The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Identify this engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcVIII

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 23, 2004
Cleveland / Akron, Oh, Ohio
So I am up as a second chance offer for this engine. Uncertain if its turbo or N/T, whether it runs, if the trans attached to it is FWD or AWD.

Can anyone help guide me and let me know if its a turbo motor or not from the pics?

Ebay Item# 120911337996
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse 4G63 Turbo Engine and 5 Speed Transmission | eBay

The seller said he received it in a trade, unknown on condition, with these numbers stamped on the engine and trans:
Engine # 4G63 - MX8198
Transmission # KF5M332SPZT

Any help appreciated

it seems to me to be a 1g motor on a 2g trans trans. if you look in the bottom pic you can clearly see big 1g ports, but it has the oil cooler on the filter assembly. i believe 6 bolts used the external oil cooler. seems like a 7 bolt motor to me. also, in the 3rd pic it doesn't have the 3 trans mounting points on the block. it has 1 under the thermostat housing, and 1 at the bottom of the block. on a 2g block it has 3 trans to engine bolt holes on the exhaust side of the motor.

case solved: 1g motor, likely 7 bolt, 2g trans :cool:

edit: Damn, you beat me to it!!!

it seems to me to be a 1g motor on a 2g trans trans. if you look in the bottom pic you can clearly see big 1g ports, but it has the oil cooler on the filter assembly. i believe 6 bolts used the external oil cooler. seems like a 7 bolt motor to me. also, in the 3rd pic it doesn't have the 3 trans mounting points on the block. it has 1 under the thermostat housing, and 1 at the bottom of the block. on a 2g block it has 3 trans to engine bolt holes on the exhaust side of the motor.

case solved: 1g motor, likely 7 bolt, 2g trans :cool:

edit: Damn, you beat me to it!!!

Everyone's got to have their say, I guess. LOL

Only 1990 turbo models came with the external oil cooler. 1991 and 1992 6-bolt turbo engines had a water-cooled oil cooler just like the 7-bolts. The bolt patterns for the oil filter housings are different between 6-bolt and 7-bolt engines but it is impossible to determine which pattern it resembles from the pictures provided.

Last edited:
in that case its probably a 1g 94 7 bolt or something how can you tell how big the ports are justin? its so shadowy and you could be looking at the rings of carbon left by the manifold gaskets. its a 2g valve cover anyhow.

+1
and if you buy this make sure its a turbo block! just check for the oil supply at the head, sounds like an NA block in a turbo fwd, gut blew it up and sold it to the junkyard!

Ok, since i didn't poll at the beginning, i'm guessing shipping will be about $200, with that in mind what would everyone do?

Buy and gamble (as we talked, could have cams, internals, etc.) Obviously someone cared about it at some point to put on cam gears

Walk (cobbled together setup, risky seller who claims he knows nothing)

Ok, since i didn't poll at the beginning, i'm guessing shipping will be about $200, with that in mind what would everyone do?

Buy and gamble (as we talked, could have cams, internals, etc.) Obviously someone cared about it at some point to put on cam gears

Walk (cobbled together setup, risky seller who claims he knows nothing)

I wouldn't even consider buying a mystery engine that is sitting in the back of a truck.

+1
and if you buy this make sure its a turbo block! just check for the oil supply at the head, sounds like an NA block in a turbo fwd, gut blew it up and sold it to the junkyard!

Personally, I'd like to know if it was a turbo block before I bought it. :)

There are two ways to determine if the block is actually a turbo block or not and whether the oil feed is at the head isn't one of them (see above rant on bolt-on accessories).

1) Check the VIN.
2) Check for oil squirters which involves pulling the pan and the seller is not likely to do.

OP, recheck the listing or the bold portion from post #3 below and let's put this fiasco to rest.

what makes you think its a 1g? if its a 100% stock motor its got a 2g valve cover 2g water neck, 2g TURBO OIL DRAIN LINE.< so yes turbo motor.. its a damn 2g 7 bolt motor... and it is marketed as a NINTEY EIGHT GSX motor... i would think it is what it says it is...he is asking local pick up only! so unless your gonna drive from Ohio to Oregon i think this thread is pretty useless.

Doing a google search, this guy listed it on just about every freebie site he could find... hmmm

Just to put the turbo/non turbo argument to bed (without the removal of the pan). That blocks got a knock sensor so it's definantly a turbo block.

Doing a google search, this guy listed it on just about every freebie site he could find... hmmm

yeah i noticed that too.... Just don't get it and close this thread. your in dsm shoot out state im sure someone has a nice 6 bolt around there probably with less miles and actually knows WTF is in it.

plus, it probably IS a pick n pull special... no wonder they dont know anything about it...but like i said.. IF you plan to do a rebuild, then what ever just make sure to get it magnafluxed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back