The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Help with tcu

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm surprised Bud didn't know what it was.

I have never had a reason to use it..Which I'm also kind of shocked I didn't know what it was for either..

That's what that palm cable was connected too, when I got my talon..Now it all makes sense...

That's what that palm cable was connected too, when I got my talon..Now it all makes sense...

Yep, that where the datalogger cable attaches. The connector originally was originally attached to the side of the fuse box and locked into place but over time the locking part seems to fail. If you look close you'll see both the tab on the fuse box and the slots in the connector they fit into in the picture.

Ohhh yeah that white looking thing on the side there is actually where it's suposed to be locked onto.Huh..Well for not being online too long today I have already learned something I did not know..

I wish I had a palm cause I have the cable..

i just want m car to work:( Any way i also occasinally when i shift betweem park and reverse or drive and reverse i hear a clink, any idea what that is?

Mine has done that for years nothing serious yet..I always go D to P, then to reverse..The clunk is super worse if you go from d, to R..And R, to D..

It probably needs a rebuild but Just do like I do and you won't have any serious preoblems..My shifts are Also super hard with full line pressure and I havn't had any problems yet..

+1 on the clunks, mine does the same thing now and again.

I converted my car over from 5 speed to auto and the TCU from my donor car looked like a bomb went off inside it. I wired it up to shift manually all the time with a hurst ratchet shifter and full line pressure. Albeit it's only been a couple months but so far so good. I've found the spots to shift it where it's not so rough and as long as you wait until your stopped to downshift into 1st it's fine. You can downshift into 1st but you have to be accelerating before you do.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

+1 on the being almost stopped to shift into 1st..I chirped my tires once on accident..I'llll never do that again..I usuallly start in 2nd gear then switch to 1st when I take off..Or just cruise in 2nd, whatever mood im in..

What's your red button and switch for?

i wouldnt mind the whole shift box idea if it was a shifter instead of buttons, looks and fells more natural.

I looked a bit seems like ratchet shifting is kind of like auto stick if im not mistaking. Does that work well?

i wouldnt mind the whole shift box idea if it was a shifter instead of buttons, looks and fells more natural.

I looked a bit seems like ratchet shifting is kind of like auto stick if im not mistaking. Does that work well?

Exactly, makes the transmission manumatic. I like it but I didn't really have a choice in my situation and I don't daily drive the Talon. The ratchet shifter will only get you through 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I wired up the power/ect button for overdrive.

^ Speaking of Manu-matic, have you seen my DIY Clutchless Manual thread?

Keep the OEM shifter & TCU (working or not) and wire up a switch to enable the Manumatic mod for manual 'spirited' driving conditions :D

check it out... if not a permanent fixture, just for a temporary solution until you can fix the TCU. I've made/installed mine several years ago & I like the ability to manually control not only the gear I'm in, but the full line pressure as well for DD.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...y-1g-clutchless-manual-mod.html#post151432174

As for the glunks when shifting from For-->Rev gears, that is most likely your drivetrain. -Specifically, your propeler driveshaft carrier bushings are most likely wasted. More on that here:

Thump Fix Carrier Bearing

problem is im not to good on working one cars:(

Have you found out if your tcu is a 2 plug or 3 plug yet??

And If you really cant figure it out, and are that unhappy with the car, my offer will stand..

oh sorry yea mine is a 3 plug i knew that for a while. And i am happy with it I will be happier when it works properly

So send me your tcus, or see if steve can have one of his buddys with an auto drive over and see if they can figure out if the tcu's you have are junk or not..

You own a 20 year old DSM, given time you will be.

I want to, but im afraid that im going to ruin my car, and its my DD. I would save allot of money if i knew how to work on it myself. And one of the problems with my TCU is that it has one of those stickers on it that make it so you cant open it or they wont take it back(the company that sold it to me)

You might as well send it back if your not going to pull the sticker off...
You can use any three plug TCU in your car..Be it a 1.8, 2.0, fwd....All will work....The 2.0 turbo TCUs will shift the closest to normal..

I'm shifting with my horn buttons and the roadsurge box. My tcu is good. I was unaware of the rarity of good ones, maybe I have a diamond in the rough. I don't use the tcu as it's not even in the car anymore, it's sitting in my house on a shelf.

I love my horn paddle shifters though :thumb:

Are you sure it's not your solenoids leaking fluid through the seal. Thats what was wrong with mine when it wouldn't shift.

Make sure the caps are replaced or it won't be a good one long term.

Just like with the ECU there are capacitors in it that are prone to leaking. Unlike the ECU when they leak they often damage parts that cause the voltage regulator to pump 12v on the 5v bus and fry everything.

I had two trans shops look at it already, the first checked the solenoids, if i use a tcu from a fwd, n/t, or non awd would that affect the performance of my car?

It shouldn't hurt the performance at all..A tcu is a tcu..It controls shiftting that all it does..On an auto al you have to do is out your foot to the floor and it will downshift and go just like any other auto..Also the n/t's also had the economy, power button if I'm not mistaken so it should not hurt anything at all..I would send the tcu back if they sold you a junk one..That's what warrenties are for..If the trans shop tested the solonoids then either they don't know what they are doing or, there acutaly good, and it comes back to being the tcu that is junk..

Keels how did you get the paddle shifters..That's awsome..That would save you from having your right hand on the shift box..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back