The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G How to install Apexi AVCR in 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apexi AVCR Install in 1g
------------------------

This install really isn't that difficult if you feel ok with tapping wires at your ECU, and in my opinion the hardest part is getting that horribly designed wiring harness threw the firewall. If you have not yet looked at the AVCR kit you've purchased now would be a good time.

1. First off you need to find a place where you want to mount the AVCR display/control in your car. Several members of the forum make mounting brackets/kits that will allow you to mount them in several places. I simply put mine by the stereo and did a custom job.

2. While you're playing with the cars interior it's time to pull out the stereo and side panels so you can get to the ECU's wiring. You're going to need to tap into several wires there.

3. Now get under the hood and choose a mounting location for the boost control solenoid. They recommend a place far away from very hot areas and you need plenty of clearance for the rubber hoses. I've chosen to mount it right on the battery box, and trimmed the screws so they don't go threw. Wherever you choose, go ahead and mount it. Then pull the rubber hoses off from the airbox to the BCS to the T from the high pressure turbo outlet and the wastegate. Then simply connect the NO (normally open) part of the solenoid to the high pressure turbo outlet (a T off the BOV line is good here); and the COM port to the wastegate actuator. Make sure you close up any non-used ports. Boost control solenoid part is done.

Attachments

• bcs-1.jpg
    bcs-1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 5,708
  • AVC-R_manual_44_0001.jpg
    AVC-R_manual_44_0001.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 7,184
4. Now comes the hard part, let's get that wiring harness threw the firewall. There are two main locations that can be used without drilling your own. You can go threw at the drivers side by punching the connectors threw near the steering column, or you can push that rectangular end threw the firewall on the passenger side at the big wiring grommet. Either way you're going to have to work hard to get those big connectors threw. If you don't mind voiding the warranty on the cable at least I'd recommend you cut the wire in half, stick it threw much easier (same as most stereo installs now), and solder the two halves back together.

5. Now that you've got that done it's time to do another easy one. Find a place to mount the pressure sensor. I decided to put it near the fuel solenoid at the firewall, it's rather easy to do. Then simply T it into the fuel pressure solenoid line that comes from the intake manifold. Pressure sensor part is done.

Attachments

• ps-1.jpg
    ps-1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 5,151
6. Now that everything else is done, it's time to tap some connections at the ECU. The attached picture tells you everything you need to know about what wires go where. I recommend buying some of the crimp on wire taps at walmart, you'll need the blue
ones, and one yellow one (for the 12v source).

Note: Pin 51, injector pulse duty can only be attached if you leave the RPM wire off, this choice is up to you.

(The picture was borrowed from the HKS turbo timer install, and modified for the extra wires needed here)

Attachments

• ECU Wires 1g.jpg
    ECU Wires 1g.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 7,252
7. Now that you're finished with the wiring all that's left is to put the car back together and mount the display where you choose. Make sure to hide the wire as best you can to make it look good! At this point if you'd like you can also attach the scramble boost switch (any momentary push switch) to the wiring harness.

8. Set it up! The unit is fairly well setup for our cars from the factory, although you want to adjust the boost settings obviously. Start out with your favorite boost level in psi * 0.0689475729 which will give you your boost in BAR. Then set the duty cycle to 30% to start. Up it 2-5% at a time until you achieve your boost level; and in general play with the thing, it's the only way to learn it. Have fun!

Attachments

• final-1.jpg
    final-1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 5,118
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back