The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Transmission Grinds in 1st and 2nd Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Maniak

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2009
Butte, Montana
awhile back ago i blew my tranny and since there wasn't another used one in the state that I could find I ended up having to get one off ebay which was a huge mistake. It grinds horribly in first and second gear. Other than trying to blow off some steam and ranting is there anything that could lessen the severity of it?

i wonder if that economy buid can hold up to 500hp. i know it says less but u never know.

i wonder if that economy buid can hold up to 500hp. i know it says less but u never know.

Can you get laid for $5? Yes but why in the world would you want too? Same thing with this, could you possibly get away with 500 hp in a stock tranny? Maybe, but its only a matter of time till something lets go....

I already found out that the stock trannys are junk, and already threw two differentials through two cases, Is the stage 3 premium build from jacks transmissions worth $2,300 plus $200 for the case, because i want something that i can launch at the drag strip, and since it's fwd i want the transmission to stay together during wheelhop. Would it be better to just weld up my case and then order me a quaife lsd?

anyone?

anyone?

I already found out that the stock trannys are junk, and already threw two differentials through two cases,
Our tranny's aren't junk. 570whp through a stocker. Speed shifting for years at over 8k without EVER, as in EVER, burning a synchro.

As for differentials, THAT would be a weak point. If you are just spinning one tire, you will eventually end up throwing the pin. At least install diff pin savers. That will help. But you need to not do one wheel burn outs.

Is the stage 3 premium build from jacks transmissions worth $2,300 plus $200 for the case.

I read this and look at your profile and wonder if you are talking about the NVT-350 tranny (for 420a 2gnt's).

and since it's fwd i want the transmission to stay together during wheelhop.
No, no you don't. You want to fix your wheel hop. You will break things if you continue to launch with wheel hop. THAT is the reason that you are throwing pins. If you were to get any spool type set-up, you may not burn the diff but you will end up breaking other parts.....and then blame those parts on being "junk".

Wheel hop will slow you down and break parts. It is never wanted or accepted as part of a launch.

MB

$800 is outrageous for a core charge
As for differentials, THAT would be a weak point. If you are just spinning one tire, you will eventually end up throwing the pin. At least install diff pin savers. That will help. But you need to not do one wheel burn outs.

It had a ripgrip lsd differential, it was suppose to help my traction issues but it caused problems.When i started to do a burnout it must have broke then because it was only single tranction(which i didn't realize before i launched) If i dont get a quaife lsd my car will spin through third gear, what should i do for traction? here is the video of it breaking

YouTube - breaking transmission eclipse gst

Everyone, please be aware of what section that you're posting in. The OP has a 420a.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back