1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Huge backfire, cutting out

Posted by Wasteland, Jul 22, 2020

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Wasteland

Wasteland Probationary Member

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California
    Hope someone sees this.

I have a 96GST That idles fine then a minute down the road it starts backfiring out the pipe and tries to shut off and sometimes does. But it will always idle ok. Revs up blow off does it’s job start going down the road plenty of power then starts cutting off then backfires over and over until you turn key on and off. If you wait about five minutes it acts fine again the the same thing?

I have two for spare so I’ll try whatever. Already check the usual. Timing plugs Wired’s vac leaks coils.... pressures. . Please help I am loosing it. Lol

Backfires out the pipe... not lip .... LOL

Not getting any codes forgot that .... duh o codes

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2020

150  3

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Ludachris

Ludachris Founder & Zookeeper

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    I would suggest you create a vehicle profile for the car and list ALL the mods in that profile: https://www.dsmtuners.com/dsm-profiles/

That info will help others see what you're working with so they can offer up advice. I'm assuming you've done a boost leak test. Was there any work done just before it started doing this? Was it driving fine up until a certain point?

Street Build 9K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (sold)
    manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 8K  10  23

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    435.0 whp · 399.2 lb/ft · 1G DSM
  3. Wasteland

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California
    Slowly learning site. Lol
    I have 5 2g spyders of them 2 are GST.The one with wide body kit was just given to me. Lots of new parts rebuilt head. Under the dash was a nightmare of wiring. That’s when I found an older MAFT 1.3.
    It’s doing something I have never came across in 30+ years of molding cars. It idles fine rev up fine then hold at 3000 rpm or drive for a couple of mins(time varies) and huge backfire and wants to cut out goes back to open loop then once it comes down it goes though same issue.
    Check everything the usual sensors vac etc...
    Any outside the box ideas..

150  3

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. steve

steve DSM Wiseman

Joined Feb 3, 2002
    Boulder, Colorado
    First idea, is to make sure that the BOV is routed back to the intake and not vented to atmosphere

167  4

2008 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Roadster
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

138  5

2002 Audi TT Quattro Roadster 225
    awd · manual · Misc Vehicles

148  2

1992 Dodge Stealth RT/TT
    awd · manual · 3000GT/Stealth

4K  12

manual · 1G DSM
  5. 95FullSend99

95FullSend99 Proven Member

Joined Dec 3, 2019
    ledyard, Connecticut
    Its been a really really long time but....
    First things first, verify that everything is installed correctly. With the maft you need the gm maf and if you want to vent to atmosphere then the maf needs to be after the bov. Make sure you have the correct gm maf. There is a list somewhere on the dsmtalk website I believe. Boost leak test test test test.
    Then i recommend hunting down some old instructions for the maft 1.3. There is a whole section in the instructions about how to tune using a maft. Also get a way to log. If you want to keep it old-school get a PocketLogger. I believe the maft has some dials and such on it used to dial it in.

Street Build 780  12

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    How is the car tuned, since it's using a GM MAF?
    What is being used to tune it, since it's using a GM MAF?

Street Build 9K  0

manual · 2G DSM

7. Wasteland

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California
    That’s one of the first things is when I got the car home I rerouted all vac lines. It ran better but same issue keeps occurring.
    UPDATE:
    Completely retimed and it seemed to work. Drove great pulled strong for about 30 miles hen next day it was like I had never touch it... ABOUT TO TAKE 44 mag and see if that fixes it... LOL
    Any advise even if it sounds dumb or even plain stupid if it worked at one time for you then you have my attention!!

150  3

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Wasteland

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California
    Pretty much stock maf trans not connect. One thing I forgot to add is it is now coding EVAP Control or sending unit I think 4660 code have to check but it’s my bday and down cracking my brain for now!!! Great day for a ride taking the Ducati out a little 3 digit cruising... thanks for you time. We can do this....

150  3

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    So what is being used for the tuning? Stock MAF, injectors and pump? I don't see any of the fuel system or tuning tool mentioned in your profile. See if you can fill in more details about your set up.

Street Build 9K  0

manual · 2G DSM

10. Wasteland

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California
    It’s pretty much stock. I’m looking at it now. On the last few times it did it it has gone longer as far as it didn’t backfire after only a few minutes I went about 30 then it happened. Was bummed out. I did a reset and when it backfires it is throwing a cam senior code. I had a new one so I changed it even though that one was new, just in case, but didn’t change the issue.
    *** Now, what would cause it to throw that code without that being the issue?

150  3

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  11. Wasteland

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California

150  3

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  12. Ludachris

Joined Nov 12, 2001
    Roseville, California
    So stock 2g MAF, stock injectors, stock pump, stock regulator, stock ECU, stock everything except a GM MAF installed but not hooked up? And just to confirm, you did do a boost leak test? Do you have photos of the engine bay? Is the O2 sensor new? What are your plugs gapped at?

See this post about the BOV having RTV in the hole:
    https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/popping-backfires.197577/#post-1646360

What BOV is it?

Street Build 9K  0

manual · 2G DSM

1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.
  13. KYLE JORGENSEN

KYLE JORGENSEN Proven Member

Joined Sep 22, 2018
    Spokane Valley, Washington
    check the cam sensor magnet is probably bad, this will cause backfiring and misfiring and sputter dying, this was the same problem my GSX had when I bought it from a kid, he did not know why it was doing it and ripping his hair out trying to figure it out instead sold it and it took me 10 mins to figure it out and 1 hour to replace the part, it's running like a champ now.

Street Build 297  19

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  20

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON and Ludachris like this.
  14. Wasteland

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California
    Ok
    Stock MAF. Stock Ecu it it’s a 99 and I did the firing order and all that. Did a leak check and that was ok. Plugs gapped at 28. They were at 45-50 so not sluggish at at. Pulls hard up the back firing. Cam sensor just replaced. No vac leaks....

150  3

fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  15. JeffwithaG

JeffwithaG Proven Member

Joined Nov 30, 2017
    Flemington, New Jersey
    How is your fuel pressure? Maybe pull and test the pump?

I've read that a bad PTU can cause similar issues, noticeably worse when engine temps rise. That could explain why your issue gets worse when the engine is warmed up and tends to go away after you cool down for a few minutes. I saw you have several DSMs, maybe you can pull a PTU from another one and swap it?

Street Build 518  6

1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  16. Wasteland

Joined Jul 22, 2020
    Pioneer, California
    Yeah I have plenty spares. Lol
    Going to start again in about an hour and a half.
    BOV Some aftermarket one. Do have to check pressure of fuel. I have AEM reg new in he box. Still coding EVAP and cam sensors. Cam code kicks in during/after backfire. I’ll add some engine pics or vid when I get home.

150  3

fwd · manual · 2G DSM