The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

Huge problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoosTNThreshold

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 27, 2011
Richlands, North_Carolina
Just installed a manual boost controller and hooked everything back up and now my car sounds like a Subaru but back fires. Wtf is the issue now?

Usually when a car sounds like that, it is because it is not running on all cyls.

While you may have tinkered with the MBC, perhaps as RARE as it may sound * iv'e scene this happen* the computer may have took a dump, or somehow one of your injectors got fried/ went bad.

You know how dsm's are random stuff happens to them all the time.

I would check for any leaks. If all turns up well, I would look into, injectors/coil/cpu. In that order.

Usually when a car sounds like that, it is because it is not running on all cyls.

While you may have tinkered with the MBC, perhaps as RARE as it may sound * iv'e scene this happen* the computer may have took a dump, or somehow one of your injectors got fried/ went bad.

I would check for any leaks. If all turns up well, I would look into, injectors/coil/cpu. In that order.

I hope it's not the CPU.

He's right about running on all cylinders. One way to check what cylinder is down is to let it idle, pull one plug wire off the plug and slowly lift the wire up away where you can see the spark jumping to the wall of the head, if the running cahnges, idles lower or dies that cylinder is firing, if it doesn't change anything the cylinder is your problem and you may have more than one.. if all plugs can be lifted with no change start unplugging the injectors one by one the same way and wait for same results...

I bet you may have unplgged a spark plug, injector or some other wire or plug knocked loose around what you did and that's the cause.. wasthere friends there when you did this? younger friends seemto love to pull peoples plug wires loose or unplug injectors as "jokes" on their friends that don't know well enouth to catch it immediately (so dont' rule them out either LOL )

it would be the least likely event for something inthe ECU to burn up but it is possible.. but you would have had to have shorted something with the key on in most cases to casue this.. if you were working with the key or or better yet what you're supposed to do and unhookedthe battery (which honestly who does for every little thing?? LOL ) but then there would have been less likely to no chance of harming the ECU or other electronics via shorting a wire by accident with a wrench of screwdriver, or even a bare wire/plug connector getting bumped into grounds (anything can happen) butwhat you did was so simple you shouldn't have even been near anything electrical to start with except when hooking up the vacum line ifyou had to do it at the manifold instead of from the turbo compressor housing as most recomend but sometimes isn't an option.

Look over what you did and what's near it, look for anything you could have bumped, touched or moved and check all the connectors that they are snapped together firmly and aren't loose...also make sure they aren't corroded by pulling one or two and looking at the terminals for green or white stuff on the connector mesing withtheconnection

check and get back to us

He's right about running on all cylinders. One way to check what cylinder is down is to let it idle, pull one plug wire off the plug and slowly lift the wire up away where you can see the spark jumping to the wall of the head, if the running cahnges, idles lower or dies that cylinder is firing, if it doesn't change anything the cylinder is your problem and you may have more than one.. if all plugs can be lifted with no change start unplugging the injectors one by one the same way and wait for same results...

I bet you may have unplgged a spark plug, injector or some other wire or plug knocked loose around what you did and that's the cause.. wasthere friends there when you did this? younger friends seemto love to pull peoples plug wires loose or unplug injectors as "jokes" on their friends that don't know well enouth to catch it immediately (so dont' rule them out either LOL )

it would be the least likely event for something inthe ECU to burn up but it is possible.. but you would have had to have shorted something with the key on in most cases to casue this.. if you were working with the key or or better yet what you're supposed to do and unhookedthe battery (which honestly who does for every little thing?? LOL ) but then there would have been less likely to no chance of harming the ECU or other electronics via shorting a wire by accident with a wrench of screwdriver, or even a bare wire/plug connector getting bumped into grounds (anything can happen) butwhat you did was so simple you shouldn't have even been near anything electrical to start with except when hooking up the vacum line ifyou had to do it at the manifold instead of from the turbo compressor housing as most recomend but sometimes isn't an option.

Look over what you did and what's near it, look for anything you could have bumped, touched or moved and check all the connectors that they are snapped together firmly and aren't loose...also make sure they aren't corroded by pulling one or two and looking at the terminals for green or white stuff on the connector mesing withtheconnection

check and get back to us

I always disconnect the battery before any maintenance is done. Positive first then negative. Standard procedure LOL but I will look into I don't the problem and report back as soon as I can. Thanks for the info guys

Getting a spark to all cylinders, but could bad plugs cause problems like this?

it's negative first, reason is if the wrench on the positive while unbolting hits anything around it, there will be a dead short to ground.. But if removing the negative firstand you hit something it's just ground to ground ;)

I guess it's different on a car than on the aircraft I work on its the other way around. I'm thinking about replacing everything again and then going with a SS clutch line. The bleeder on my slave cylinder always strips out. Is there a way to find just a replacement bleeder at a hardware store?

I guess it's different on a car than on the aircraft I work on its the other way around. I'm thinking about replacing everything again and then going with a SS clutch line. The bleeder on my slave cylinder always strips out. Is there a way to find just a replacement bleeder at a hardware store?

Disregard above!!! Sorry for this above post. I had another post started and forgot which one I was posting on. Disregard!!

If the ecu is the problem, can I use any 95-99 gst,gsx,tsi, tsi awd ecu? Or do I have to stick with the 97 gst ecu?

I unplugged all the injectors one at a time with the engine was running an the only one that didn't do anything was the third injector. What does that mean? Should I open up the ecu and check for leaks?

Problem found and fixed! Crazy how this happens. Had to cut the harness to find it. Now im back on the road. Thanks for the help guys

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back