The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Help Identifying AWD Manual Trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaster1812

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2002
Mississauga, ON_Canada
Sooooo I bought a parts car with this transmission with a switchable transfer case and I have no clue what it came out of. Installed it last week along with the transfer case, went for a cruise on the highway when all of the sudden the wheels started binding(don't know if it was front or rear) and had to pull over. Tried to move forward but the car just did a hopping motion till I put it in reverse and moved a couple of feet. Did it the following day as well.. I attached a picture of the code on the transmission

Attachments

• IMG_20200822_021613.jpg
    IMG_20200822_021613.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200822_021613.jpg
    IMG_20200822_021613.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 72
Just googling C11BPH yields mostly results from Russian DSM forums, and from my understanding this type of trans comes from a JDM GVR-4. However, I wasn't aware that Galants ever had a switchable transfer. You may have damaged the center diff or tcase already.

After reading alot of Russian sites it looks like the transmission is out of a 2.0 AWD Galant non-turbo and the transfer case is out of a JDM VR-4 Galant. I'm going to say the ratio's don't match up? Just speculating...​

Unfortunately it seems you already destroyed something.
The "BPH" is a KM221 transmission from pre '90 JDM Eterna which have 5.864 final and 2.846 rear, so you can't run it on a DSM without swapping the rear end with the 2.846 gears. The t-case that came with that trans is basically the same as 90 DSM or JDM early GVR4 t-case (22 spline/12 turn).
KM225 trans (22 spline output shaft) with a "PH" code is the one that you can run on a DSM without swapping anything. It has the same ratios as DSM.

Sounds to me like the transfer case is binding, seen it happen many times in cars that I have driven or been a passenger in, its like a semi truck is jake braking in your back seat in my experience. And btw I have been to Mississauga before, interesting place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back