The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Installing a turbo 4g63 into an nt 4g63

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have most of my swap done now,just need to plumb and mount the AFPR and wire the resistor pack and put the larger splined axles in to accomodate the 94 trans.

I have a Bosch injector resistor pack from a Volvo that a friend gave me and measured it at 5.7 ohm resistance.With what I read in this thread,resistor value the stock IRP is anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 ohm resistance and it seems this one I have will work fine.

Am I wrong there?

Hello, I have a question on a 1990 Turbo AWD swap to a 92 FWD N/T. I know for sure the gas tank has to be relocated & fuel lines as well. I have a 1990 GSX that I would like to transfer the AWD setup from to a 92 FWD Gs. Can this be done without too much headache. The 92 GS is in better shape body wise not adding its 2 yrs younger. I have already done the ECU wiring and currently using the 91-94 ECU with a dsmchip which was once in the 1990 GSX. If I have to FWD it I would like to use the AWD tranny and mod it using a limited Slip insert. What is envolved in doing the alterative if I have to go the FWD route if the AWD route is not possible? :dsm:

Also thanks for the replies in advance.

awd drivetrain in a 1g fwd is a whole hell of a lot of fabrication. The time, materials, and energy it would cost you could get you 2 clean looking awd shells instead.

It's alive!!! I put a couple gallons of gas in the tank the other day and cranked it,it fired right up and sounds good!!!

I set the fuel pressure at 37 PSI and it sounded even better,then I played with the CAS a bit to get the timing close and it sounds good!!!

I don't even have a Check Engine Light yet and that amazes me,theres EGR valve wires hanging with no EGR and I never even wired in the fuel pressure solenoid or boost control solenoid.

I just need to put axles in it,swap some fluids and hook up the boost gauge and its good to take a trip around the neighborhood and hang out in the driveway until I get a clutch kit for it,haha.

Very cool and thanks again for all your help and the great thread Mavisky!:thumb:

Do yourself a favor and don't start the car without any tranny fluid again. Your input shaft is still spinning in there and you could be damaging the bearings and/or shaft.

Do yourself a favor and don't start the car without any tranny fluid again. Your input shaft is still spinning in there and you could be damaging the bearings and/or shaft.

Agreed, it's just not a safe or smart thing to do. Glad to hear you got it running, but let's keep it running.

Oh,I'm done with it till the axles get in there,not trying to intentionally destroy anything,was just an oversight as it was late.

glad to hear you got it runing.. I remember when I first converted mine to turbo, I would get on it just to break the tires loose because when it was non turbo it wouldn't ! haha ;)

Interesting problem I ran into ordering these 94 axles with the bigger spline...nobody seems to have a different part # for 1G's,they all will ship the smaller splined axles even if you ask for a 94 set.

Carquest showed a difference in parts but its the difference between an Eagle and a Mitsubishi for 94 ...I told the guy there should be no diffrence but lets try anyway.I got only one axle first and although it fit perfectly,the threads for the axle nut were destroyed so another ones on order.

To Recap,If you put a 93-94 motor in and you need these axles,call Carquest and order them for a 94 Mitsubishi 2.0 turbo FWD

Drivers side - Carquest part # CV2199
Passenger side- (will post when it arrives or I find the reciept)

I've got a few questions... I have a 91 non turbo that I got with a blown engine, the only engine I could get my hands on quick was a turbo block out of a 2g. The car runs... but it sounds like a freaking rotary or something... it doesn't sound like any 4g63 I've ever heard, its loud and very hoover-ish. Compression was 120 all the way across. Its got a bit of an idle surge when you give it much gas, and it won't take off at a low rpm... also usually idles at a steady 1k, but sometimes it'll randomly loose everything and just die.
Also is it normal that this thing has absolutely no power? As in much slower than a normal non-turbo...

The car is still going strong! I recently installed an ACT 2100 clutch kit that stressed out the seal on my clutch master cylinder, which I have the rebuild kit for.

I have a CEL recently that comes and goes,I believe it to be ISC related.

I plan to get a SAFC for it,wideband,oil pressure gauge and FMIC this summer.

Once again,thank you for the great thread Mavisky!!:thumb:

Glad to hear it's still holding up. I just rebuilt the motor in mine, waiting on some 1000cc injectors to make it here from Canuckistan and then I'm going to see what I can get out of this 18g.

Nice,I bet that 18g will be fun.You running on 93 pump? I'm at the limit of my stock 450's and need to make the jump to 650's.I'm going to do the timing belt job with a Gates belt and eliminate the balance shaft in the next month and basically continue with maintainence until it's strip ready.

i just got a quick question for this thread, i am gonna be using a n/t engine harness in my 91 awd, i have 550cc injectors do i have to use the resistor box or can i get away with not using it, also i am gonna be using the 2g mass, i know i have to wire other things in but thats simple i just want to know what the box does and if its needed for bigger injectors.

ilco187, from carefully reading the whole 10 pages AGAIN last night, it seems that with the aftermarket RC 550s, you DO NOT need the resistor box. I am very interested in this, myself. I've got a nasty 92 GST and a georgeous 94 GS. I think I'm realizing now that I bought the GST to put the engine/trans into the '94. The thing is, the wiring harness in the '94 is so pristine, that I don't think I can bring myself to cut anything on it! It looks like a photo from a brochure under the hood on this car. It's almost super-natural.

Anyway, my real reason for chiming in on this thread is a simple FYI for everyone. Right now, my 92 GST is running the axles from my old 93 GS. IDK about 90-92 2.0NT axles, but 93-94 NT axles fit just perfect in the '92 FWD turbo trans. The difference is in the diameter of the axle-shaft itself. I was thinking of doing the AWD front-axle conversion when I do my swap. Anyone else done it?

I'm currently working on an 89 galant n/t. I have done a motor swap to a 4g63t and purchased a complete turbo wiring harness and ECU. I plan to splice in the Knock Sensor, MAS sensor, Injector resistor pack, etc.

The issue is the links on the pictures posted in the beginning of the thread are not working anymore so I don't know how to splice them in. Is there anyone else that did the conversion on an 89 n/t before? I also know I need a fuel pump as well.

Both of the harnesses are out of the car right now. Any help will be appreciated, Thanks!!

Updated first post with new image links.

Or should I plug in the turbo harness and run that through the car? An S-Afc has been hacked into the harness and I'm just worried if I plug it in, it won't work because I see a few wires not going to anything.

i have a question about the ecm, as i have never attempted this before and am already halfway through the swap. can the nt ecm be reprogramed or socketed? or is it just faster and cheaper to go to pic apart and grab a used gst ecm?

I know this sounds fairly ridiculous however are there alternatives to using a turbo ecu? i.e using a non turbo ecu with say a safc?

ok how much money would you say i would have to have to turbo my motor cause i have a 6 bolt nt but want to make my car turbo would 3 grand be enough and please dont tell me to just buy a turbo i am just wondering if that would be enough to make my 6 bolt nt a turbo 6 bolt motor. I know i could buy a turbo awd for that much but im just wondering and asking questions. and thanks for any help i get.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back