The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G HELP! Rear ABS Sensor Needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vincent Coker

Probationary Member
Mar 29, 2021
Trussville, Alabama
Hello fellow DSMer's. So I went to replace rear wheel bearings on my 1998 Eclipse GSX and it has turned into a huge job! Looks like rust has really done a number on the rear suspension and after lots of banging and cutting I got it all apart. Unfortunately though, I had to destroy the rear ABS sensors in order to get the removed.

So apparently, nobody makes these sensors anymore. I was able to find a new right rear sensor on Amazon (PN ALS52), but I need the other sensor as well which is ALS905. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can find this sensor (or something equivalent)?

Best,

Vincent

Does anyone make these anymore? I'm rebuilding my suspension and was going to remove mine to clean up the knuckle off the car, but I know they have like zero chance of coming out without destroying them, and I like ABS.

If you do find a reasonable source - do share. I gave up, and don't have ABS anymore. Not a big loss IMO, as I never liked how the DSM ABS was working on track. It did serve me well enough on snow, but for dry performance, I never liked what it did to unsettle the car, and point me in the wrong direction.

If you do find a reasonable source - do share. I gave up, and don't have ABS anymore. Not a big loss IMO, as I never liked how the DSM ABS was working on track. It did serve me well enough on snow, but for dry performance, I never liked what it did to unsettle the car, and point me in the wrong direction.

I plan on doing some light track work with the car so it will be interesting to see how I like it. After making a few calls, seems most people delete the ABS on these cars which I don't understand. I got REALLY lucky and found a driver side rear sensor on Amazon for $100. I just ordered a sensor for a 2000 Galant from eBay that I believe will work. Looks like they ended up going with a sensor that will work for LH or RH (so the wire is angled coming out of the sensor instead of 90 degrees). So if the depth is correct I will report back and let everyone know.

Also, I ended up grind out the holes a bit larger-so the new sensor just drops in. That should prevent them from getting stuck again in the future.

I plan on doing some light track work with the car so it will be interesting to see how I like it. After making a few calls, seems most people delete the ABS on these cars which I don't understand. I got REALLY lucky and found a driver side rear sensor on Amazon for $100. I just ordered a sensor for a 2000 Galant from eBay that I believe will work. Looks like they ended up going with a sensor that will work for LH or RH (so the wire is angled coming out of the sensor instead of 90 degrees). So if the depth is correct I will report back and let everyone know.

Also, I ended up grind out the holes a bit larger-so the new sensor just drops in. That should prevent them from getting stuck again in the future.
Its going to come down to personal preference, dependent on driving conditions.

On dry pavement, I found it odd. Good in a straight line but on the threshold on turn in - not happy - weird counter intuitive balance. When the abs solenoids are cycling, it tries to rotate the car back in a straight line, which is the opposite thing you want at that moment.

On slippery surfaces it performs nicely - I prefer to have this available as a safety enhancement.

Last edited:

Let us know!!!!! Would those (galant) work front and rear then? or just rear? Also, just grease them up/antiseize and they should be fine. The factory didn't which is why they all get stuck according to Jafro, he just mentioned that in his GSX subframe rebuild videos.

Let us know!!!!! Would those (galant) work front and rear then? or just rear? Also, just grease them up/antiseize and they should be fine. The factory didn't which is why they all get stuck according to Jafro, he just mentioned that in his GSX subframe rebuild videos.
So the Galant sensor will work. It is taller so you have to use some washers to space it out some, but it will work! The cable connector is different so I will have to swap it out, but otherwise it's good! I will post some pictures when I get it all back together.

I got mine off of eBay. The part number is ALS59. You can pick up some 18 mm fiber washers from McMaster-Carr for $5 (100 per pack and they are .8 mm thick I believe). There difference in height is about 9.5 mm's.

ALS59 Sensor here

These are just for the rears. Looks like the front sensors are no longer available as well...:(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back