The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Intermittent loss of 2nd gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
It feels like 2nd gear is still there. It gently clicks into "2nd gear" just like it always has. But when I let the clutch out it does not engage. It just revs the engine like it would if I was in neutral.

I hear a grinding/scratching/rattling sound at idle if that makes a difference, although I've been hearing this sound for a year now.

The shifter bushings on the trans are new and so are the ones on the shifter base. 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and reverse work like a charm. It is literally like 2nd gear magically dissapeared overnight.

Thoughts?

That's very strange. I know you just put that short shifter on. Maybe check that out to make sure nothing is restricting the shifter from letting 2nd engage all the way. If you still have nothing, I would disconnect the linkages from the trans and manually put it in 2nd. This would eliminate any shifter/cable issue. If you still have no 2nd gear, something must have broken in the trans. I cant think of what would happen to only loose 2nd after just sitting

The slider may still be moving onto the 2nd gear engagement teeth, but part (or all) of a gear is gone. Your transmission needs a rebuild. Get the transmission fluid out of it and you'll probably see fragments of gears in the pan.

It's just seems odd that it worked one day and the next it doesn't have 2nd. If you can't find anything wrong with the shifter, drain the oil and check for debris.

Everything seems ok as far as the cables and shifting assembly go. It definitely is internal. I'll have to inspect everything and see what's going on, maybe this weekend, if not tomorrow. I do agree, this is strange. I will keep this thread updated...

This worries me because mine has the same sound you've described in the past. ONLY during a cold start its like there are rocks spinning inside the trans, the colder the louder. When it's hot out the sound is diminished and once the car is up to temp and the gears have spun enough the sound is gone. I hope you can find an answer to this.

I have not checked the fluid level or replaced because of the controversy of what fluid the nvt-350 trans uses and the fact that it is no longer sold by mopar. Also I only have two jack stands and I know you need it up on four jack stands to change the fluid

This worries me because mine has the same sound you've described in the past. ONLY during a cold start its like there are rocks spinning inside the trans, the colder the louder. When it's hot out the sound is diminished and once the car is up to temp and the gears have spun enough the sound is gone. I hope you can find an answer to this.

I have not checked the fluid level or replaced because of the controversy of what fluid the nvt-350 trans uses and the fact that it is no longer sold by mopar. Also I only have two jack stands and I know you need it up on four jack stands to change the fluid

If you can see the full plug from up top, you don’t need to jack up all 4 corners. Drain the fluid, tighten the drain plug, then fill with all 4 wheels on the ground until fluid starts to run out of the fill plug. Just have something underneath to catch the fluid and you’ll need a long hose attached to a funnel.

@609DSM noise on cold starts isnt all that uncommon. If the trans has ever been replaced or rebuilt, that could be the reason.

As far as oil goes. Amsoil synchromesh, ATF, or 5w30 mobile 1 high mileage engine oil.

Any of these work fine.

@BLACK'98DSM to bad your not closer to me. I would help you tear it down

My Neon's transmission (NVT T-350) sounded like a rock tumbler on start-up, it went away with the clutch pushed in. I forget if it was the input shaft bearing or the clutch release bearing.

ONLY during a cold start its like there are rocks spinning inside the trans, the colder the louder. When it's hot out the sound is diminished and once the car is up to temp and the gears have spun enough the sound is gone.
That's almost exactly what mine is doing.

I shall add this... This has me very very confused.

So I try to take to for another spin. And it goes into 2nd gear just fine and works properly... But then the next time I try it, I get nothing... So, second gear comes in and out? This is pretty crazy...

Thanks everyone!

My Neon's transmission (NVT T-350) sounded like a rock tumbler on start-up, it went away with the clutch pushed in. I forget if it was the input shaft bearing or the clutch release bearing.

Yes I forgot to mention this as well. When my clutch pedal is depressed the sound instantly goes away. I have no history of prior modifications or work done to my car other than what I can see with my eyes. When I go to shift it goes into gear fine.

The 1/2 synchro is toast. I can see the excessive wear on it. Also the clutch was toast. Pretty sure it was the stocker. The TOB still felt smooth, but it was most likely the stock one as well so no doubts it was also toast. And to top it all off the trans was filled with regular gear oil. So there was just a list of things that could have been causing this issue. I will update once I get everything back together.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back