The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1.8L 4g37 to 4g63 turbo swap and detailed info.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e85_4g63

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2008
Manheim, Pennsylvania
*** Moderators, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance, please feel free to move it, this is the best forum I felt matched ***

Intro:
I'm sure most of you don't know me (or my name) but I just wanted to start a thread to show off my latest pile of crap. My name is Jayson (btw) and I bought this car in late March (2012). It's a 93 Talon. Base model. No power steering, no rear wiper, no rear defrost, manual locks, mirrors, and windows. The heater blower motor doesn't work either, a real gem, sorta. Moving on, it has the 1.8L 4g37 with a 5 speed gear box, and a (carfax verified) 255K miles, win! I paid $400 for the car (guy kept the wheels) and $120 to have it towed to my buddies house. The overall plan for the car is to do a 4g63 swap to it and show some of you guys (that are interested), how to do it correctly. This isn't the first time I've done 1g 4g63 turbo swaps. I borrowed a set of wheels from my brother (who happened to have a new Mustang that used the same bolt pattern) to get the car home. The car ran, drove (sorta), and is inspected til Oct. 2012. The craigslist ad said the car had "a warped head gasket, a hole in the radiator, and no 5th gear. Turns out, I didn't care at all, because the only plans I had for the motor, trans, wiring harness, ECU, and radiator in the car where free lunch via the scrap yard. With my buddy and mine's work schedules being what they are, we only have weekends to work on the car. I've found numerous threads here on DSMTuners and over on DSMTalk about swapping the 4g37 out in favor of the only motor that should have ever been put in the car (4g63), most of them full of BS and not really telling you how to do the 4g63 swap properly, so I figured this thread could lend a helping hand. First pic is a screen shot of the pictures from the craigslist ad. Next 2 are of the car after I got it to my buddies house. The basic plan as of now is to convert the car to a 4g63 setup and find a good 14b to put on the car. Not going after any records this season, but we'll see what the future holds. Questions, comments, opinions?

4/1/12 Update: (3rd pic) Pulled the dash this weekend to do the 4g63 wiring harness, and figure out what's wrong with the heater blower motor. That was fun :D

Attachments

• P220312_18.22.jpg
    P220312_18.22.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 458
  • P240312_17.00.jpg
    P240312_17.00.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,274
  • P250312_18.35.jpg
    P250312_18.35.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 433
  • P250312_15.20.jpg
    P250312_15.20.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 467
Thanks. I'll keep this thread updated (probably every weekend, since that's when we get to work on the car). My buddy has the garage and tools, but the car, funds, and parts are on me. I've been reading the 14b drag racing thread over the last couple days and think I'd like to take a crack at running the 14b. I'm not going after any records though (those guys have a lot of weight out of there cars, and there setups are geared specifically towards drag racing). I guess at this point I could lay down a couple goals I have for the car personally. Like almost everyone here, I'm on a pretty tight budget. I don't have hundreds of dollars to throw at the car every month. This is definitely not going to be an over night project.

1) Get the car in running / driving order and road worthy

2) Get an actual weight (with driver) on the car (for my profile / time slip info)

3) Get a dyno of the car

I guess as far as other goals, I'm not really interested in any autoX usage. I would like to take a stab at some road course use, but it's not my focus. Drag racing would be fun too, although 90% of the cars life is going to be a street car. I guess safety equipment will need to be addressed, but in do time. I have no intentions of putting a cage in the car, but that could change I suppose. Of course, the 1st goal above will probably take the rest of this year, since I'm basically starting with a body (after the 4g37 stuff is gone).

Here's a quick link to the 14b drag racing thread for those interested. http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drag-strip/355512-14b-drag-race-discussion-thread.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this swap a few years ago, and it was quite a learning experience, to say the least. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm more of a DSMTalk guy, so all of my stuff is documented over there.

Thanks for the replies, I'm heading over to my buddies house tomorrow to work on the car some more. Sunday is Easter, and I have a family lunch / dinner thing so I'll update this tomorrow.

More or less, youll need an ECU+harness+motor/trans preferably from the same car/year. This will make your swap a LOT easier. The ECU can be AWD or FWD and an AWD can be made into a FWD with a simple clip of a resistor. Since youre in PA, i would steer clear of CA emissions ECU's as they can be a headache during this endeavor. Having a front strut/spring setup from a turbo car can help too, but thats up to you.

All in all, its not a hard job, just time intensive :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back