The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

HX35 dyno-264/272 vs 272/272

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spool is the same if not quicker according to the graph with the 272/272, but I would sway towards run to run variation and that it's on two different dynojets. Basically not enough to notice or worry about on my setup.

For this setup, 264/272 was worse all around compared to the 272/272. Cams aren't 100% cut and dry and will respond differently on different setups.

Oh, and regarding the headgasket. This is the second felpro gasket on the same machine surfaces from 2008(no o-ring etc). The first one was on standard ARP's and did great but saw some lean spikes and was also run with excessive timing while on the SAFC and started to push coolant after however long it was on there. I went with L19's just to be done with it and found a good deal.

TKelly, I don't think I'll mess with the Venom SMIM. It would be interesting but it just doesn't fit the character of the build, except that I bought it for $30 :)

Thanks for all the support!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you thought the two torque curves was for the 264/272 and the two hp curves were for the 272/272? They both have torque and hp curves with the 272/272 in blue and the 264/272 in red.

That's exactly what happened, good catch. I assumed the two lighter curves were the 264 and the darker ones were 272, my mistake. That's terribad, I even know the 5252 rule and I still botched that. Scratch everything I said, 272s are a big improvement on this car.

Oh, and regarding the headgasket. This is the second felpro gasket on the same machine surfaces from 2008(no o-ring etc). The first one was on standard ARP's and did great but saw some lean spikes and was also run with excessive timing while on the SAFC and started to push coolant after however long it was on there. I went with L19's just to be done with it and found a good deal.
Thanks so, so much for that.

nice nice nice.
props to you on this car. just a sensible low budget build with fantastic results.
the power curve is PERFECT in IMHO.
300tq at 3450 and solid 500 whp from stock 2.0.

I have to agree on the felpro and 30 psi, i run it daily on e85 with heavy advance in my timing, using the plain jane ARP head bolts properly tightened and maintaned and i'ts been at it for 2 years beaten daily on the same parts store failpro gasket.. I like it as a weak link and i've pushed 438 at the 29 psi and with n20 i push 503 WHP

Awesome results for a stock block! What valve springs are you using with the 272/272's?

Are you running cam gears and playing with cam timing?

You dyno look great. Better than great.

I have dyno appt in late February to dial in my cam gears and reoptimize me link boost control with the changes. I'm hoping to improve my torque onset to reaching 450 before 4000rpm. I doubt I'll improve my max power a whole lot, and won't eclipse 500hp like you with my bep bolt on 7 blade, but with my high compression motor I hope to have the best powerband possible on a 460ish hp 2 liter.

Are you running cam gears and playing with cam timing?

You dyno look great. Better than great.

I have dyno appt in late February to dial in my cam gears and reoptimize me link boost control with the changes. I'm hoping to improve my torque onset to reaching 450 before 4000rpm. I doubt I'll improve my max power a whole lot, and won't eclipse 500hp like you with my bep bolt on 7 blade, but with my high compression motor I hope to have the best powerband possible on a 460ish hp 2 liter.

The reason that Peppers has a great powerband is because of the twin scroll manifold and runner size. Its a simple setup but with a great tune everything is optimize.

A healthy high compression motor with e85 should help a lot.

^^ This is true. I hate to speak for him but he is on stock cam gears. His custom made manifold is most likely where all of his insanely fast spool comes into play. Just by a visual aspect they are considerably smaller than my Redjack manifold. He makes full boost at almost 900 rpm faster than me. This car is retarded fast.

^^ This is true. I hate to speak for him but he is on stock cam gears. His custom made manifold is most likely where all of his insanely fast spool comes into play. Just by a visual aspect they are considerably smaller than my Redjack manifold. He makes full boost at almost 900 rpm faster than me. This car is retarded fast.

What's the runner size on your Redjack TS manifold? As long as its a 1.25 then it should spool identical to peepers setup.

The reason that Peppers has a great powerband is because of the twin scroll manifold and runner size. Its a simple setup but with a great tune everything is optimize.

A healthy high compression motor with e85 should help a lot.

Yea I know the 12cm/divided manifold can Really kick. his numbers and powerband are fantastic. I was just wondering what he was doing as far as cam timing. His car is basically the perfect dsm street/strip setup in my eyes. More fun than big power. I want to go to a divided setup too at some point.

The bolt on housing spools pretty quick too on my high comp motor. I just don't think I'm going to get much more power than I already have made with it. I wish I could make the thread starters power. My dyno visit is just to optimize cam timing and electronic boost control. I'm hoping to shave at least 500 rpm from my torque peak. The guy who is helping me with my cam sprockets spends all day on his dyno everyday wringing every last advantage possible out of moats motors, so I'm hoping we can make a pretty amazing powerband.

I have been looking at dyn charts of 4g63 for 15 years. this setup has majic in its step in the spool department. I would guess even if you tried to copy to a tee you wouldnt get same results. my 2.3 with HTA green cast twin scroll spools about this fast. its amazing to me he did it with a 2.0.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back