The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

How to install my 2g full polyurethane front and rear roll stops/motor mounts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So, a press is required to install or no? Seems like something that a vice and a BFH w/ some lube can accomplish.

Looking forward to getting my set - I'm sure with my A/T, the difference will be negligible, but anything I can do to minimize drivetrain motion will be beneficial.

Next up will be full poly suspension bushings. :sneaky:

So, a press is required to install or no? Seems like something that a vice and a BFH w/ some lube can accomplish.

Looking forward to getting my set - I'm sure with my A/T, the difference will be negligible, but anything I can do to minimize drivetrain motion will be beneficial.

Next up will be full poly suspension bushings. :sneaky:

if you have access to a press I recommend using one for at least the rear mount since you will need to get the stock bushings out and press in the new sleeve, (reference the 1st post in theis thread) the front is very simple though you can knock it out with an air-hammer or cut it out with sawzall.

it can be and has been done by some without a press but some have tried and given up and just went to a shop with a press to have it done

i actually redesigned the rear sleeve to make it a bit easier to install ill post some pics of the revised one in a couple days

well i have been told otherwise, even with an Auto there's a vast improvement, even more so if you have full line pressure

Ok i got round to some pics including one of the revised rear insert.

Notice the step to accommodate the different diameter holes in the rear mount
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And heres just some more pics of the mounts and bushes.

It was ok i used two large washers and a long thick bolt and wound it in. Well when i say washers i used my water pump pulley and an old crank sprocket. Thing is i bent the water pump pulley so i need a new one now :ohdamn:

But it went in fine. Really happy. Cant wait to install the engine. Thanks Adam:thumb:

that sucks... but glad you got them in, sorry about you getting an undersized sleeve, i think it worked out good because you would have had a really hard time getting the old style outer sleeve in

AAH don't mention it. Like i said i was in no hurry. Speak soon :thumb:

Just thought i should mention this. What Adam was talking about was the sleeve for the rear roll stop. The one he originally sent was slightly under size. When i mentioned this to Adam, with no questions nor complaint he not only sent me a new one, but the revised version. This is why I came back to him for parts. Great guy.

Last edited:
************REVISION TO INSTALL************

I have since revised the sleeve for the rear mount, so if you have the new revised sleeve

you now need to press the new sleeve in from the larger diameter side of the rear mount to the small side, you must still use the half sleeve provided to keep the mount nice and straight while pressing or knocking out the old rubber mount and while pressing in the revised sleeve

**********NOTE TO MODS****************

can someone please copy this post and add it to the end of the 1st post, I can no longer edit the 1st post

Thanks
Adam

The new sleeve looks nice.

I finally got around to getting my set of roll stops in recently, but the sleeve was the old style. The first local machine shop I tried pressed the rear out and the new sleeve in for $30. I thought it was a little expensive, but couldn't talk him down and didn't want waste time looking elsewhere. At least he had it done in a couple hours.

Getting the rear mount in and out was a real pain, so doing the front was much easier. Some work with a torch on the rubber and carefully cold chiseling on the sleeve and voila!

I found out that my rear mount bolt was stuck between the subframe and firewall before installing these, so please take into account that I went from essentially 3 OEM mounts to this. FYI The driver and passenger side mounts are still 100% OEM and the care is mostly stock.

Took photos with phone, but they came out pretty bad.

Overall these mounts are really nice and greatly improved shifting. At first I feel noticeably more vibration in the steering wheel, but it seems to have pretty much gone away now so the mounts must have settled a bit. What I thought was driveshaft movement seems to have the motor mount or caused by it. Best fix/upgrade I've done in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well got around to installing the mounts not in the car yet, that will happen tomorrow.
These mounts are hella easy to install. First took the moujts out of the car. Now i planned ahead and put the new sleeve for the rear mount in the freezer over night. To get the old sleeves out i used a vice to hold the mount then used an air hammer/ chisel to remove them. This took all of 5 minutes. The poly bushings dont need to be pressed in they just slide in. As for the rear sleeve it was very easy as well. I had the new style sent to me so it was extremely easy. I first used a vice to get the sleeve some of the way in. Then i moved it to a press and it literally took like 5 pumps and was in. Mind you it was still frozen at time of install. The whole process took 10 maybe, maybe 15 min tops. I will post more when i get them installed on the car and get a test drive in.

Well got around to installing the mounts not in the car yet, that will happen tomorrow.
These mounts are hella easy to install. First took the moujts out of the car. Now i planned ahead and put the new sleeve for the rear mount in the freezer over night. To get the old sleeves out i used a vice to hold the mount then used an air hammer/ chisel to remove them. This took all of 5 minutes. The poly bushings dont need to be pressed in they just slide in. As for the rear sleeve it was very easy as well. I had the new style sent to me so it was extremely easy. I first used a vice to get the sleeve some of the way in. Then i moved it to a press and it literally took like 5 pumps and was in. Mind you it was still frozen at time of install. The whole process took 10 maybe, maybe 15 min tops. I will post more when i get them installed on the car and get a test drive in.

Sounds like the new sleeve is a lot easier for everyone, i dont know why i didnt think to do that in the 1st place

:thumb:

Well finally got them installed in the car. Very easy to install. I installed the bolt through the center of the mount first before I bolted them down to the frame. The rear mount was more difficult and I put it together out of the car with the tranny part of the mount as well. After I installed the bolt through the center i then installed it as a unit and it was very easy! I noticed more vibrations at idol with these mounts installed but I'm sure it will disappear with time once they break in. These mounts improved shifting a lot! Also I had quite a bit of noise coming from my drive train. I slowly worked my way up from the rear to the front and my motor mounts were the culprit even with inserts. These new mounts took care of all of it. I highly recommend these to anyone and I don't know why no one has made these before. Buy these they are great and very easy to install! Great job Adam!

Im glad your happy, i have yet to have someone not like them

I have recently made a HD version for the front mount, it is the same thing but made out of 90A polyurethane. i haven't tested it yet, i plan to have a local friend of mine give it a good beating for awhile and see what happens, but im confident it will hold up since the 75a ones work for everyone,

this will be for the serious drag cars id say any car that is tracked regularly or any car pushing 500+ hp

All you really need is these front and back mounts you can even run the stock side monts and feel a big difference. I love my sets fitment was great and they do what there supose to do. I dont know why everyone doesn't have a set in there car?

These look amazing, and install was a breeze. Save your self the trouble and get the old rubber pressed out at a shop for a few bucks. I was worried about where the holes needed to line up inside the mount, but after just eyeballing it, it went right in.

I've yet to try them out because of a faulty alternator, and breaking in the new clutch, but I can already tell they will help significantly. Good work Adam :thumb:

EDIT: Got the car back on the road and I gotta say these feel amazing! Before, almost anytime I'd let off the gas coming to a stop, accelerating, ect. the car would kind of jolt. I wrote it off as "it's just an old car." With the new mounts, it's completely gone. Under harder acceleration, the car feels much more solid. And I noticed ZERO extra vibration.
A+, I would definitely buy another set if I had another DSM.

Last edited:
I have the PITA prothane inserts. My steering wheel vibrates at idle. Maybe it's me getting older, but it surely is annoying. Highly considering on replacing them with these. Anyone have these installed combo'd with the prothane motor/trans mounts? Almost considering going back to stock motor/trans mount coupled with this.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back