit he supplies

Sorry I have read and read and read and no one seems to talk about this "upgraded thrust" for Mitsubishi Turbo's. So figured I would post it here instead of making a new thread

Any help is appreciated

Upgraded thrust hardware requires a filter housing feed due to the additional oiling hole in the plate which acts as a parasitic drain to the available pressure in the cartridge. A head source may only give you 30psi under full-throttle acceleration; some have reported as little as 25-27psi as their max. Add another oiling hole to bleed pressure off and those numbers can drop to fatal levels. Basically, the head source is chosen with an unmodified OEM turbo in mind...if you change something within the the turbo, you must change the oil supply to support the change. This may mean adding a restrictor if necessary to keep the pressure entering the turbo at a safe level.

The person who built the turbo for you should have explained this fully before selling the turbo to you or they should be responsible for repairing the unit. If it was explained and made clear but you chose to ignore what you were told, then it's on you.

Couldn't have found this thread any sooner :thumb:
I am getting ready to buy a fp green setup and that's about $2500 why spend $1300 twice.. I definitely am getting my feed from the head balance shaft is also removed here

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back