The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1.8L to 4g63 Turbo Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e85_4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Manheim, Pennsylvania
Just thought I'd start a thread to to show off my newest project. I recently purchased a 1.8L Talon DL from a local kid. The thing only ran on 1 cylinder and couldn't even move under its own power. I haven't really seen any documentation on someone doing the 1.8 to 4g63 turbo swap. It's not as hard as everyone thinks. Feel free to throw :aha: 's and comments my way. I don't have any plans set in stone, as far as upgrades go, but I'm have idea's in my head. So far I have the car, a 91 turbo wiring harness, and a turbo block from a 91 laser RS. Enjoy...

Attachments

• 1.8L to Turbo 1.jpg
    1.8L to Turbo 1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 297
  • 1.8L to Turbo 2.jpg
    1.8L to Turbo 2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 1.8L to Turbo 3.jpg
    1.8L to Turbo 3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 298
I was out today cleaning up the garage and what not. Got the stock SMIC mounted and the little black plastic air ducts pretty well lined up. Put the car up on all 4 jack stands and pulled the wheels off. Walbro 255 HP and Mallory FPR should be here tomorrow or Tuesday, big thanks to Hung at ExtremePsi and Summit racing for offering fast shipping for a good price. More pic's soon...

Decided to set some goals for the car. I've been reading other peoples threads and it seems like everyone wants to know what your goal is for the car before they'll give advice, or they'll give better / more detailed advice when you set a goal. There are 2 cars locally (95 supra targa 475.7rhwp @ 18psi and a 90 - 96 body style TT 300ZX that just did 475.9rwhp @ 21 psi), that I'd like to keep pace with. I know there cars are a little heavier and traction is less of an issue with them. My goals for this car are: 400fwhp / 12.5 E.T. So now you guys know the goals, what do you suggest parts wise?

I personally would recommend getting this thing running and making sure all of the essentials work, then afer youve driven it for awhile go with upgrades. It would be a major headache to start throwing a ton of money into the car on mods and not being able to get it running.

Thanks man, you've given me advice on things before, good advice might I add. I'm not so much worried about making the 400 right off the bat. I was just throwing my goals out. I don't plan on keeping the SMIC but I wanted to get it on the car just to have something to "get the car up and running". I know 400 can be obtained on the stock internals, but do you think it's a good idea to build a motor upfront or put a motor together with stock internals, then go forged later on?

If you already have a 6bolt bottom end then you should be able to achieve the 400 mark with it. Its all in the tune. A FMIC ECMlink with a good tune upgraded fuel system and a B16g would put you in the ballpark IF you can find somebody to tune it. You dont have to spend an assload of money on one just make sure you do things correctly. I see alot of people buying aftermarket parts and throwing them together and turning up disappointed with low numbers. Bigger turbos dont mean more power remember that.

I have a 6 bolt turbo motor that just got dropped off at the machine shop yesterday. It's just a stock setup though. I was thinking maybe I'd like to use 2g pistons but I hear it's harder to tune with them because the compression is higher, is that true? I've also been talking with Tom about DSMLink v3 for the car. I like the Speed Density idea better then using an air meter.

So the motor is at the machine shop, not sure how far it's gotten. The guy that does my machine work races sprint cars and my motor is kind on the back burner for the weekend. Hopefully I can get some more info next week. On a positive note, I changed out the throttle cable set up last night. I removed the cruise control stuff, went for a shorter route, non cruise, configuration. Got the FPR installed (-6AN from the rail and to the factory hard return line). I'm using a Mallory 4305M regulator (alcohol compatible, safe to run e85 with). Took the fuel tank out of the car. I ordered (and received) my Walbro 255 High Pressure pump (GSS-342) from extremepsi for a fwd turbo car. There is a little bit of a difference between the turbo fuel tank and the 1.8L fuel tank (I'll get pic's up soon, I have both sitting in the garage). Nothing to call home or worry about, the pump still fits. There are no mounting tabs to hold the pump to (in the 1.8L tank) so I just used a worm gear clamp (aka hose clamp) to hold the pump to the hanger. I know people like pictures more then reading so I'll STFU and go take some pic's...

I didn't really check if ANY of the 1.8L mounts would actually work. I just went ahead and bought all the turbo mounts (block and engine craddle / chassis ones). There are ZERO issues. All the turbo mounts bolt right into the car, no cutting or welding. Are you converting one to turbo?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back