The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Help with no-start issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini zilo

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 17, 2006
Chicago, Illinois
I just finished removing all the automatic wires and sensors from my wiring harness, because the car is manual now. All I did was cut and remove the wires going to the sensors. When I reinstalled the harness, the car cranks but will not start. Although occasionally it will fire one cylinder while cranking.

Things I have checked-
-Spark on all 4 cylinders
-CAS and CPS-both plugged in
-ECU and dash plugs are in
-Changed Spark Plugs

Heres the intersting thing, when I pulled the plugs two of them were covered in gas and two of them weren't.

What does that mean? Does anyone have any suggestions?

-I haven't done anything to the car since it was drivable other than pull the harness

Joe, I'm afraid you don't have much choice but to use brute force at this point.

You will have to check each and every wire from the ECU to the other end of the harness until you find a break or a misrouted signal. That will cover much of the engine wiring harness but there are still some power and grounds you will need to also check. If you think about where you did the most surgery and start testing with those areas you might get lucky and find the problem without having to test every connection. I can't think of a simple magic bullet at this point for you.

While checking the MPI relay is a good common suggestion, the fact that the car fires a cylinder indicates that during those times the MPI relay is feeding the ECU power. A better indication is just that the CEL works during buld test and if the factory boost gauge goes to 0 when your not cranking. Both of those indicate that the MPI relay activated and provided power to the ECU. A person might have problems with the fuel pump side of the relay but The odds are really really low that the main power side works but the FP side doesn't.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back