The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

420A Help! ATX seems to have died.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shades tinting

Probationary Member
1
0
Oct 4, 2026
barrie, ON, Canada
Hello. I'm new to this site and was hoping for some advice.

I purchased a 98 Talon ESi for a first car for my daughter. This past week the transmission crapped out on me. It stopped going into any gear at all while it's running.

I would just replace the entire car however this one only has 110k on it and I've already put many new parts on it. I pumped out a bunch of the ATF and replaced with new fluid. Now the car will engage the reverse gear but sounds like shredding when I try any forward gears.

Does anyone have any advice on whether I can get this transmission back to good health or look at alternatives?
 
I'm not very knowledgeable but i do know the non-turbo 2G cars (barring the spyder) use parts pertaining to Chrysler. As such the automatic transmission (F4AC1/41TE) for the Talon ESI should use Chrysler ATF+4, any other trans fluid and there may be issues from what I researched. If you use multi-vehicle fluid you wanna make sure it is compliant with MS9602.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
 

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Did you notice metal shavings when draining the fluid? And could you get a video of the noise when trying to engage drive? Also did the fluid smell burned?
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest Classifieds

  • For sale 2g 2g AWD auto trans case
    2g AWD auto trans case. No broken bolts or stripped threads. Bead blasted case will look new...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 2g 2g GST auto trans case
    2g auto trans case. With bearing plate and end case covers. Good condition. Trans was like...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • Wanted 2g 2g radiator support
    Im looking for a radiator support if anyone has one
    • Fundsm
    • Updated:
    • Expires
  • For sale 4G63 3 inch Magnaflow SS high flow cat. CA approved.
    3 inch Magnaflow stainless cat. High flow. 18.25 inches. Flange holes are 4 1/8 center. Has...
    • Galant665
    • Updated:
  • For sale 4G63 Race parts.
    Brand new seal in box Kigglys HLA 175$Kigglys 12 tooth billet crankshaft triggel setup 250$...
    • GST2012GSX
    • Updated:
    • Expires
Back
Top