The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Issue with Kiggly 2G trans with 6 bolt adpter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREV TEC

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2002
Las Vegas, Las_Vegas
Im having issues with a 2G car we are doing an auto swap on. It has a 6 bolt motor so we are using the Kiggly adapter kit.

We have it all together. Everything seems fine till we install the starter. The starter gear is fully engauged into the ring gear all the time.

It will turn over, but if you turn the car over by hand you can feel and hear its rubbing against the starter gear.

I have a manual starter that was on the car and the starter that came from the auto car we go the auto from. They apear to be identicle, BUT every place Ive called list them as a different part.

Does anyone know whats different on the manual to auto starters???

Im hoping someone, somehow, put a manual one on the auto car we got from the junkyard.

Thanks in advance.

Im having issues with a 2G car we are doing an auto swap on. It has a 6 bolt motor so we are using the Kiggly adapter kit.

We have it all together. Everything seems fine till we install the starter. The starter gear is fully engauged into the ring gear all the time.

It will turn over, but if you turn the car over by hand you can feel and hear its rubbing against the starter gear.

I have a manual starter that was on the car and the starter that came from the auto car we go the auto from. They apear to be identicle, BUT every place Ive called list them as a different part.

Does anyone know whats different on the manual to auto starters???

Im hoping someone, somehow, put a manual one on the auto car we got from the junkyard.

Thanks in advance.

Are you using the thin factory block plate as well as the adapter plate? If not, you need to have it as it is what locates the starter correctly.

-John
IPT Performance Transmissions
Facebook- IPT Performance Transmissions
IPT Performance Transmissions Blog

Are you using the thin factory block plate as well as the adapter plate? If not, you need to have it as it is what locates the starter correctly.

-John

Yes, both the starter plate and the adpater plate are installed. The starter plate I used was from a FWD Automatic, and the tranny is an AWD. I wonder if that is the problem.

MD194962 - FWD M/T, FWD A/T, AWD A/T
MD167356 - AWD M/T

I found this looking around on this board. Seems like they are the same.

Yes, both the starter plate and the adpater plate are installed. The starter plate I used was from a FWD Automatic, and the tranny is an AWD. I wonder if that is the problem.

MD194962 - FWD M/T, FWD A/T, AWD A/T
MD167356 - AWD M/T

I found this looking around on this board. Seems like they are the same.

That plate should be fine, but I sometimes get calls from people who don't use that plate at all- which is really the only thing that locates the starter in relation to crankshaft centerline.

That said, other than making sure that you have a 2G automatic starter, you may want to reach out to Kevin, as he would know more about his adapter set up than I do :)

-John

You need to use an automatic starter..You wrote that you have both an auto and a manual starter but didn't clearly state that you tried them both...
CAPS shows that automatic starters have different part numbers.....

You need to use an automatic starter..You wrote that you have both an auto and a manual starter but didn't clearly state that you tried them both...
CAPS shows that automatic starters have different part numbers.....

I tried both the ones I have. The one I got from the junkyard with the auto trans is identicle to the manual starter.

I went to autozone today and asked to look at both a manual and auto starter. The automatic starter they gave me had a shorter gear on it than the manual starter. I will try that tomorrow but Im pretty sure it will work.

Did you ever get his problem solved

Wow bro, this is old. I bought another starter for an Automatic. The starter that came with the tranny must have also been a manual starter which is why they looked the same....LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back