The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

HELP! Idle/Start/Power Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLeMMeR

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 10, 2011
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Hey guys soo I have multiple problems it would be better off listing them. My car is currently sitting at a friends house, my battery seems to drain like something is always running and wont start. Heres my problems:
1. Idle bouncing like its an IAC problem but Only sometimes
2. Lights outside car are flickering when we jumped it tonight
3. THE RPMs Sky Rocketed to 4k as soon as the car started up
4.The battery is always getting drained from something canstantly pulling power even when the car is off.
5. My fuse is making a buzzing noise ("The Tailight one". Its the not the fuse itself but what it connects to, any fuse buzzes there when the battery is connected, as soon as there is no power running to that fuse it starts to buzz while the battery is connected.. sorry if thats a little confusing.)
6. My check engine light ONLY comes on when it idles, as soon as I give it gas it goes away

My TPS has already been changed to a new one, and someone suggested it might be a bad alternator for the drainign battery? But idk how my check engine light ties into this, why my RPMs go to 4k when i start it and why the Tailight fuse connection buzzes. Any suggestions ro Input would be GREATLY appreciated as this is my only car and I need it back ASAP, we will be checking the codes it throws tomorrow and will update on that, Thanks.

first make sure you do have a good battery, you can go to advance or auto zone and they'll test your system and will tell you how much power you are losing or if its a bad alternator, as far as the relay buzzing i would just change it with a known good one and see if it still buzzes

I had problems with flickering lights and such when my battery was low on charge. My problem was that I had some fuses blown due to not all the grounds being properly connected. Get a good trickle charge on it, your alternator will have a hard time charging a low battery even if you drive it for a while. Check for broken and corroded grounding points especially.

*Update*

Okay so my Cel was throwing 14 which is the TPS, so today I'm gonna take it off and put it back on again, I couldn't manage to fully get to it last time without taking the fuel rail off. Is there any other way if anyone knows a secret haha.
I also am going to take out my alternator to see if it's bad due to my battery drain, I couldn't find any shorts in the lines or relays.

*Update*

Okay so my Cel was throwing 14 which is the TPS, so today I'm gonna take it off and put it back on again, I couldn't manage to fully get to it last time without taking the fuel rail off. Is there any other way if anyone knows a secret haha.
I also am going to take out my alternator to see if it's bad due to my battery drain, I couldn't find any shorts in the lines or relays.

before you take out the alternator take it to advance auto parts an they will check it for you, thats simpler than going straight to taking it out and checking it

Check the ground make sure its all good and i would use a DVOM to check and see where the voltage is going to

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back