The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Help with tcu

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damn this place does not want to give me my money back

damn this place does not want to give me my money back
Have you verified what your problem is yet ? You might as well keep it till you've done that...

So I talked to The op..Hes saying the shop tranny shops where he has gotten the all of his "new" tcu's have just been aholes..And they keep giving him a broken one..So maybe the shops in his area are just shady characters..But I know something isn't right..

I got my shift box yesterday so I going to see (and hope) that works.

hey Tim is this the thread you were mentioning? Please post up how you hooked yours up in the same manor as i did mine color cordinatated. It makes it so much easier to read and not become confused, also give me name brand of your headphone jack, as it's important.

I copied this to refresh our situation.

I just hooked mine up to the steering wheel as well.
All i had to buy was a scossche adapter plug at walmart in the automotive section to get the heavy duty earphone jack, for $10. It comes with a AUX adapter for ipods to connect to your stereo. (obviously thats not needed)
I comes with 6 ft of cord so you don't have to do any ugly tape work.

The cables are different then the listed demonstration.

In this cable it has red, white, blue, and a bare wire. You won't use the blue wire.
The bare wire is the ground.
red on H jack went to green car harness plug
white on H jack went to blue car harness plug

One thing that wasn't given in full detail was the ground wire behind the steering wheel for the horn needs to be removed from the plug on the horn. Just cut the 2 wires away. twist them together and then solder them to your ground wire heat shrink and your done.
This project with getting my iron and supplies out took 30 minutes.

One thing i plan on doing is contacting Tim about another digital display, maybe even bigger if possible. I'd like to add it into my gauge cluster to have an OEM feel, as well as allowing me to visually see what gear i am in with a glance. then allowing me to permanently mount the box inside of the lifted up elbow rest.
The whole project cost $10, their was no need for any other wiring. I hid the wire under my dash and ran it up through the console. I removed the ash tray as the box fits perfectly in their. Once removed you see a hole in the bottom, Thats a perfect spot to run the jack wire though for a clean seamless install, with no worries of being nicked or bent causing binding.

Last edited:
I got the same scossche that you said. 6ft heavy wire with the seperate ipod jacks for 10$ at walmart LOL. Mine only have a red blue and bare wire. My horn buttons have a purple and black comming from either one. I took the blue wire on the Hjack and connected it to one purple, took the red wire on the Hjack and connected that to another purple, Then took the bare ground and wraped it around the other grounds an threw some tape over it. It works for the most part, my question is that the purple wires are thicker then the Hjack wires. Could that cause my delayed shifts in my car? I have to hold down the button to get a shift, sometimes it shift imedeatly and sometimes it wont shift at all. The delay sucks cause I know how to shift smoothly but I need to time it right and the delay may riun that for me.

The size of wire is not the issue, i understand how that could be a worry, but it's not.

To fix your clock spring. it has to be replaced with a new one, as they get old and wore out, but you need to be using a clock spring if you are not as well/

also your horn buttons themselves may be wore out, causing poor connections for your shift.

The size of wire is not the issue, i understand how that could be a worry, but it's not.

To fix your clock spring. it has to be replaced with a new one, as they get old and wore out, but you need to be using a clock spring if you are not as well/

also your horn buttons themselves may be wore out, causing poor connections for your shift.

What is a clock spring? I only have the harness with the buttons i dont have the whole wheel in itself.

that's your issue then.
You need the whole assembly. The clock spring is what allows you to turn your steering wheel and the wires keep the correct connections without moving or ripping them apart.

I dont have them mounted yet and they are still bad, it maybe the buttons, it feels when i press more at the bottom of the button they shift better.

naw IM just using the 2g button harness, I love the 1g steering wheel look, not to found of the 2g's. Im going to try another button harness casue im thinking it the buttons. I soldered the wires (they were twsited and taped before) and it made it a little better. Going to the junkyard tomarrow and pull some other buttons.

i got a FB Tim Fanslau is my name

Tim: did you ever get this figured out and working on the 1g?

No I used a couple of differnt 2g horn buttons none w/o luck, they shifts are all delayed, so I just been using the box regularly, I was planning on making my own set up but I have a bunch of other issues with my car currently.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back