The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 eclipse wont go into any gear, grinds second

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisR

Probationary Member
Jul 8, 2004
Georgetown, Kentucky
Not sure if anyone is still around here but Ive got a 98 eclipse that will not go into any gear when the engine is on, including reverse. Second gear also grinds whether i push the clutch in or not. New master cylinder, new slave cylinder put on today and the line was bled. adjusted the clutch too. Start the car in gear and it will jerk forward. Unless I need to do more bleeding I feel like I have eliminated everything I can before I take the tranny out. If I have I would like to know if the transmission needs replaced or if a new clutch would solve all the problems. I dont see the reason to put a new clutch in a transmission that still grinds in second gear. Any advice would be appreciated, no matter how off the wall it may seem. Dont want to pay more than I need to on this one its going to be a DD.

I can start the car in second gear yes. Ive only tried to actually drive it from the guy I bought it off ofs house which was only about a block and a half, but trying to start it in second will cause it to jerk forward just like it does in first. I dont want to cause any more damage than I may have already done but I could try to do it like you said tomorrow.

The clutch and pressure plate come as 1 unit on these cars right?

If this is an RS or GS, the clutch is still a multi-piece unit, but the install is different from a gst/gsx. IIRC, you install the clutch/pp/flywheel onto the trans, then bolt the trans to the engine, then bolt the flywheel to a flex plate piece. It's been a bit since I did one of those.

Definitely sounds like the PP is shot, or the clutch is fused to the PP/FW.

If this is an RS or GS, the clutch is still a multi-piece unit, but the install is different from a gst/gsx. IIRC, you install the clutch/pp/flywheel onto the trans, then bolt the trans to the engine, then bolt the flywheel to a flex plate piece. It's been a bit since I did one of those.

Definitely sounds like the PP is shot, or the clutch is fused to the PP/FW.
I was going off of this video. looks to be the same engine.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yes, that is a 420a motor, which makes it an RS or GS. Decent vid, but yes that's what I was mentioning, there is a separate flexplate that the flywheel bolts too. You have to unbolt that first, then the trans and clutch/FW assembly will come off (after you do all the other removal of parts obviously).

Thanks for the help guys. Ill update this thread in case others have the same issue.

Well, I had someone look at it. Needed clutch, an axle and an engine mount. Good news is it got hit by a bus so I should get a check any day now. Probably selling it to my dad for cheap, he just wants the engine. Anyway looks like everyone was right, needed a clutch.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back