The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Leaking Transmission and Won't go into gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK Maniak

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 9, 2009
Butte, Montana
I was driving today when I heard a loud bang from from under my car, it sounded as if a rock flew up and hit the underside of the so I assumed it was that and continued driving.
About 200 hundred feet later on down the road I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and when I did so the car revved up as if it was in neutral. I then slowed to a stop and attempted to go from 1st but the car acted as though it was in neutral.
I then turned my car off and got out only to see a a trail of red fluid behind my car. I looked under my car and saw it pouring out from something which seemed to be under the pedals.

Sorry if that doesn't give you much info, I'm just wondering as to about how much money this is gonna cost. Any info is appreciated.

I'm just wondering as to about how much money this is gonna cost. Any info is appreciated.

First sorry to hear about your tranny. Second depends on how able you are to do your own labor. A tranny can cost between $125 at a pull apart to $350 and up at a regular yard all depends what kind of deal you can work. Installation labor at a shop could run $300 or so. Do a lot of calling around and hopefully you can work it out without to much money.

You won't find a "eclipse" tranny for any where close to a good deal here in Alaska.
I'd look for a neon tranny, they bolt right up and are way easier to find.
The neon trannys do have a different gear ratio though.
I got mine from NWAP (North West Auto Parts off of Boniface in Anchorage)about 2 years ago or for about 700 bucks, but it only had 5,000 miles on it.
Your tranny might have broke because you had A/T fluid in it!
At least that is the only "RED" liquid I can think of???
Here is a link to the Neon tranny information....
2GNT.com - 3.55

yea pink liquid on a manual transmission sounds odd i mean pink is used on automatic tranny's as far as i know....!

yea pink liquid on a manual transmission sounds odd i mean pink is used on automatic tranny's as far as i know....!

Yea when I was on the phone with my dad he got confused because I kept telling him that it was definitely red fluid but its a 5 speed...

I took my car to Midas and they just called and gave me an estimate of 3800 with labor:(

Yea im hoping to but they're almost impossible to find in alaska. I'm looking for a neon tranny now.

Yea when I was on the phone with my dad he got confused because I kept telling him that it was definitely red fluid but its a 5 speed...
Actually, the ATF-4 (automatic tranny fluid) is what they are now recommending for fluid in our 5 speed trannies. They did that as a cost savings measure. I would not put it in. There are other better choices. I use Amsoil. If you could located the original OEM fluid, that would be ideal.

I took my car to Midas and they just called and gave me an estimate of 3800 with labor:(
Ok, so here's the deal; at that price, I'll come up there, with a good tranny, and install it for you, LOL.

And yes, you can use a Neon tranny. The bellhousing will have to be switched and the gearing MAY be different. But you can pick one up with the same gearing (3.94 with .81 final). But try not to get any of the 3.55's out there. You probably won't like it.

MB

Ha ya no kidding. I found a shop that will do the swap for 400 which I can live with.
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the transmission from a neon a direct bolt on if its a 2001 or newer?

Does anyone know of a good place to look on the west coast because i'm most likely going to have to ship one up here

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back